What is the most you will spend on a pedal?

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
I have one amp and currently three guitars but one is 24 years old that I’ve had since I was a kid and one is for sale.

So I don’t have a ton of gear outside of pedals.

But I do have a lot of pedals at the moment and some rather expensive ones. Most will be eventually be sold though but I’m enjoying the process of deciding on my keepers. Most I’ve ever spent has been $600 for a Cornish SS3. Also have a couple Kingsley, Strymon, and lots of Chase Bliss. But they’re fun, easy to ship when the time comes, and I don’t mind taking a little hit on the price for experience of owning them.

And since I keep my overall gear to a relatively small amount I like to make sure I find the gear I really really like and that prevents me from accumulating more in the long run.

OotMagroot

I spent $400+ on a custom dual delay and reverb unit. And.....I never use it. The last few pedals I've bought have been $260-$275. A return to form after spending like 3 years buying nothing over $100-$125.

metrokosmiko

Silver Supporting Member
No dirt must go over 200 SHIPPED.

Boss DD-500 and SA Collider are the only ones I've splurged in, and I did buy both at a discount from Prymaxe, w free US shipping and then had someone bring them to my country.

Abram4235

It IS subjective, which is why I asked. I wasn't asking so I could judge anyone. I asked because I'm simply curious AND I am about to put a bunch of used pedals for sale on Reverb in a month or so and was wondering what the average person here thinks is a reasonable amount to spend on a pedal so i would have some idea if some of my older/more spendy ones would sell.
I wouldn't base your asking prices or sold prices on the answers you get here. There is a buyer for everything and the market is huge. Just use the price guide at reverb or sold listings on ebay and go from there. That info is way more valuable than the small sample size you'll get here, especially with no poll to tally results and no specific pedals in mind for context.

It is an interesting discussion though.

I think $400 is the most, and only if I really liked it. I think the JHS Sweet Tea was $315 but it is worth every penny, and it’s technically two pedals in one so it’s really not a bad deal at all.

Tmidiman

Most I’d pay for analog versions of the following,... $50-60 for dirt, less than $40 for boost, $75 for mod, and $95 for delay. Digital version, maybe 60-75% more.

I’m probably the only person who believes Reverb should add a ROFLMAO button for the prices that some people ask.

JackfromAK

Platinum Supporting Member
I answered about what I have spent, but I've been eyeballing the Glou Glou offerings for a while now, that would probably set a high mark if i end up getting one of theirs. I had one of the "new" Binsons on my watch list for a few months but I never managed to pull the trigger for various reasons.

I paid a little over $500 for my Hexe Revolver Dx. Nothing else like it at the time. Still isn't anything quite like it, though there are now pedals that can do some of what it does. Don't use it a lot, but there are instances where it's nice to be able to pull it out of my bag of tricks and add it to a piece of music. Helps keep things interesting. Ventris, Mood, and Dream Sequence were around $400 each or close to it. Plenty of others at $300 or higher. I plan on one day getting the Empress Zoia, and Chase Bliss Blooper (both $500), but there's no big rush. I'll wait until I can afford them without compromising any of my fiscal responsibilities.

Most of the time when I play, I just plug my guitar into my amp. But I do write and record music, and effects can certainly enhance and add aural interest to a song, even if they're not integral to the song itself. Think of it as ear candy. What would U2, Radiohead, and Pink Floyd, et al, songs sound like without effects? Different for sure. Sometimes an effect can provide inspiration for a song or riff/progression that otherwise would not have been thought of. And THAT is priceless.

Life is short. Buy the pedals you want.

Lots of worse things to spend money on, that's for sure.

singlecutarmy

150 and I'd have to be really sold on it, and I only say that cause I got my keeley el rey dorado.

I would be hard pressed to pay more since there's so many affordable pedals that sound great.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I used to have a $200 limit, then it became $300, then $400, now at $500. I will spend what it takes to get what I want. If I need a delay with presets, not many cheap options out there.

I find these threads always seems to bring out those with lower spending limits, stating their limit as like a badge of honor. However, you look at the origin effects, Strymon, Kingsley, Meris, Chase Bliss, etc threads and there seems to be many who are willing to pony up the money. Makes me think that most of those people stay out of threads like this.

BMW-KTM

H9 Max.
Forget the price back then but definitely the most I'd ever spent on one stomp box.

Worth it, BTW.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
guilty pleasures aside, i'm not roughing it on pedal budgets. i'm a minimalist in actuality, so things could be a whole lot worse. $250 and under is a comfort zone, over that gets hard to reconcile. i've put together great boards of pedals under $140. but my best & favorite pedals cost or are worth more. my weakness is vibe, fuzz and delay pedals. so you can probably see my dilemma hanging around the gear page. gourmet single overdrive pedals have never wooed me but maybe i'm just not going down the proper rabbit hole?

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have a range that I was comfortable with but these days justify things by quality, not necessarily cost. My pedal purchases of the last year range from $60 to over $500, but I’ve also pared down my pedal collection pretty drastically and just kept what works really well for my rig.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
I once spent a grand for a real deal tape echo. Not an Echoplex, a modern version. A Fulltone maybe? Yeah, a Fulltone. Sounded great, not $1,000 great, I sold it shortly thereafter. I would say my comfort zone runs out at around $300. I am not really a pedal guy. Most of my keepers are cheapers, like an original Bad Monkey and a new TS-Mini.

SubApathy

Platinum Supporting Member
$220 was the most I've spent on a pedal (not including shipping and taxes).

2020 may change that though. The Walrus D1 is very tempting.
Well...what I said was true. I did spend decent amounts on pedals throughout 2020. I cannonballed down the Chase Bliss rabbit hole by purchasing a first run Bliss Factory ($399) and another from the second Bliss Factory run. In 2021, I continued by purchasing a CBA Generation Loss (supposedly Joel's demo unit) for a pretty penny ($1,250). I have no regrets. I've gone full TGP.

JosephZdyrski

Depends on the pedal and how plentiful money is at the given time. Ideally it’s limitless I’d spend thousands but at this very moment it’s exactly 0.00 lol

Seriously though I could probably scrounge up 20-25 for Joyo American sound(if one shows up at the used shop near my house) or something underpriced around that range for whatever reason but I don’t plan on getting any pedals at the moment, as money is a bit tight and I’m satisfied with my options.... wouldn’t mind having an American sound though passed on one for about 30 recently and kind of regret not trading in a pedal to get it almost free... but I can wait.... hopefully I won’t regret that decision but I probably will lol.

Last edited:

Trending Topics