1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

What is the next step after an SM57?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by WillLane, Apr 13, 2016.

1. WillLane

WillLane Member

For guitar amps in particular. Both recording and live. Disregarding budget, but it needs to be a reasonable step up.

2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Beta 57 would be the step "up", but for amps, I'm not sure that a direct vertical jump to the Beta is what you want.

jrjones likes this.
  3. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Disregarding budget? Budget has nothing to do with the 'next step'.

The next step is obtaining a thorough knowledge of all the components of a studio
    including but not limited too - understanding from mic up to mix down - intelligently
    matching mic preamps to mics - a thorough concepts of how different elements react
    in your space - and then a case history of microphones so that you understand why
    people choose the microphones they choose.

pbmw, Rockinrob86 and Ed DeGenaro like this.
  4. loudboy

loudboy Member

many different varieties, at all price ranges - I'd look at Senn 609 or 906, Audix i5 for lower budgets.

If you want to have your hair blown back, it will be a Royer.

5. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of sm57s. Royer 121 blew me away when I first used one. Comparable experience as a Neumann 84 on an acoustic. "Oh, there it is."

6. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

TUL G12. Super-easy to set up and it sounds like whatever your rig sounds like.

7. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

Beyerdynamic M69, but mostly what papanate said

8. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

Beta 57 if want something spectacular for a reasonable budget. The Royer is also fantastic for a little more.

The Beta 57 shouldn't be called a "57" because it's so much better than an SM57, it's not fair to keep it in the same ideal.

jrjones likes this.
  9. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

Sennheiser e906... that was my evolution! It has a much flatter frequency response than the 57; the best explanation I can give is that the mic just makes your amp sound like "more" through the PA without any extra colour. The flat face of the mic means it can hang down in front of the amp without a stand as well, which is a nice plus.

rowdyyates, Otto Tune and NamaEnsou like this.
  10. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

Been a very happy camper with 609's in my live rig.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  11. WillLane

WillLane Member

How does the e609 compare to the e906? I see the 906 has a 3 high-frequency adjustments. From the frequency chart, the high-frequency roll-off position is not really a roll-off, but it flattens the top end a bit, as both the other positions are really boosts. And yes, I know the charts are not exactly 100% accurate.

My issue with the e609 and the 906 as well is that the chart looks and they sound silly-ly similar to the SM57. My issue with the 57 are the spikes after 5k. With an AC30, that spike adds some unwanted, unnatural bite. At the sound board, I try to have it eq'd out a little bit but I would prefer to have as flat a response as possible. That said, the e906 is the most appealing at the moment. Or at least to blend the 57 with it as well.

EDIT: Going with the e906. Will report back.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  12. lkft

lkft Member

I would say a Senn 509 or MD409

NamaEnsou likes this.
  13. vladimirwolfe

vladimirwolfe Supporting Member

I'm using a Senn MD 421 II and like it a lot.

14. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

+1 for the Sennheiser e609 - I didn't find it to sound similar at all to an SM57. Much clearer, more accurate reproduction of what my amp actually sounds like, and with more of a sense of "immediacy" if that means anything. I always found the 57 to sound dull or distant somehow on guitar amps.

I'm not really savvy enough to different frequencies to explain it better than that, but I don't think they sound alike at all and I felt the e609 was a huge step up.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  15. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Heil PR 30 is loads better than a 57.

wickedcookie, Cruciform and NamaEnsou like this.
  16. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

sennheiser 906 or an original black 609, not the silver model. money no object, 421.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  17. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I just watched a couple comparisons of the 57 and 121. Holy Crap is all I have to say about, lol. Never heard of the Royer before now. I've also always thought the SM57 and 58 both sound just bleh even though I've owned a pair of each for years.

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

The single best purchase I've ever made, as far as ability to capture electric guitar.

Stick it in front of the amp, bring the fader up in the control room, watch the shock on the client's face. <g>

MikeVB, MrTAteMyBalls and Bryan T like this.
  19. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

Royers (any) are quite a bit more than "a little more" than a Beta 57...!

TUL G12: never heard of this one before this thread. Who sells them?

jrjones likes this.
  20. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

If you want the ribbon Mic experience for less money the cascade fathead is an option. I haven't used one so I won't vouch for it but people that have used one generally seem to like it. Just keep in mind ribbon mics cannot deal with phantom power and are just generally more fragile so they may not be the best option to carry around for live shows. I certainly wouldn't bring one.

I have never had the opportunity to use a real Royer 121. However when I record at home and use impulse responses that's the first Mic selection I always go for. It just sounds so right on almost any guitar speaker LOL. Blend in just a hint of a 57 or 421 or PR 30 for bite and you are in Tone City.