What IS the perfect Hot Rod Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bard2dbone, Jul 13, 2008.

1. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

I got to jam with a guy I sort of know a few nights ago. He had an amp that was clearly labeled as a Hot Rod Deluxe, in tweed, that sounded like no Fender I've ever heard up close.

This thing could push bigger air than I expected, but it sounded GOOD. It sounded a bit more aggressive than I expected, but in a very useful way.

It was pretty darn perfect. But he wouldn't tell me what he'd done to it. He admitted to a speaker change, but his wife snorted and said "You've done a lot more than THAT to this little monster.

But he wouldn't tell me what the mods were. It was smoothed out with a really even response. There was a LOT more useful tone to be found than I expected. It still got more burnt han a lot of Fenders (But isn't that the whole point behind the "Hot Rod" name?) but it never went harsh or brittle.

I want it.

So I guess the question is: If you were modding a Hot Rod Deluxe to make the ultimate broadly voiced, smooth-toned, blues and rock machine, how would you mod it?

As a second question: All the HRD's I'm seeing are the black ones. Have they quit making tweed?​

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

maybe a Omega amps mod

3. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

If it was tweed, you may have seen a Blues Deluxe - a better sounding amp, to my ears.

A speaker, and omnisonic level control for $17.95, and you're good to go.

Cheers,
    Cowboy

4. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I agree. Most likely a Fender Hot Rod Blues Deluxe. Did the tweed look lacquered?

I find that as far as blues goes those Fender Hot Rod amps (the blues deluxe and the hot rod deluxe) sound like gold. My current favorite is the Hot Rod Deville, but that's mostly because I like the 4 10 inch speakers.

5. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Omega will mod one for that smooth tone. I am getting one this week.

Mike

6. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

I have a "limited edition" White Lightning Hot Rod Deluxe. The big difference is the stock Celestion Century neo speaker. I get favorable comments and questions about the amp from guitar players. Put a 5751 in V2 and the drive channel is quite usable. I use the clean channel with a Keeley Fuzzhead and a Timmy. All I need.

7. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

More than you'll ever need to know can be found here:

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

But I agree with 84Bravo, a 5751 will help tame and smooth out the drive channel. I had one 5 or 6 years ago that I eventually sold. I still miss it sometimes. The sucker was too loud for what I needed, but it was a fun amp.

8. NTBluesGuitar

NTBluesGuitar Member

I stuff 5E5A (Tweed Pro) circuits in 'em re-using the iron that's there.

No reverb, foot-switching, or FX loop, but it's got what counts...touch sensitivity and the Tweed sound.

I've seen some guys put a 5F6A Bassman in theirs, but I think that circuit would do better in a DeVille.

9. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

I have a Ten year old (roughly) Hot Rod Deleuxe which I thought sounded pretty good until I put JJ 6V6S in the power section and Tung Sol 12AX7s in the preamp. Now I think it is up there with the more high priced amps.

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Question 1: I would send it to Jim Price at Omega Amps. Simple enough.

Question 2: The HRD was made in tweed for only a limited production run. Prior to the HRD, there was the Blues Deluxe in tweed, which lacked the HRD's more gain channel.

IMHO, the Blues Deluxe has a much more musical sounding clean channel than the HRD's clean channel, and also IMO, the Blues Deluxe is a much better platform for OD pedals than the HRD.

But Jim does not do the Omega mod on the Blues Deluxe, only on the HR series, because the HR series has that extra gain channel. From what I've heard about this mod, you end up with an amp that is better sounding, more harmonically rich, touch sensitive and versatile than either HRD or Blues Deluxe. I am saving my pocket change to buy a used HRD and get the mod done.

In the meantime, I continue to use a Blues Deluxe with some Jetter Gear pedals and a speaker upgrade with some pretty amazing results.

11. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I bought a stock Hot Rod Deluxe the other day and gigged with it both nights this weekend. I had a blast with it. I brought a few Mullard (original) 12Ax7's with me Saturday and that made a difference. It worked fantastic with my pedals and I had a lot of complimements. I play country and usually use a 65 Royal Albert rig.....I love it but can't say I totally missed it! I feel a bit guilty. Now I need to swap speakers...will a Gold fit in the Hot Rod?

12. Crikey

Crikey Member

I'm with those who say, if it sounded more aggressive than you expected yet was smooth, it was probably an Omega modded HRD (rather than a Blues Deluxe). The guy didn't want to tell you what he did to mod it, because all he did was write a check to Omega.

Crikey

13. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I have an Omega HRDX.

It sounds like a blackface fender to me. (I don't really use the dirty side anymore, too loud)

I've a/b'd it with an old Pro Reverb and they sounded very similar.

14. Mark C

Mark C Member

I have an Omega mod HRD as well. Huge improvement over the stock amp. The cleans are tighter and more blackface sounding and the overdrive is very sweet, full of harmonics and not mushy. I also had him add the footswitchable mid-boost which just takes everything over the top. As for tweed - if you look around, you'll find the HRD has been made in special editions with various covering options, including tweed, blue, red, green, etc... Some of these editions also had upgraded speakers, like Celestion V 30s. I put an eminence Cannabis Rex in my HRD and couldn't be happier with it.

15. biggreen

biggreen Member

:rotflmao@ the guy not telling you what mods it had. That is brutal.

16. Deaj

Deaj Member

Agreed - the description sounds like an Omega modded HRDx. Tone monster and a real bargain!

17. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

i was considering the omega mod, then heard that it just made the amp sound different, not necessarily better. instead i put JJ 6L6's and installed a cannabis rex, and i couldnt be happier.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Here's what you do: you start with the Blues Deluxe, gut it, and rebuild it as a PTP Bandmaster-alike (mine, built by Pete Cage, is not a clone, it has enhancements). Following photos, including chassis shot, posted with Pete's permission.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Until this, I was figuring that a BF DRRI was the amp I needed for my home studio.

Now I want an HRDx like his. That thing was amazing.

20. NTBluesGuitar

NTBluesGuitar Member

I agree! (the 5E5A I stuff in them):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]