What is the right "Hybrid" amp for recording direct...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I just bought a Super Champ XD from MF but it has not shipped and I think I'm going to have to cancel although I'd really like to hear this thing... I think the line out setup is a deal breaker. Turns out the line out seems to be pretty specific to sending signal to a PA or slaving to another amp and NOT recording direct to a DAW. Recording direct to DAW was my primary reason for purchasing an amp like this... also, the line out comes after the DSP/modeling but before any tube power section and such, so it probably sounds much better as an amp than as a modeling/recording device.
    I ventured across this amp which looks like it might be better suited for direct to disk recording...Kustom HV30: Anyone try/buy one of these?
    http://www.kustom.com/player.aspx?MediaID=1130
    Like I said, a nice sounding practice/low volume amp is great but headphone and direct recording to disk are essential right now (just returned my line 6 toneport :BOUNCE)

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

i know, i know... I should have skipped the $1k Rivera, waited and saved up for the Axe Fx and I am surely kicking myself now. But, I can't go back in time so I'm looking for a cheap(er) alternative. Your Axe Fx sounds amazing in your YouTube clips btw... jealous for sure.
    But, this Kustom HV30 looks pretty sweet for what it is... the direct out is XLR and has been "specially designed" with "great care" taken with the speaker emulation - I guess we shall see. Of course the clips on their site sound amazing, but I think the fact that the direct out comes after the preamp and power amp stage is what I'm looking for from a recording standpoint.
    So, I would be forgoing "modeling" and just trying to get a really nice tone direct from the amp (but possibly sweetened with some DSP effects). Very few reviews on it so far, but I might take a chance.

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

WTF???