What is the difference: Leslie Sim vs. Vibe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock72, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Can anyone explain to my simple brain the difference between a Leslie-simulator and a Vibe (was the univibe developed to simulare rotating speakers?)....? Will they take me into the same 'ballpark' soundwise?

Thanks,
    Christian

2. gregory49

gregory49 Member

to me a leslie sound is like a slightly modulated tremelo at a low depth setting... where a vibe is like somewhat of a heartbeat... i can't really explain what a vibe is.

3. Sandro

Sandro Member

Yeah the vibe has a pulsation feel and the leslie is more of a rotating feel.

4. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've always thought this (and no NOT literally) but to give my head an idea...

Leslie is a subtle tremolo with phasing.
    Vibe low pass chorus without much phasing.

The big difference is how a leslie phases and a vibe (to me) doesn't.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I always wondered...if the vibe hadn't come out til say...NOW...would anybody buy them without having heard what Hendrix, Trower, SRV could do with them? (and in that...Hendrix must have been one of the first?)

I mean, I am not sure I would love the vibe so much if I had never heard "Machine Gun"...etc. I wouldn't have had the imagination to hear one and say "oh...I can USE this effect!". I doubt many would...

6. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I like using it in Solos .. Only solos, Unless its one of those songs where it calls for 100% vibe all the time. Ushually then I'm turning it off for the Solo. Weird. But If I want a rhythem modulation or effect I'll ushually flip on a chorus or a Leslie style

7. cameron

cameron Member

The Univibe is a chorus kind of thing, that was intended to imitate a Leslie.

It doesn't sound anything like a Leslie, but it does sound pretty cool on its own.

A Leslie simulator is any post-Univibe attempt to sound like a Leslie. They generally sound more like a Leslie than a Univibe does, but still not quite like a Leslie. To sound like a Leslie, you really need a rotating speaker. Call the guys at Motion Sound.

To get pretty close without an actual moving speaker, you need a two amp rig, and a true stereo effect. I get a more Leslie-ish vibe from the Mojo Vibe into a Chopper slow-panning between two amps than most Leslie sims I've heard.