What is the KING of the OCD versions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dog Boy, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I have my own opinion but I'm looking for concencus.....and yes...validation:eek:

2. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

I've heard a lot of people like V.3 the most. That's what I have, and I love it so much that I haven't even bothered with any other overdrive pedals.

3. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I have only owned the v3 and v4...and I like the v3 in LP mode the best (currently running at 16vdc).

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

V2 has been stated to be the best.. but that 4th one has been the most different of the 4 and has alot of love. I tried the 2nd and 3rd V and I liked the 2nd best.

5. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

Hmmm, that's funny... i had a V2 and did NOT like it at all. I felt it was toooo grainy, but that goes to show you, different strokes for different folks :dude

6. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

V1 hands down. Time will tell but I never felt the need to try or buy the 2,3,4 versions. I wanna get the 4 but not to replace the 1. Fuller got it right the first time but it is the OCD so if it gets any more compulsive he should release a box with four switches to house all four versions.

7. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

+1!

8. guitarnyc

guitarnyc Member

I have tried V2 and V3 and needless to say, I own two V2's now and is used for all gigs where I fly out and don't know which amp I'll have. My general view of them was V3 was a little fuller and so it worked with a strat better and V2 was a little thinner so it complimented the Les Paul better...I'm a Les Paul type guitar player so that's where my favorite is :)

9. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

? So you never actually tried 2, 3 or 4....

10. VA_siCkBoy

VA_siCkBoy Member

I own version 1 and don't see the need to own any other version. I'm happy.

11. neil99

neil99 Silver Supporting Member

I have had V1, V3 and V4.

V1 has outlasted way too many others.

12. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Ive tried versions 2 and 4, not 3.

13. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

I have had v1, v3, and v4. I thought v4 was the worst. v1 and v3 were different enough to warrant keeping them both. I currently have v3 and really like it a lot.

14. larc

larc Member

I have two V1s and one V3.

Comparing a number of V1s in the past, it seems there were different variations of this version. The two I have are noticeably different. One of them has a "creamy" quality to it (similar to my old 808). It has the scooped mid voicing, but there's a smoother, thicker quality to its sound and the harmonics are richer. Other V1s have more aggression, volume and gain; they sound more abbrasive and airy.

I haven't compared many V2, V3, V4, OCDs, but I wouldn't be surprised if different variations exist for these pedals too. I'm told Fuller is a tweaker...always experimenting; trying to improve / change things.

Two or three months ago, I listened to a friend give the latest version a go (I believe it was a V4). It's my first time hearing this version. Seems like the OCD is moving in the direction of a tubescreamer (more of a mid-hump voicing). Don't recall for sure, but I'm wanting to say this OCD might have been more compressed too.

15. Junior Stephens

Junior Stephens Member

16. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I went from 1 to 2 to 3, felt each was an improvement, have not tried 4. Tele w/ Kinmans thru a Glaswerks.

gb

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  17. WarofGhosts

WarofGhosts Member

18. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

never feeling the need to try something does not mean that you can actually try it (FYI).

Ive always been very happy with version 1 that I own, a friend of mine has both versions 2 and 4 so I tried them out while at his house once, but did not go out my way to hunt them down to try them. They were good, liked version 4 better because it differs from the V1 the most, I will probably get it but not to replace my V1.

19. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

V4 is my fav. i really dug V3 but had a little too much bass. V4 alleviated that issue with a better tone pot...

20. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member