• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

what is this? Amazon selling exclusive Gibson guitars for $268

Brad8008135

Silver Supporting Member

sg13

Search threads for Gibson m2, already discussed a bit. They are cheap, very cheap parts, started at $499 and quickly dropped to blowout prices. I will buy one when they get to $99.

rsm

For that price I'd get a Jackson JS32 (and I did, out on truck for delivery today)

Otter359

Silver Supporting Member
The amazon listing said it's the dawn of a new era for made in the USA guitars... I certainly hope not

Schweezly

Silver Supporting Member
I really like how the grey one looks, but I have a feeling I'd be disappointed. Seems like a guitar you try 5 out in store and buy the decent one.

Carbohydrates

From what I heard: necks are set at slightly the wrong angle and you'll bottom out the bridge before you get the action lowered quite far enough.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
I heard that there were issues with the strings getting low enough but I had heard that it was a crap bridge that was the issue not the neck being set at the wrong angle.

Basically from what I have heard from the reviews all of the hardware and electronics are crap. By the time you replace the tuners, bridge, pickups, pots etc you are spending in the realm of a good Epiphone or SE and both are better guitars overall.

dubdub

Im still thinking about it since I can use a beater/project, with tax its about $300, my other option is a $99 Rondo Tele.

kevo_20716

I was very excited about this when I first saw it this morning. I was hoping for a deal like the Fender Jaguarillo blow out from a few years back that I was lucky enough to take part in.

Then I started reading some reviews and got the impression that it's on par with the guitar you get in those starter packs for $159 or whatever. High action, soft wood, low-end parts. Meh, I'll pass.

Tim Plains

Thanks for the thread. I didn't know they were on sale and just ordered one. I'm not expecting much but a $400 Canadian (exchange rate sucks) Gibson guitar is a no Brainer. If I don't like it, not planning on it, I'll be able to flip it for more than I paid.

Gibson SGJs were $500 new, cleared for $300. Canadian dollars. I see them on kijiji/CL all the time now for $700 - $1,000 just two years later. I'm figuring this M2 will be the same.

Carbohydrates

High action, soft wood, low-end parts. Meh, I'll pass.
Well if the action is a bridge issue rather than a build issue, that's not so bad. I mean, it's bad, and it should have been rectified, but I have a bunch of spare wraparound bridges already - a pigtail, a Badass, a lightning bolt, etc. I could probably make one work. As for the wood, poplar gets a bad rap sometimes but it's a fine wood, really. Poplar with a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard is the classic Fender Mustang formula, and I've seen some great poplar builds. Seeing as I have a parts drawer full of stuff that would fit one of these, I may bite. It's not like I have to invest any money in parts.

If they all had white pickguards, except the white one, and the white one had a black pickguard, I could see myself buying a few of them. But I really don't like the colour of thre pickguard on the ebony coloured one. It's not a guitar I would play to be honest, more of something that I would buy just for the sake of buying it.

I'm vain.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom