What is the Emma Reezafratzitz based on???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aksman, Apr 21, 2008.

1. aksman

aksman Member

I have been really enjoying the Reeza lately, and I remember reading somewhere that it's based on some older pedal with some tweaks and features added.

What's it based on and how's it tweaked?

2. Rocket Brother

Rocket Brother Member

The Rezza is a unique design, not based on any one classic pedal - I know this for a fact as I know the designer.
    RB

3. silot

silot Member

I always thought of it as the heavyweight cousin of the Tech21 XXL.
    What's more, their layouts are identical.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  4. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Whatever it's based on, it's the best gain pedal I've ever owned. I've been though so many, but the EMMA has stayed on my board longer than any other, and shows no sign of leaving anytime soon!

I've had or still have:

Mesa V Twin
    Boss DS1
    Guyatone tube driven SD1
    Boss Heavy Metal
    Keeley Blues Driver
    Toadworks Deathrattle
    Arion overdrive
    Fulltone OCD
    Original TS808
    Reissue TS9
    Soundtank TS5
    Vexter Box of Rock

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I'll throw in my opinion: I bought one based on all the hype around here. Put it up for sale after day one. It was soo much brighter and fizzier than had ever imagined. I had to roll the tone knob all the way off, and this is with my Orange Rockerverb 50 running G12-65's (not exactly a bright setup). There was only a small sweet spot, not very versatile at all, for me.

6. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

This was my experience too. Tried to like it but...nothing.

7. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I believe it uses a CMOS Hex Inverter chip like the Red Llama/EH Hot Tubes, but is not a clone of either.

8. shahry

shahry Member

I'm currently considering to get a Reeza. What do you guys think would be a better alternative to get that tight, high gain distortion?

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

You can get close to what it sounds like with a Tube Zone.

However, it's a bit more complicated with the TZ to dial it in just so, and even when I'd hit the best medium I could, the high strings were a little too bright to get the low string definition I wanted - but I think that's more a rig-dependent thing anyway.

If you want a touch smoother and less compressed sound (or perhaps 'more refined' would be more appropriate), the new Menatone KotB sounds very good.

If you want a more open, amplike sound with Marshall Super type 'hair' around the notes, the Fetto Deluxe is fantastic.

Both the KotB and Fetto will not give you the 4x12 style 'chug chug' that the Reeza will provide, but that said, they both sound a lot more natural than a Reeza.

-Ben

10. aksman

aksman Member

That's what I read somewhere!

ALSO, I agree about the slight fizz... it has more fizz than the Tube Zone, but I find it tighter overall for that "chugga" stuff.

11. meterman

meterman Member

BJF Dyna Red is a great one for Marshally tones, from lower gain to hotrodded....

12. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

cmatmods brownie with fr8_trane mods.

13. KBN

KBN Member

The Reeza really does shine through some amps and sounds like crap through others. It doesn't work for me at all with Fender amps. Sounds AMAZING through a Reeves 50 and a 4x12. Sounded really good through a Bogner Shiva as well. It is a bit of a bright pedal though so I keep the tone from 9:00 to 10:00. What amp(s) would you be using a Reeza with? Another pedal to look up would be a Gain Fxxker II. I have heard some pretty stellar clips of that.

14. psychedillo

psychedillo Member

Best pedal for me to pair with a Vintage Fender Blackface amp... keep the gain below 11 o'clock and use a treble/ mid booster (I use BSM pedals) or TS-style pedal in front of it for more distortion without fizz. I've got 4 Reezas and they are constantly on tour with various bands and musical theater productions.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  15. thekeefus

thekeefus Supporting Member

I looooooove the Reeza II. The only thing that could make me love it more would be if they could shrink it down to a normal size pedal. I don't use higher gain enough to devote the space.....but it is such a good pedal.