What is the lowest dB earplug made for musicians?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman3001, Feb 7, 2015.

1. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Any suggestions? I have invested a ton of money into earplugs. I have some $150 custom molded ones with a 15dB filter, some Hearos and Etymotic ones, Earasers, and a few more.

What I find is that they are all good for different things but at some gigs, they all attenuate too much and I'd like to have something with less attenuation, like 5dB or something like that.

I know they make 9dB filters for my custom plugs but looking at the frequency spectrum on those, it looks like the high frequency attenuation is almost the same as the 15dB filters I have so it's not a flat spectrum and wouldn't be much different in the highs than the 15dB filters.

Do they make any earplugs with say, 5dB of attenuation and a flat frequency curve?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. Cb

Cb Member

I've been down the same path, and haven't found an earplug with adequate fidelity. The best compromise I've found is to use the cheap flesh-colored, bullet-shaped foam 32dB earplugs from Walgreens (10 pairs for $10?), and just sit them outside my ear canal. They serve as sort of a gobo...it's about like the difference between standing in front of an amp or PA speaker or standing off at the side. If the band ratchets up the volume I can tap them in just a bit until the loud song is over.

3. Kelly

Kelly Member

Take those cheap earplugs and cut them in half. Knocks off a few db.

4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

10dB Hearos Hi-fi is the ****, best I've tried.

5. Jacob Van Noy

Jacob Van Noy Member

Earasers have been the best for me. They feel very flat in their attenuation and I can't recall the dB that they knock off but it is on the low side. Check them out.

6. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

^^^

7. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

i got mine custom moulded for £60 ive had them for over 5 years amazing stuff. everything is the same just turned down. sometimes it makes me wanna turn my amp up lol

8. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Wow Boutique earplugs actually exist. Did not know that.

9. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

yeh man its a standard thing to do in the industry. there not really boutique per say there just moulded to your ear canal so you have a comfortable fit they pump jelly into your ear and let it set and then you have different db filters that you can pop in and out of the moulds. i have 10 15 and 25.

companies that are in business to make hearing aids usually do these things. i managed to get a discount while i was a student at a guitar academy.

10. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I have a pair. They are ok. Not sure if I like them more than my custom ones though. Some days I like the custom ones more, other days I prefer the earasers.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Have you tried the DUBs? I think they are 12db but they are so clear I sometimes check to make sure they're in. I used Etymotic previously but they did muffle a bit, especially highs/Vox. Super comfortable too.

12. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I have the -9db filters for my set of custom earplugs - actually I have all three, the -9, -15 and -20. I have settled on using the -15 on the ear that has to be closest to the drum kit and the -9 for the away-from-the-drums ear. The custom molded plugs will attenuate the vol. evenly because they go down into the ear canal. they truly sound like someone just turned the volume down, across all frequencies instead the foam plugs that give you that "underwater" type sound, really messing with the entire frequency spectrum. If you can hear everything, like the custom ones let you, you can get used to them faster and are more prone to actually always use them - live to mix another day. Even with the -9 filter in place I have never had a next day after a gig with any ear discomfort or ringing. The best $200.00 bucks or so you can spend on gear.

13. Luke V

Luke V Member

For me, napkins work the best. I can control the attenuation, still hear the tone and feel like I'm playing with the band. Every earplug I've used make me feel like I'm playing under water.

14. msoleno

msoleno Supporting Member

Every earplug I've tried, including the custom molded ones, cut the high end. That's the biggest problem I've found. It makes you want to either turn up or adjust the EQ. Sometimes I'll play a bit with one earplug in and one out just to make sure my tone isn't messed up. Even without the filter in the custom earplug it cuts highs. That is probably a good thing though, when you lose your hearing you lose the ability to hear highs more and more.

15. guitar21

guitar21 Member

Agreed.