• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is the favorite acoustic that you've ever played?

Crazyquilt

The Fool
Gold Supporting Member
Collings CJMhA. Sadly, my aging wrists don't appreciate twisting around a big-bodied guitar, so I had to sell it.

lamenlovinit

Collings CJMhA. Sadly, my aging wrists don't appreciate twisting around a big-bodied guitar, so I had to sell it.
Yeah... For me it's the fretting arm shoulder. I'm really struggling about selling my 12 fret dread. I love it so much, but my body position with that monster really jacks my shoulder. My solution so far is to only play it once a week. Besides the sound, that's probably why 80 percent of my playing is on my nationals. They are basically shallow OOs.

firebird

Lowden S25C (cutaway) ------- cedar top, rosewood back / sides

The first time I opened the case I literally GASPED. No fancy ornamentation, just the sheer beauty of the hand-rubbed woods. Nothing wrong with exquisite dressing-up --- I just personally prefer simplicity. The sound is like no other guitar. Wish I could put it into words, but it's just beyond that for me. I LOVE the sound. It's the absolute finest acoustic guitar I've ever played.

winterblu

Silver Supporting Member
My Taylor 814CE with the redesigned bracing system. In a comparison with a bunch of others this one really stood out, necessitated my selling off some other gear
and saving up a bit to acquire one but it was worth it.

G Man

Toss up between a 1937 00-28 that I played at Mandolin Brothers several years ago, or a Bourgeois OMS.

veinbuster

Laskin mid sized. I've played several Laskins and they all sounded great.
I'm growing increasingly fond of PRS acoustics.
More mainstream, I'm a fan of Taylor 12 frets.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
It kind of depends on what I'm in the mood for. The guitar that blew me away the most when I first played it was a 1927 Martin 00-21. I just couldn't believe all that sound was coming out of such a little box so I bought it and kept it for awhile but at the end of the day I like larger body guitars so I let it go and got all my $$ back out of it. The one that I kept through all the GAS and following recession is a Martin Ditson 111 which is IMO a monster guitar.

Jp2558

My M-36.

It is the most comfortable acoustic I've ever played. And it has the Martin tone I hear in my head.

0018g

In 1983, I ordered a new D-28 for my dad's 40th birthday the following year. Keep in mind, 1983 was not a banner year in Martin history. We ended up sharing the guitar for the rest of his life, and I still use it as my #1. I have other D-28's with better pedigrees(Brazilian, vintage, etc.), but I still come back to that one. I dunno if it's just tolerance stacked to my liking, or it's familiarity, but I wouldn't trade that guitar for a pre-war D-45. It's like putting on the best sounding old pair of Levi's you've ever heard.....errr, something like that.

Boogie92801

Im pretty into an Orpheum 12 fret slot head at the moment. It takes very little energy to get the top moving. Adirondack top, rosewood OM size with hide glue construction and all bone parts. I took a chance and let a really fancy Martin go for it but Im really liking her.

I have played many high end Martin, Goodall, Collings and Froggy Bottoms but Huss and Dalton Dred I once played at Buffalo Brothers will always be in my mind.

guitargod0dmw

The Martin HD-28V was the first acoustic I can remember picking up and going WOW! It played wonderfully and sounded amazing
Every HD-28 (not the V) that I've played has been the same, and the D-28 and D-35 are right there.

I own a D-35 myself. It was made in the birth year of my son so it's going to stick around for quite a while and get passed down eventually.

quilsaw

Another vote for the Collings CJMhA with a few honorable mentions: Goodall Jumbo Baritone and Santa Cruz RS. The Collings was, hands down, the most capable...able to handle anything dynamically. The Santa Cruz the most responsive and piano-like in tone. The Goodall was, wow, just a whole 'nother trip altogether...power, authority, massive and, yet, still very sweet.

Pa'ani

Silver Supporting Member
Currently my favorite acoustic guitars have been my Kevin Ryan Mission Grand Koa/Cedar Top,
Goodman OOO Brazilian Rosewood/Andirodak Top, Goodall CJ-22 Goose Spruce Top,
Breedlove CJ Striped Ebony/ Sitka Top, Taylor 714 Indian Rosewood/Cedar Top.
Each and everyone of them have a special quality about them.

Jeff Scott

A few different Yamamotos come to mind that I played a few months ago. I have a MS-12 which is a fabulous guitar IMO.

My Taylor 812 CE First Edition. I actually had a Martin HD-28V and sold it. For my tastes, the Taylor is the bomb. While it has no where near the bottom end of the Martin, it is well balanced and the smaller size just fits me better. I know several are talking about higher end guitars, but I have not played many of them and the ones I've played sounded no better nor were easier to play.

JMHO,

TW

Trending Topics

Top Bottom