• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is the most inspiring High Gain amp you ever played?

Steviecaster

Tbh I found most high gain amps I've owned to be quite inspiring.

Fryette stuff is amazing and was "home" for me for a better part of a decade. I had a Pittbull 50cl and a Sig x

Mesa Marks are legendary for a reason, loved me III and V

The ENGL Steve Morse was amazing and the mid matrix controls pushed it a step above many... I don't know why more amps don't have separate hi/lo mid controls. Scoop one for brutality and boost the other to maintain dominance in the mix.

I'm really enjoying the hell out of my current Rivera Duo 12 as well. Maybe not as high gain as some of these others, but wouldn'y have an issue playing any type of metal especially with a boost

Never owned a diezel, but have played through both a Diezel Einstein and Herbert and those produced some of my favorite high gain tones I've played

I never really gelled with my 5150s, probably user error on my part. Randall diavlo 45 I utterly hated
I don't consider the Diavlo a 'Metal high gain amp'. Do you?

Steviecaster

I like the original VH tone & gain (with much more gain & w/out the noise). The Brown eye is somewhat close to this but it doesn't sound natural to my ears (and the clean tones are not to die for). There is NO amp (on Earth) that gives the natural warm sounding ultra high gain I'm looking for. The rest sound transistory (not natural sounding at high gain - or not enough gain). Guess I'm stuck with an BE-OD in front of my amp. It's far from perfect but it will do..

You need an SLP 4 hole Marshall. Not high gain, but you can make it sound like it has more than it does.

Tri7/5

How about an inspiring amp that was known for high gain but turned out to be just a ridiculously great amp for cleans and overall great tone. Mark IIC+ all original 60 watt combo. You could nail Eric Johnson crystalline strat tones, jazz, fusion you name it.

One of the best lead tones I ever had was from a cranked Marshall Jubilee 25/50 25th anniversary. The thing just sang for days in a completely musical way and I'm not even a big Marshall fan.

There are several others over the years but the two above just caught me by surprise.

GtarLover

Silver Supporting Member
There are MANY inspiring amps out there.
Truly amazing amps...However, if I stick to the original question “most inspiring” high gain amp, with “NO” added boosts:

Diezel Herbert and Hagen
EVH Stealth 6L6
Friedman JJ and BE100

Yes, I still own these.

My personal preference for tone, is not “total” high gain. So I also own Bogner XTC 20th, Suhr PT100, Bray.
I find ALL of these amps incredibly inspiring, and if a boost option is added, OMG, these amps are UNBELIEVABLY killer.

Of course, that’s just my opinion YMMV

Surfreak

The original Peavey 5150 combo without question.

A masterpiece of industrial, utilitarian design, with basically one usable tone, but a monster at that.

G34RSLU7

There are MANY inspiring amps out there.
Truly amazing amps...However, if I stick to the original question “most inspiring” high gain amp, with “NO” added boosts:

Diezel Herbert and Hagen
EVH Stealth 6L6
Friedman JJ and BE100

Yes, I still own these.

My personal preference for tone, is not “total” high gain. So I also own Bogner XTC 20th, Suhr PT100, Bray.
I find ALL of these amps incredibly inspiring, and if a boost option is added, OMG, these amps are UNBELIEVABLY killer.

Of course, that’s just my opinion YMMV
i ordered a friedman BE-BB synergy module, really hyped to finally play a friedman (even tho the power section will be slightly different)

AVWIII

In my early 20s, I was lucky and dumb enough to find a steal on a 90s rev. G, 2 channel Mesa Triple Rectifier.
Lucky in that it was cheap, dumb in that it was realistically 100 more watts than I needed at the time.

Best high gain sound I've played. What a killer amp.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
Possibly a 2003 - 2004 Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 (non Reverb) with Matchless Caps, TDS Iron & the wrong Choke fitted by Bad Cat, at the time of manufacture.

Just a one in a million Amp.........IMHO anyway.

:beer

Trending Topics

Top Bottom