What Is The Deal With Used Timmy prices?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrockbridge, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

:crazyguy My eyes started crossing about 3 sentences into that one.....haha

2. leblee

leblee Supporting Member

I came here expecting a comedy bit on Timmy prices.

3. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Relic'd?

4. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Of course!

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  5. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I have a Timmy story that probably will be familiar with lots of Timmy owners. At one point, I had a Timmy with the DIP switches on the inside. I needed a little more cash for an amp purchase quick and knew it would be the easiest pedal to sell immediately. Paul had switched to putting the 3 way switch on the outside, which I preferred, and I was going to get a new one anyway. Back then, many were going for around $200 used, (because the wait was so long) and I sold mine in one day for $165 shipped and immediately got "in line" for a new one from Paul.

I've had this one for years now and it won't ever be for sale.

I've said this before, but I talked to Paul on the phone several times and he was such a great guy, talking about what pedals, amps, speakers, etc. I'd be using and offering advice, talking gear and tone, etc. From my experience, he and David Barber are the two coolest guys in the pedal world.

jblake and Snottyboy like this.
  6. Shnook

Shnook Member

I had a 2003 Tim that I bought from the original owner in 2004 and had it on my board until I sold it a few months ago. I had it listed here for $275. Then $250. Then $225. Not one nibble. Finally I sold it locally for $200. Oddly enough I got $300 for an old custom color Timmy back in 2008.

7. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    There is a Tim pedal. It's a Timmy with a boost switch added, and effects loop.
    My version has a 3 position mini toggle to change up the tone of the saturation.

8. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

So, Jimi Hendrix played my first-run Timmy pedal on “Little Miss Lover”.
    Jiminy HENDRICKS! LIDDLEMISS LUBBER!!!

I absolutely have Documents of Provenance which include 2 original watercolors, a really really realistic line-drawing of Jimi-+-Timmy (in profile, from 30 yards) as purported to be made by Lola Fallacious (World Famous, Court-appointed Sketch Artiste for the Bernie Madé-Offwiddit Show), and a personal email which includes an attached .pdf of my own latest Cookbook-in-Pictures, “The Shining Food-Trucks of Howrah Bridge”.
    For your very own copies of this Historically Accurate depiction of what may be Documentation, please PAYPAL (“friends & family” only) USD 1129.00 ASAP to:
    edromanish@wtfu-up-to.org

9. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

People don't know this, but before he played the Timmy he went by Jimbo.

10. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

yup! i know.
    plus which, i really dig his signature gin, which just so happens to pair well with a Timmy + Roger Mayer wieners.

11. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

When I bought mine several years ago used prices were around $115 for one. I bought a new green one from Humbucker Music instead. It has been very useful.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

This is actually backwards. The Tim came first, with boost and loop. Then @PaulC simplified it and made the gain sort of partway between the OD side and OD plus boost. So, the Tim is more flexible, higher gain, but bigger (and no longer made). I think the original joke was still funny, even if it might have confused newcomers.

C-4 likes this.
  13. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

I believe I had the first orange Timmy....back then if you caught Paul on a good day he'd do a custom color.

14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

Is there any way to tell the date on these? I have an old one - bread board, internal dip switches that I got in a trade.
    It gots teh mojo too.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  15. AudioEcstasy

AudioEcstasy Member

I usually see them for around 90-100 on Reverb. They seem to be at the ideal point of supply/demand

16. slowburn

slowburn Member

Mine is old school build bread board custom one off black color with internal dip switches and paint chips and is missing one of the plate screws. So is it worth $600?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  17. jblake

jblake Member

I’ve owned 5 different Timmy specimens, but I have never bought or sold one. Each one came into and left my possession as a trade equalizer when the trade was lopsided $100 in one direction. For example, DRRI for a PRRI and a Timmy. It’s just one of those plentiful, consistently-loved pedals that is like currency among gear traders.