What is the most inspiring High Gain amp you ever played?

SBlue

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa 2c+ Simul-Class, Larry Dino, any Cameron modded or built high gain amp.
These are all in my first place. It would be a very hard task having to choose between one of these for me.

Tone chader

My most inspiring amps have not been high gain. But the only real high gain amp that I loved was the Fender"Prosonic." Made from 94- early 2000s.

Axe-Man

Your amp was one of my favourites in the Helix. I imagine it would be great in real life.

My favorite high gain amp is a 70s Traynor that I've slowly modded over the years. It's really more of a 2204 level of gain that I'll boost if I ever really want to get into the super saturation territory. I'm inspired every time I play the amp. However, it didn't start out that way... I had to push it and mold it into that shape. I feel that negates the spirit of the question.

The first time I played and owned a true high gain amp that made me go "woah"... it was a Mesa DC-5 head. Oddly, I used it a more moody rock band and never got too saturated. When I'd jam with friends to do more metal and hardcore stuff, it was always a blast.

I've gotten to play a lot of high gain amps at my day job, and the ones that really have stuck with me are the Rev Generator 120, and the Fryette stuff (Pitbull, Sig X, and especially Deliverance). The Fryette amps seem to be high gain with out it feeling like the amp is playing itself. Player personality can still come through and the amp still sounds super mean and aggressive.

Marcus C

I'm going to have to agree with dangtr, I lusted after a Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp for ages and finally got it, by far my favorite high gain preamp I've ever played through. I bought a Strategy 400 for a power amp because I didn't want to mess around (ha ha) but wish I'd gotten the 2;90 Power amp and the tri-axis. Unfortunately it got stolen and since I wasn't flush with cash I replaced it with a Mesa Studio Preamp, so I also agree with robotechnology they are also very nice preamps.

nondeplume

Puppet For Prophet
Gold Supporting Member
KSR/Rhodes Gemini
Elmwood Modena M60
Bogner XTC 101b.

Probably in that order of highest gain to lowest.

CJReaper

Soldano Avenger, We had a used one at a shop where I used to work, that thing roared! I prefer single channel, less-is-more amps so it was right up my alley. Had a great midrange growl that was familiar but still had it's own thing going on, if I had the cash I'd own one for sure.

Maguchi

see title, for me it was probably my Engl Thunder reverb.
My 1st really good high-gain amp was a Peavey Triumph 120 1x12" combo. The best one and the one that really inspired me most was a Marshall JCM 2000 50 watt head through a 4x12" cab. Sadly, I don't have either of those 2 amps anymore :confused:. Nowadays it's a Matchless Phoenix 35 watt 2x12" combo with EL34s.

Matchless - off.jpg

Last edited:

El Rey

Silver Supporting Member
My 1st really good high-gain amp was a Peavey Triumph 120 1x12" combo. The best one and the one that really inspired me most was a Marshall JCM 2000 50 watt head through a 4x12" cab. Sadly, I don't have either of those 2 amps anymore :confused:. Nowadays it's a Matchless Phoenix 35 watt 2x12" combo with EL34s.

View attachment 278269
Love me some Matchless.

Always wanted to try the Phoenix.

Wonder which of the three channels of my Indy it sounds similar to.

guitarzan33

I like the original VH tone & gain (with much more gain & w/out the noise). The Brown eye is somewhat close to this but it doesn't sound natural to my ears (and the clean tones are not to die for). There is NO amp (on Earth) that gives the natural warm sounding ultra high gain I'm looking for. The rest sound transistory (not natural sounding at high gain - or not enough gain). Guess I'm stuck with an BE-OD in front of my amp. It's far from perfect but it will do..

bigfoamfinger

Supporting Member
In one word YES.

In more than one word ALL OF THEM. Cannot limit to just one.

There is simply not just one........and before others perhaps start kvetching about the the Matchless.....ch 3 is high gain...definitely not plexi or any other...definitely its own sound.
I love my Indy, but can't lie I have thought about selling it for a Plexi a few times. What sound would you personally compare it to?

Neptical

Funny ( I'm a backwards kinda guy) but after playing tubes for years and then finding the SS 3310 Marshall Mosfets, it was surely an ear opening experience. After being so use to tubes, I found a new love for those old SS amps. Those amps just have a warmth tubes just can't replicate at all. I'm already 6 deep and still thriving.

andyk

Supporting Member
I like the original VH tone & gain (with much more gain & w/out the noise). The Brown eye is somewhat close to this but it doesn't sound natural to my ears (and the clean tones are not to die for). There is NO amp (on Earth) that gives the natural warm sounding ultra high gain I'm looking for. The rest sound transistory (not natural sounding at high gain - or not enough gain). Guess I'm stuck with an BE-OD in front of my amp. It's far from perfect but it will do..
The story of my guitar life! I've always been looking for the tone on Beautiful Girls. The punch and articulate gain is awesome. After trying many amps, I think Bray gets pretty close - without buying an old Plexi, Variac, Boss 10-band EQ, etc.

Trending Topics