What is the smallest headstock tuner out there?

Blue Bee

What is the smallest headstock tuner out there? Looking for something tiny that actually works pretty good... I have a Snark and quality/accuracy is good enough for me but wanting something even smaller. Thx

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I am cool with the NS mini. I only use it on acoustic at church.
Yes, use it on my electrics and acoustic. The clamp is not weak, you just need to squeeze it tight as there are cogs/teeth that catch the clamp to keep it tight. The new NS tuner has a fully adjustable head that provides more angles for viewing. Both are small and work very well.

jordane93

Yes, use it on my electrics and acoustic. The clamp is not weak, you just need to squeeze it tight as there are cogs/teeth that catch the clamp to keep it tight. The new NS tuner has a fully adjustable head that provides more angles for viewing. Both are small and work very well.
Yep. I use one at home for practice. Nothing wrong with the NS tuner.

Bee Thomas

Perhaps at church they work well, but playing heavy rock in a bar and getting into it, they fly off your headstock to who knows where. I will amend my statement to "the clamp is too weak for aggressive playing styles."

I liked the tuner... I just lost them both...the first time i used them onstage. They are fine for rehearsal or light gigging.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Perhaps at church they work well, but playing heavy rock in a bar and getting into it, they fly off your headstock to who knows where. I will amend my statement to "the clamp is too weak for aggressive playing styles."

I liked the tuner... I just lost them both...the first time i used them onstage. They are fine for rehearsal or light gigging.
Totally agree. Headstock tuners are not compatible with enthusiastic stage players. That is a situation where you either tune before you play and set the tuner down and rely on a well set up guitar's stability or just live with a pedal tuner.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Snark S-1 Son of Snark tuner is very small and very accurate.

Blue Bee

Good thing I'm not a hard rocker gymnast then. The original snarks been working fine for a few years just want something smaller. Never had issues gigging it with my full band in the past but we played at non-hard-rock volumes.

Hmm guess its between the son of snark or the ns mini... Anyone tried both?

Last edited:
NS Tuner is extremely accurate, more so than any other clip on I've ever seen. But it does have a couple of drawbacks. As was said, the clamp gets weak if you abuse it in anyway. It is also designed to clamp on the bottom widest part of a Fender headstock and it WILL chew off your Fender decals if you have vintage style decal (on top of the clear and unprotected)

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Son of Snark and haven't tried the NS but it looks too small to see it well.

ksandvik

NS works fine, tracks well, could see the values at any stage, fits well all the headstocks I use. Just need to clamp it down properly. And as with any such small LCD displays, if you drop them to the stage with an odd angle, good chance the LCD display will get cracked.

ballhawk

Silver Supporting Member
I find that Hammer, Anvil, and Stirrup always works in a pinch and rarely hits the floor if I get too energetic
;)

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I forgot to mention that I find the NS works best next to the high e string tuner, which becomes an issue when using my guitar stand that holds the headstock.

Trending Topics