• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

What is the maximum recommended DB difference between speakers in same cab?

Doppe1ganger

Long story short, I am considering pairing a Jensen Mod 12-70 at 96 db with a Jensen Nighthawk at 98.9 db. Is this too large of a difference in sensitivity? They would be in a closed back 2x12 cabinet.

HotBluePlates

Twice the power? Where did you get this information?
Said a different way, if 1 watt were applied to both speakers, the Nighthawk will be about 3dB louder which is the same-difference as if both speakers were the same sensitivity but the Nighthawk had double-power applied.

Apply 10 watts to the Jensen Mod 12-70:

10 log (10 watts / 1 watt) + 96 dB = 10dB + 96dB = 106dB SPL​

Apply 20 watts to the Jensen Mod 12-70:

10 log (20 watts / 1 watt) + 96 dB = 13dB + 96dB = 109dB SPL​

Apply 10 watts to the Jensen Nighthawk:

10 log (10 watts / 1 watt) + 98.9 dB = 10dB + 98.9dB = 108.9dB SPL​

Kabukiman

I'd just aim for as close a match as possible. I have read about people pairing high and low sensitivity speakers in vertical cabs or 4x12s, with the louder speakers on the bottom.

I'm interested in trying some of those Jensen models myself

**Edit: I just realised, I have a 98.7 and 101.5 together in a 2x12 cabinet right now. I don't notice that one overpowers the other, although I am sure it would be more apparent if I increased that difference at all.

Last edited:

2L man

Loudspeaker sensitivity is measured using only 1W of power and obviously it is wide spectrum noise and then volume is measured analyzing frequencies from it and this result the frequency response graphic?

When different speakers are driven using more power the volume difference sometimes seems to change? Obviously because of "compression" and other parameters which are known as Thiele/Small?

Have You found tests where guitar loudsleakers are driven using higher power and volume db are measured? If not this would be interesting if someone could test it using few different manufacturer most common speakers?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
You will not know until you try.
Differences in freq response may result in more or less gap in the level at any selected peak or valley, but even so, that may yield a favourable result sound-wise...or not.

If you are buying a new speaker than I would try to find one with a closer sensitivity. However, Ive had some mixed results like where a heavy magnet speaker overwhelms a small magnet, but the small adds subtle mids/highs and clarity.

I wouldn't be afraid to mix those 2, especially. You might hear the highs from the Nighthawk over the MOD, but the mids from the MOD over the Nighthawk. They're similarly voiced, but nowhere near identical. Check the "Comparing Frequency Response Charts" page on Jensen's website, you'll see they are similar on the graph but different enough that you'll add a nice complexity to the midrange. I'd go for it, although I'd think in the long run, any other speaker from the JET series would be be more ideal, as they're all generally more efficient. However, the MOD 12-70 is no slouch. I'd do it for sure.

Badside

Long story short, I am considering pairing a Jensen Mod 12-70 at 96 db with a Jensen Nighthawk at 98.9 db. Is this too large of a difference in sensitivity? They would be in a closed back 2x12 cabinet.
It's not uncommon for people to mix Greenbacks and V30s in a cab, despite a similar sensitivity difference and even bigger power handling delta.

Yes, one speaker is likely to overpower the other one, that's okay. As long as you like the result.

(EDIT: I don't know where I got the 1KHz thing from, looks like I might be wrong on this as I can't find a source)

Last edited:

glpg80

I think we are also missing the key fact that sensitivity is measured with 1W RMS at 1 Meter as frequency is swept to obtain the transceiver response.

If you’re standing off to the side or distance yourself more than 1 meter from the cabinet, you’ll perceive a different response than measured due to including more room effects of the environment.

I do agree though, I wouldn’t mix more than 2dB difference in one cabinet and Id certainly load the more efficient speaker(s) as close to the floor away from your ears as possible.

pdf64

One thing to note about sensitivity: it's measured at 1KHz
Dunno about that, I can’t envisage a single freq being representative, and how about speakers which aren’t intended to reproduce that anyway, eg woofers, super tweeters.
As I recall, it’s more like an average sensitivity over the useful freq range of the speaker, but it’s a manufacturer specific derivation, there’s no industry standard on how it must be arrived at.

Badside

Dunno about that, I can’t envisage a single freq being representative, and how about speakers which aren’t intended to reproduce that anyway, eg woofers, super tweeters.
As I recall, it’s more like an average sensitivity over the useful freq range of the speaker, but it’s a manufacturer specific derivation, there’s no industry standard on how it must be arrived at.
Yeah, I could swear at least one OEM used to label the sensitivity as being measured at 1KHz, but I can,t find any source so probably just me being in the wrong here.

2L man

I think sensitivity and frequency responce graph are measured driving loudspeaker wide/audio spectrum noise. Then microphone signal is "sweeped" thru needed range using filtering.

On my work I have test sound system channels/loudspeakers and one test takes 20 seconds. Result has three samples on each octave thru full audio range. Noise volume level is loud but not so loud that ear plugs are needed but I often use and listen books when doing routine work.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom