What is the workhorse all around gig, practice and recording amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearo999, Sep 29, 2005.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

It's seems many amps excel at one thing and lacks in other areas. What amp would be the all around MVP that you could gig with, use to practice at home and record with and still have money for gas?

From what I have been see in a lot of forums is the Bogner Shiva. Great clean, very good crunch channel, takes pedals well; its a small head from a good company.

What is your MVP?

2. aquadog

aquadog Member

Peavy classic 30/50 is an obvious choice.
    My sunn T50c does a great job as well, though they're not known quite as well.

An orange would do the job as well.
    All cheaper than the bogner, especially used.

3. doc

doc Member

I don't own one, but my vote goes to a vintage Fender Deluxe. If I had to own just one for EVERYTHING, this would probably be it. Perfect bedroom amp, mike it for the gig, great for blues, country, classic rock as is, pedal in front for other styles, records beautifully, predictable response to different guitars.

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Any of the Maven Peals. If you can pick them up! :D

5. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

Rivera M60. From 8 watts to 60 watts. Fender cleans to marshall grind. So tweakable it's insane. Records beautifully, good master volume for low volume practice, loud enough to gig with, what more can you ask for. One of the deepest and best sounding combo amp speaker cabs I've played. Can be had used for around $600. It's my favorite amp.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Princeton Reverb II-great clean tone, decent overdrive, enough power and volume for most stages (with the EV SRO option).

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

A good call, indeed.

9. Roe

Roe Member

perhaps a alessandro working dog series rottweiler (20/40w) - good overdriven and clean sound. Sounds fenderish, but with a voxish high midrange sparkle and chime.
    IT takes pedal well and is extremely light. costs 1000$.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Depends on the player and their sound.

If I had to pick one from my experience it would be my Top Hat Club Royale. I have gigged, recorded and used the hell out of that amp.

11. poipounder57

poipounder57 Member

I have just rediscovered my SF Vibrolux with BF mods. It's one Sweeeeeet amp:p It's all of the above and more...only there're getting a little pricey.

12. Colt

Colt Member

I just played Chris Wilder's new Astroverb 1x12 soldano lastnight....and we were getting all kinds of tones out of it....great price right now on the used market and TONS of TONES

13. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Good pick! :dude

14. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Totally, and in essence, there should be a lot of different opinions to this question.

I'd have to agree with the Rivera Jake, I had the Rake (head), and that thing recorded extremely well, actually surprised me a bit, and can definitely do many things.

Second would be a Peavey Classic 30/50.

Edit: I was only thinking tubes, but while I haven't recorded with my Tech 21 trademark 60, I've taken that thing on many a gig with different types of bands, it performed extremely well, and it does have an XLR out with the sansamp technology, so I'm sure it records well.

15. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

Koch studiotone (2xel84)

smooth clean jazzy to ZZZINNNG sparkly clean.
    old fashioned semidriven tones to shredinng gain.

recordin out, reverb

easy to carry, esp. the head!
    that´s when the amp is easier to lift than your guitar case.

DrDespair

16. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Jamison.

The amp sounds unbelieveably ggod clean, grindy and at full tilt where there is a lot of gain. It has 2 different sounding inputs, one which is more Fendery, the other more British.

It has a superb tremelo and reverb, is a pedal slut, and is very dynamic--channel switching not needed. I've gigged with it for 5 years, and it sounds super with a mic in front.

17. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

Engl Sovereign 100 watt combo. 4 channels (clean, crunch, soft lead, hard lead), two master volumes, built like a tank, compact and only approx 50 pounds. Seems quite well from roaring rock to lush ballads and the "in-between" crunchy bluesy stuff.

18. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

At the moment:D
    My TopHat Emplexador 50

19. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

There are tons of great amps out there - old school, boutique, etc.....I own old ones (Super, Deluxe, Champ, Marshall, Vox) and new school stuff (Bad Cat, Dr. Z) and my favorite all around amp is probably the Deluxe Reverb.

But.......If I had to choose one amp to record and gig with...it would be hands down my '65 Vibrolux Reverb. At 35 watts it can cut any gig and also is very sweet in the studio. The Deluxe might be a bit sweeter sounding but it can't cut every gig I do, while the Vibrolux can and it's 40 lbs lighter than my Bad Cat.

20. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

nothing beats the reliability of my Dr. Z Maz Jr. NR or Carmen Ghia

Fenders have a "pretty" clean sound but I wouldn't trust one without a back up