• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is the favorite acoustic that you've ever played?

zombywoof

Those price tags do tend to get in the way. They make sure that I will continue to admire that Fraulini Leadbelly 12 string or Kopp L-02 and K35 from a distance. Plus, I am a notorious cheapskate which does not help.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I've played some doozies over the years. Some highlights are:
2010 Linda Manzer acoustic archtop
1950s D'Angelico acoustic archtop
2009 Greenfield fanned fret cutaway (brand Andy McKee plays)

Seorie

been playin for over fifty years on and of so an impossible question. One of the guitars that made the biggest impression on me was when I was in my teens I went to see an older guitarist about forming a 'roots music' band.
We played a couple of tunes and he said he like my playing, went into an other room and brought back a guitar. It was an old(ish) Martin (then 1966) I 'had a go' on it and in a flash had one of those moments when you just 'get it'.
In the '60's in the UK and more so Scotland you just didn't get to play guitars of any great quality, they were European made mainly from plywood.
After I'd played on it he told me a guitarist had left it with him and gone to London to play - it had belonged to Bert Jansch.

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Different guitars work for different things. For intricate fingerpicked things that are at the edge of my technical ability and/or require more left hand reach (small hands, argh), I like my Taylor 714CE strung light. I can play stuff on it that I just can't play on other guitars because it's so easy on the hands. For flat picking or bolder fingerpicked stuff, my HD28 strung medium is a great workhorse. But the standout is my Lowden O25C in terms of sheer quality and nuance. Every note on every string at every fret is exactly the same volume if attacked consistently, with no dead spots whatsoever. It's the steel string equivalent of a high-end concert quality classical guitar. The more nuance and dynamics in your touch, the more it rewards (sadly I hardly merit this instrument but oh boy is it sweet to play when I'm well-warmed up and haven't been neglecting my playing time).

But the standout is my Lowden O25C in terms of sheer quality and nuance. Every note on every string at every fret is exactly the same volume if attacked consistently, with no dead spots whatsoever. It's the steel string equivalent of a high-end concert quality classical guitar. The more nuance and dynamics in your touch, the more it rewards (sadly I hardly merit this instrument but oh boy is it sweet to play when I'm well-warmed up and haven't been neglecting my playing time).
Completely agree. I've never played another guitar with balance that comes even close.

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a Taylor player by circumstance, but the one that got away from me was a particular 12 fret Collings that sounded like a cannon....it still haunts me, but I guess a family man can't drop 4000cdn just cause he hears angels singing through wood! (...cry to myself....)

Jay K

Well that is an easy question. My Ryan Nightingale Grand Soloist. Adirondack Spruce over Cocobolo with Ryan bevel and acoustic flutes. Don't have a picture; otherwise I would post one.

bgmacaw

My Kramer Ferrington is fun and easy to play since it's essentially an 80's shred guitar converted into an acoustic. It sounds pretty bad though, either plugged in or unplugged.

I have a 70's Hohner Contessa classical guitar that has a very nice sound and is comfortable to play. It was a garage sale special I restored a few years ago.

Of ones that got away, I wish I had bought a Martin D15M I ran across at a GC about 1998 or so.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Fylde guitars are the instruments that work best for me - I own two, an old one and a custom build with timber salvaged from old oak and pine whiskey casks and a lovely V neck profile copied from my '39 Gibson L-00. They're both exceptional guitars, but then everything I've played by Fylde has been. This is the Single Malt alongside one of my own builds based on a Gibson L-1:

The other guitars I have a bit soft spot for are late 20s and 30s era Gibsons, particularly small bodied ones. The Nick Lucas and L-2 are the ones that most appeal to me and i've played a couple that had the choirs of angels thing going on, but for my budget the three I own - the '39 L-00, a '26 L-1 and a '29 TG-1 - are great guitars with a very distinctive sound. The L-1 was a great recording guitar throughout the first band I was in, and although the Fyldes have nudged it out of regular use I'm very attached to it. Here are the two 20s ones:

There may be better guitars out there but I feel like I'm at a point now where these are perfect for what I use them for, and I can't imagine buying anything else as long as I have them.

lamenlovinit

Depends on how you measure it.

Loudest = College Roommates Washburn in '81. Hands down. That thing was ridiculous and sounded very good tone wise too. Who would guess?

Tone = A prewar martin 12 fret dread I played in Healdsburg. Simply amazing.

royd

interesting how many references there have been to Lowdens... for those of you who have not played one, seek one out and try it. It is not the sound for everyone and is very different from the traditional Martin sound... but nobody else builds a guitar like it.

Seorie

Ah - ok,
have had her for almost 30 years, shes been the making of me as a musician.
Cost me £740 back then - nearly a months wage IIRC :eek:

Last edited:

tamader74

Well, I had to let my #2 (a) go Friday for some issues that are more important than guitars,...a awesome '07 Gibson Dove (highly Flamed Maple,...and the guys at the shop were dripping their spit over it),...But for me, and I have played a Lowden, and owned several Vintage and Higher-end acoustics,...

...my very favorite, and is to be cremated with me on the way out is my Martin HD-28LSV,...there is just 'something' about it's Large Sound-hole that has this guitar toned between Rosewood and Mahogany, not overly Warm, and is not bright at all,...just a subtle nice sound/tone that can/will change just as easy as where around the Sound-hole you play.

I also have a '91 Gibson Advanced Jumbo (#2 b so to speak...LOL) that covers a lot of 'Vintage Memphis style' Blue sounds/tones, Country & Gospel...I find these older made AJ's don't sound 'Modern' at all, which is Cool Beans by me, as the 21st Century made AJ's I've played do sound a bit 'different' in that way),...can Kinda' hear some ol' 'Woody Guthrie' coming thru it when you play it. Tom

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
I've played many acoustics from the high end to the low end. The one that sticks out the most was a Santa Cruz 00. I should have bought it but didn't...still to this day I think about it

T Dizz

Guild D-125. Not the most expensive but it sounds fan-effing-tastic. All mahogany goodness.

Probos

I have two Huss & Dalton's that are the best guitars period I've ever played. A Custom DS and a TD-M.

I also own a 60's RI J-45 that I play all the time -- great guitar.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom