What is the most you will spend on a pedal?

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
$50 USD. All pedals are ridiculously overpriced, single use items, IMO.

Probably not a popular opinion on THE GEAR PAGE. So sue me.
Single use? Hmm, food, booze, cigarettes, all single use. Guitars, amps, pedals, pay once, lifetime of enjoyment. Should we assume that $50 is also ridiculously overpriced? If so, why buy any pedals at all?

stargazer747

I've spent $260 on my Analog Alien Fuzzbubble-45, worth it as far as I'm concerned. If I recall, think its the most I paid for a pedal. Most of my others are from $100 to $200.

whatizitman

Single use? Hmm, food, booze, cigarettes, all single use. Guitars, amps, pedals, pay once, lifetime of enjoyment. Should we assume that $50 is also ridiculously overpriced? If so, why buy any pedals at all?
I’ve never met anyone who kept a pedal for their entire life, much less enjoyed it for such a long time. They tend to be something players change around often.

And yeah, I kinda agree - why buy them at all? I only currently have two pedals. Both were less than $50. Both I use for drive, mainly to play at low volumes at home. One works for bass and guitar (mojo mojo). For bass it’s good for both drive and compression. It’s the only one I use outside the home. I need the compression cuz I’m a mediocre bass player at best.

It’s not that I don’t like pedals. I just don’t think they are worth the expense for what they do. Typical popular pedals cost around $100-200. A board of pedals can be in the thousands. Too much of a rabbit hole for me.

The OP asked, and I answered. YMMV, etc...

Laganlad

Silver Supporting Member
I thought I had a limit but I just blew it with a preorder for the Origin Revival Trem.
I guess you just just dangle a big enough carrot in front of me!

Jazzandmore

I’ve never met anyone who kept a pedal for their entire life, much less enjoyed it for such a long time. They tend to be something players change around often.

And yeah, I kinda agree - why buy them at all? I only currently have two pedals. Both were less than $50. Both I use for drive, mainly to play at low volumes at home. One works for bass and guitar (mojo mojo). For bass it’s good for both drive and compression. It’s the only one I use outside the home. I need the compression cuz I’m a mediocre bass player at best.

It’s not that I don’t like pedals. I just don’t think they are worth the expense for what they do. Typical popular pedals cost around $100-200. A board of pedals can be in the thousands. Too much of a rabbit hole for me.

The OP asked, and I answered. YMMV, etc...
I've had a number of pedals for years and no desire to get rid of them. They are awesome at what they do. But you are likely right, most folks tend to change things often. Not sure if it's because they don't know exactly what they want, or if it's more similar to how folks view popular music...they really like this song until that song comes out next week and it's the favorite...until another song comes out a week a later by a different artist and now it's the favorite.

But I do agree with your idea that if the pedals aren't going to be around long, then might as well not spend much on them.

Bill Lumberg

I Drink and I Know Things.
Gold Supporting Member
This is an insanely subjective question and thread. We all have differing life circumstances that inform how much we are willing to spend on anything. I don't really put an arbitrary limit on spending when it comes to guitar stuff because playing makes me happy. I've also been fortunate enough financially to be able to have that mindset. For too many years I let an ex-spouse dictate my spending based on her inherent frugality to keep the peace. My girlfriend, however, has a taste for buying herself absurdly priced handbags and suits so me coming home with a new PRS or Fulltone SSE or amp don't register with her. She just wants me to be happy which playing music facilitates. Do I NEED every piece of gear I buy? Of course not, but I'm also not subjugating other more necessary expenditures to do that. If I ever found myself putting off paying my taxes or household bills to buy gear, I'd shut that spigot off very quickly. The day that I say that I'll never buy a pedal more than $200 is the same day that I find a pedal that I just must have for $250.

p.j.

I generally trade towards gear but I would balk at something that is priced in a guitar or guitar price range. (I don't want to get rid of guitars to trade for pedals.)

graedb

Gold Supporting Member
pre mortgage? i think the eventide pitchfactor and timefactor pedals cost me 500 each so i'll say 500 during the carefree days of disposable income
during mortgage? most i've spent is 320 for a creepy fingers fuzz
post mortgage? havent got there yet, ~3 months to go! - but honestly, 500 was way too much, i think ~300 is about my limits nowdays

Mike J.

It depends on what the pedal does for me. I have some more expensive pedals like the Vemuran Jan Ray and the Revivaldrive Compact, but for what they do and for their price I couldn’t have bought the according amp. My Caline Orange Burst is a fix part of my setup and had cost me 30 bucks. See, it’s difficult to describe but it really depends. My experience is that sometimes it’s worth spending a little more and be happy.

Ranster44

This is an insanely subjective question and thread. We all have differing life circumstances that inform how much we are willing to spend on anything. I don't really put an arbitrary limit on spending when it comes to guitar stuff because playing makes me happy. I've also been fortunate enough financially to be able to have that mindset. For too many years I let an ex-spouse dictate my spending based on her inherent frugality to keep the peace. My girlfriend, however, has a taste for buying herself absurdly priced handbags and suits so me coming home with a new PRS or Fulltone SSE or amp don't register with her. She just wants me to be happy which playing music facilitates. Do I NEED every piece of gear I buy? Of course not, but I'm also not subjugating other more necessary expenditures to do that. If I ever found myself putting off paying my taxes or household bills to buy gear, I'd shut that spigot off very quickly. The day that I say that I'll never buy a pedal more than $200 is the same day that I find a pedal that I just must have for $250.
It IS subjective, which is why I asked. I wasn't asking so I could judge anyone. I asked because I'm simply curious AND I am about to put a bunch of used pedals for sale on Reverb in a month or so and was wondering what the average person here thinks is a reasonable amount to spend on a pedal so i would have some idea if some of my older/more spendy ones would sell.

M

Member 202408

I´ve bought many pedals in the $400-500 range. In a hypothetical scenario, let´s say I find a vintage pedal in great condition that I thought was the best pedal I had ever played, a real holy grail of a thing, I guess I might go up to something like 700 bucks. I would not like to do that, but I am pretty sure I would if I felt I really, really, really had to have it.

Who am I kidding, for the perfect fuzz I would probably sell my own mother.

jvin248

$50 USD. All pedals are ridiculously overpriced...not a popular opinion on THE GEAR PAGE....
$50 is my limit too. I'll buy used under that limit, which means the new price on the pedal could be $100+ish or I'll buy used under that. But my pricing expectations are going lower, not higher.

The last handful of pedals I bought, new:
Azor Fuzz $20, Black Rat $25, gold Klon clone $28, Joyo American Sound $30, the pair of DS-1s I have (that I stack together into a single boutique pedal) cost $40 total for the pair, Ditto mini clone for $35. They work surprisingly well.

Those pedals are the real competition, if this thread was created to sniff out possible acceptable pricing bands for a new pedal entry.

The time of the expensive pedals is waning because people are finding they can't buy a $300 pedal and flip it on ebay for another $300 pedal over and over again with barely any 'rental' fee. Trading platform fees are up, taxes are up, and shipping is up. I see fewer used pedal swapping than just a couple years ago.

I am expecting that the next wave of very cheap pedals will be pairings of popular styles in a single mini box. Say a Rat plus a TS. Or a Reverb plus Delay. Obviously these already exist in the $200-$300 range boutique pedals but the mini builders will sell doubled-up pedals for $30 and players will have even lighter boards to cart around.

By the way, if you are creating a new pedal, make sure you have "funny pedal name" but include a subtitle that says "Fuzz pedal" or "Fuzzier Muff" so that someone seeing the pedal knows what general niche it kind of fills. I hate looking at a clever pedal and wondering what it's supposed to do.

Last edited:

Deadicated

About $150-200 for me. I'm not saying I'd never go over that but by buying used and being patient I haven't had to. I'm not going to pay more for a pedal than I could score a nice amp for.

Fr3shMak3r

Whatever
I don’t have a dollar limit really. I don’t buy pedals very often, and when I do it’s because something really jumps out at me.

As long as the price is reasonable for what it provides, I’ll spend it. The Eventide H9 comes to mind. I bought a Max, and yeah, it’s pricey, but it’s a fantastic sounding jack of all trades pedal that covers so much ground it’s actually saved me a lot of money on single-purpose pedals I might only use occasionally.

h-pr

The most expensive pedal I bought so far was the EQD Life Pedal, but that was a notable exception to my buying habits.
Usually I stay below the €200 mark. I'm trying below €150, but that is becoming harder.

Overall, however, I'm buying significantly less pedals than I used to, so I guess it evens out.

Last edited:

Trending Topics