What is the holy grail (pun intended) of reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by High Pedality, May 26, 2015.

1. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

Is there a reverb pedal that has the status of the classics listed below?

Overdrive - Tube Screamer
    Distortion - Rat
    Boost - Klon
    Delay - Deluxe Memory Man
    Chorus - CE-1
    Compressor - Ross
    Reverb - ?

2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

It should be RV2/3

3. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

probably the strymon bigsky or neunaber wet.
    outside of tgp, the rv-3/5 and ehx holy grail.

4. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip

Vintage Fender 6G15 Reverb (outboard reverb tank unit)

5. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Yep.

Mosley likes this.
  6. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Neunaber. The Boss pedals are ubiquitous, but the added hiss kept them off my board.

dpgreek likes this.
  7. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Behind a Killer Les Paul Somewhere in Japan
    Depends what you are looking for and what you are running it through. For Classic Fender Spring then of course the 6G15 can't be beat, wiht the vanamps soulmate being similar at a lower price point. I think the tc electronic hof is da bomb and the digitech supernatural takes reverb to a whole new dimension.

drmatty likes this.
  8. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

The Spring Chicken (Although not super versatile) was fairly sought after a few years back.

Sparkfriction likes this.
  9. minty901

minty901 Member

Digital pedals aren't old enough for them to have classic status I guess? But as for the best, the Strymon Big Sky is hard to argue against.

Enusire likes this.
  10. bratch

bratch Member

The reverb effects for guitar that define this category come from springs, specifically springs from an old fender amp or the classic tube-driven outboard tank.

Digital reverb pedals for guitar is kind of a new thing, so there are no "classics", although you could make an argument for the first Boss pedals and the early EHX Holy Grail, as the OP has alluded.

I should just stay out of reverb threads because I think about guitar reverb like this:

Most of the best old digital reverb for guitar (or any source) comes from the revered studio rack units made by lexicon, EMT, eventide, and a few others. These things were, and mostly still are, very expensive. Reverb pedals just sound like cheap imitations of these units to me (or imitations of springs tanks).

But then there's those great shoe gazer bands from the late 80s-90s that did some great stuff with budget rack verbs like the Quadraverb or the low-end Lexis, but it never made any of those units classic. You can still grab them cheap.

Most of the time, don't excommunicate me now, digital reverb just sounds so much more real and expansive post microphone -- at mixdown, if you're recording.

Slevin likes this.
  11. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I'm 90% in agreement with you here, using a Lexicon PCM80 and Eventide Eclipse for reverb. However, I am very impressed with things like the Space and Strymon offerings. They wouldn't replace the racks for me personally, mainly due to parameter access and simply knowing what the big boys do, but I remain impressed. As an example, Eventide Hall is very much on par with DenseRoom16>Dual8bandEQ on the Eclipse, but there are far more things you can adjust on the big rack (like speed/depth of modulation, amongst others). Unfortunately, none of the Digitech/Hardwire pedals that I've played come anywhere close to Concert Hall on a PCM80, but that makes total sense to me.

100% in agreement here! You can get an MPX-1 or G2 for super cheap, which are still part of the old Lexicon heritage. Beautiful, lush verbs can be created with these, along with several of the old Alesis devices. These are more on par with some of the mid-priced pedals (like the Digitech stuff), but open up the canvas to create verbs that are more suited to one's personal taste. (that said, Digitech still rules)

12. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

lexicon pcm series. that is the premier plate reverb unit right there imo. even though its a rack unit, everyone who has used one loves it.

13. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Yup! I look at it like this:

Rich Plate - PCM70 w/2.0 firmware
    Concert/Random Hall - PCM80/90

Then there are others that prefer the Eventide algorithms. They are distinctly different. I figure I've brown-bagged it for enough days to allow myself to have both.

14. alphaking

alphaking Member

Chippertheripper and Mosley like this.
  15. armbone

armbone Member

This is a tough category as reverb has been around forever and there's nothing quite like amp reverb on a fender... But as far as pedals go...

The boss rv-3 is the best reverb of all time IMO. I've had/have almost all of them. The new Meteore from Caroline is pretty sick though, as is the mr black supermoon chrome.

16. dcbc

dcbc Member

If you want to spend some money, the rack mount RealTube Stereo Reverb is nothing short of incredible. It's a 12 spring tube driven reverb in a 1u package. It's spring reverb without being too springy. It gets lush, but not surf.

James and DaveKS like this.
  17. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

as far as pedals go, nothing comes close to the T Rex Room Mate. it never took off on TGP due to the price; but man... the sound. it's tube driven.... lush & warm.

ummohyeah likes this.
  18. Ivo

Ivo Member

Still on the search for the perfect verb in a pedal, but my needs are different from others.

My favorites:
    Quadraverb
    Wedge
    Kurzweil Rumour
    PCM 80
    Roland GP-100
    Soundblox 2 Dimension
    Vibe-O-Verb
    Wet
    Flint

Least liked:
    EHX Cathedral & Holy Grails
    Nova Reverb

19. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

I agree the two heavy hitters and TGP favorites are Strymon reverbs and Neunaber WET. The best I've heard and there is no close second. I owned an EHX Holy Grail when it came out and I ended up hating that pedal so it was anything but a grail for me :rolleyes:

20. feet

feet Supporting Member

i think that we don't treat reverb as we treat other effects. most versions are digital and that's always evolving and we move on to the next thing, so there aren't really classic sounds or pedals as with overdrives, for instance. people generally want spring or plate sounds, not, say the "holy grail sound".

that said, the mini reverberator is the one i use the most, by far, and i do love the simplicity and its general set and forgetness. it just works wherever its set. i get tired of dicking around with the flint and the reverberator usually sounds better.

interesting. how does the tube (or a tube swap) affect the pedal? too bad about the silly lfo, but the rest don't seem so bad. would have preferred a plate in there, though.