• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What is the most likely cause of low level (but still too much) hiss/static?

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
I''ve got a great sounding amp used but there's a low level (but still too much) hiss/static when it's on. The hiss gets louder when I turn up the reverb but is there even if the reverb is not engaged. What is the most likely cause and best first step in troubleshooting?

The amp is a Blankenship Fat Boy with Sour Cream head + 1x15 cab. Tubes are 2x6l6 for power tubes, 2x 12AX7 2x 12AT7 5AR4 rectifier tube.

Hiss is present w any guitar or no guitar.

This is the exact amp but played by someone more talented than I.

For those want lots of info, here's a demo of the amp as well as a gig with my exact amp (but not me playing).

Blue Strat

Preamp tubes, especially the ones associated with the reverb, are the ones to look at. Swap them out with known good tubes as a first step.

axpro

I had the same issue with a DrZ Maz8, I like the amp, but there is some hiss... If i pull the reverb driver tube it goes away, but that messes up the sound of the amp sadly. Unless it is amazingly well constructed, I find all reverb amps have a little bit of hiss associated with them... thus i tend to buy/build non reverb amps lately. with the Maz, I tried swapping out tubes and such and it got better, but never perfect. Part of that one may have been that it's a single ended amp, they tend to have a little natural hiss as well.

So try some good quality tubes, if you are able, try moving the reverb tank or just the associated wires.

Let us know your results!

Trending Topics