• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is the favorite acoustic that you've ever played?

redir

I build and repair guitars so I've played a lot over the years. Some have mentioned Banner Gibs. One of the best guitars I remember playing was a '43 LG2 that I restored. It just had that sound that's hard to describe. I've played a few really good classical guitars over the years.

This is a hard question to answer because I would want to categories it more. IOW what is the best sounding OM, Dred, parlor, and so on.

The best sounding dred I ever played is a guitar I own that was built by luthier Don Sharp. As a builder myself I know that even if you are at the pinnacle of your craft once in a while you make one that is just truly exceptional and I think that this is one of Don's exceptional ones.

BlueWolf

Platinum Supporting Member
Gurian 3HJ-B JuMHO Brazilian Rosewood. Admittedly I have a thing for Gurians, but I have one of these and it has the sweetest sound of any acoustic guitar I have ever played. If I had to chose an acoustic archtop, I’d go with a Collings AT-17. That’s just archtop quality at its finest.

Boogie92801

I have played a few Collings and Bourgeois that were amazing and I have a few Martins that impress me. I have also a fond memory of a few Guilds over the years but the best of all and one guitar that left a real impression with me is a Huss and Dalton Hog Dred that a played a few times over a few years that really just haunted me. I couldn't afford it at the time but I will probably always use that as a benchmark tone.

I will also say that I have played a few recent Martins including a Modern D-18 that was pretty incredible sounding.

Fret-O'File

Silver Supporting Member
The two best guitars I've ever played are a Goodall TROM and an Eastman AC-822
I wish I owned the Goodall and I'm lucky enough to own the Eastman.

gusfring

An Olson jumbo made from an ancient sugar maple downed in a storm in central Pennsylvania. Said to have been 372 years old. Back, sides and neck of the maple. Adirondack red spruce top and bracing, ebony board. Unbelievable depth and clarity. I could see and hear why Phil Keaggy, James Taylor, and others prefer Olson's to all else.

TaronKeim

Silver Supporting Member
waterloo ladder-braced wl-14 w/ no truss rod - unbelievably responsive + expressive, everywhere you played along the string length had a vastly different tonal shade - the v shaped neck felt so good for my preferences, especially for over the top thumb fretting - by far the best fingerstyle instrument i've played and lucky for me a friend owns it and i can borrow as needed

|tjk

Brad2

A cheap Epiphone in the store . When I went back to the store it was gone and I can understand the buyer liked it . There was another in the store as well but it was not that good . That one even had fret buzz

Pablow

I like the non-scalloped Martin D-28 sound. It's brighter and sweeter than the cannons. Think McCartney.

About two years ago I bought a Martin HD-28 Reimagined that sounded very like a D-28. After going over a decade shopping and not buying, I found the unicorn. Took me 2 minutes to tell the owner I was buying it. I think it was a fluke guitar. It's a very sweet sounding guitar with some bass if you need it. I do love it.

I think what's best is a very personal thing. I imagine James Taylor and Tony Rice have quite different ideas on what their favorite guitar would be.

Timcito

Probably a Gibson CJ-165R that I owned between 2007-9. This was a compact jumbo, no cutaway, in Sitka and rosewood with an ebony board. It had parallelogram inlays on the fretboard. Mine was sunburst. I ordered it brand new from GC and never put the pickguard on. Gibson was enlightened enough to give the buyer the choice; I'm amazed that more builders don't do the same.

Anyway, it was gorgeous visually and sounded amazing. Being a small-bodied guitar, it did not have an overpowering bass. Instead, it had this wonderful punch in the mids and a beautiful shimmer on the trebles. I insanely sold it, thinking a Martin 000-42 was going to be better - it wasn't!

What made matters worse was that this model went out of production soon after I sold mine. Gibson, unfortunately, jumped on the Taylor 'stage-ready' cutaway bandwagon, and for a while produced a cutaway version. Soon after that, Gibson no longer made guitars with ebony and what was once the CJ-165 became the Gibson Parlor with a Richlite board and a cutaway. I did try one a few years back, and it sounded nice. But nothing like the glory of that original CJ-165!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom