• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

what is the most versitile amp?

N_O_VATER220

I play for a church, and we cover various styles of music. My gear as of now is a DR.Z Stingray #8 of the 50 with that spelling and a prs modern eagle. of my pedals the only thing im attached to at the moment is my TIM and my Timefactor.

Right now for some reason, i duno if its the up and coming new shiva or what but im wanting to sell my guitar get a mira and a kicking tele, take the left over money sell my amp and get something more versitile.

Im concidering these at the moment

Bogner Shiva
Diszel einestine
Mesa Mark 5

the only one of which i have played through is the shiva, the new version is suppose to have more gain, whic would be awesom cuz i really like that amp.

any other suggestions

mikef1331

If you need something that is super versatile I would suggest checking out the Fractal Axe-FX.

I'm a traditional tube guy myself and I don't own a Axe-Fx, but if I was in your shoes and I needed a setup that was super flexible I would get a Fractal Axe-Fx.

There is plenty of info about them here @ TGP.

dantedayjob

Traynor YCS 100 H... All tube. 3 discrete channels; 1 clean, 2 drive- drive channels have three voicing options (such as vintage and modern settings), each channel has it's own 3 band eq, gain, channel vol and reverb level controls. Master vol, master presence and master resonance controls. Switchable from 100 watts class A/B to 30 Watts class A... all this and a two year unconditional warranty

I LOVES mine

I am going with the VHT/Fryette Sig X.
I have not played on a Mark V. But own a IV and have owned a II and III. I have spent time with the other amps and believe the Sig X has more usable voices than the rest combined.

Roodyrocker

Axe Fx is a good choice. If you insist on a traditional amp, the Randall RM100 is a 3 channel tube head with removable pre-amp tube modules. It has a series and a parallel effects loop, can run 6L6 or EL34 tubes, has external test bias points and is easy to retube and bias yourself, and the price is not bad on them either. The MTS modules can be had fairly cheap on the used market and there are tons of them which range from clean to the most modern of distortions. I don't think there is anything else out there as versatile as these. For more upscale amps, I love the Bogner Ecstacy. Thats a pretty versatile amp as well but much more expensive than the Randall too. Oh yeah, one more amp that sounded great at NAMM with good versatility was the Mesa Ultradyne. I own the other 3 mentioned but only heard the Mesa at NAMM.

Waxhead

You can't include amps that aren't even for sale yet :facepalm

Right now definitely
Mesa Express 5:50
Mesa Roadster

when released probably also the
Mesa Mark 5
Egnater Rebel 30

Last edited:

Audioholic

Versatile? Egnater or Randall Moduler amps (mod 50, or rack versions)

You can have 4 channels at least, custom pick your modules, and continue to experiment without breaking the bank! The Axe FX through a power amp is also a winner for versatility.

solo-act

I needed a more versatile rig than just sticking with one amp platform so I went axe-fx and have been very happy. A lot of p&w players really like it for versatility and volume control.

Baloney

Line 6 Vetta. It wont sound as good as the others mentioned but its pretty freakin versatile..

dcooper830

An amp is only as versatile as the person playing it.

I have a JCM 800 and I can play hard rock, classic rock, blues, R&B, country, and Top 40 pop with it and just a Les Paul.

Some chorus, reverb, and delay helps a little here and there also.

Therefore, I don't buy any of this crap about versatile amps and guitars.

I have a JCM 800 and I can play hard rock, classic rock, blues, R&B, country, and Top 40 pop with it and just a Les Paul.

Can you do that with a twin and no pedals / effects ?

Same here ... maybe if I really pushed the power amp the others. Remember when the 800 came out it was versatile. But I agree with what you were saying about the player ....

Waxhead

Can't agree - what makes these Mesa's & Egnaters so much more versatile than the rest are the variable wattage settings, the multi channels, the many different voices, the choice of tube types & the EQ options.

That gives you Class A tone at 5w thru Class A/B at 50w so you can crank and saturate the tubes for killer tone at home, for recording, for small venue's right thru to stadiums. Plus, on the Mesa 5:50 for example, it's not just a power cut switch but 2 different voices in different circuits so at 5w it's a british sounding tone and at 50w it's massive Mesa.

Plus they give fantastic cleans, OD thru to high gain.
Plus you've got far greater control over EQ with stuff like contour, tight & bright pots and 5-band EQ's added on top of the basic treble, mid & bass.

Then add on your choice of switching between EL-84's, 6L6 & 6V6 tubes or blending them like you can on the Egnaters and .......well........just leaves a JCM800 for dead. Great amp - used to own one but it's a one trick pony by comparison with these new Mesa's and Egnaters.

I don't care how great a player you are, you'll have a lot of new voices and options with these new amps. You can eliminate most of your pedal board (thereby reducing tone suck & things to go wrong) and they're like half the size and weight of those old Marshalls & Fenders :eek:

Last edited:

franksguitar

I've seen some musicians in a large church use tube preamps with pedals into a main large mixer and effects and having separate monitor feeds with a soundman and some other with miked smaller amps especially in conjunction with a choir. Drums are always enclosed with a fiberglass shield to prevent bleed. I saw a Christmas show that was awesome even performing Transiberian Orchestra stuff.

Trending Topics