What is this amp worth?

Toneseeker361

What would you pay for this tube guitar amp?
Just by the picture, I believe it has 2 -12ax7 and 1-6V6 tubes.
I have no idea what its worth, and if somone can tell me more about this as far as power output, (more or less) what knob is what, and what are the plugs for, I would appriciate it.

TweeDLX

Looks like a 5-10 watt SE amp with at least one Weber tranny (OT), probably Vol, vol, tone, but could be Vol, tone, Master. Depending on the actual circuit, build, and component quality, I wouldn't pay more than $300-400 tops.

SatelliteAmps

TweeDLX is being very generous. Without knowing anything else about whats under the hood, I would say more in 150-200 range. There are a lot of these types of builds floating around right now.

Tuberattler

That looks to be closer to a champ or Princeton-tweed.. $150- $200 max... it's homemade and probably will sound good but no future value and a hard re-sale so I'd get it as cheap as possible.

jamesrsmith

cause i had had lots of old supros and valcos, rebuilt p.a. amps, and little 5 watt amps by various makers,10 watt amps, 12 watt amps, and prototypes and i have never had one that looked like this that i thought was worth more than a hundred bucks or so, cause they aint going to sound 4 hundred bucks' worth,, none of them..

Toneseeker361

Thanks for the replies, I was thinkin' 100.00 -+.....
I will defenetly use the info you all provided, thanks....

SatelliteAmps

Those are both weber transformers. How in the world could you put a price on it without hearing it first?
Because value of an amplifier has little to do with hearing it. That amp could sound insane, but it will never fetch $10k. It can be valued by comparing it to other amplifiers similar to it. Since we don't know the maker, that knocks the price down (it is a good assumption this was built by an amateur). Projects similar to this can be had in the $100-$200 range, so without knowing anything else to make this special, then that is where the value lays.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
sum of the parts.

We can't see the board (and so evaluate the quality of the build) or hear what it sounds like. with what we know its worth exactly what the parts would bring on the used market.

Toneseeker361

I see the 6V6 and the 12ax7 tubes, what are the blue and gray tubes for?
and are those two inputs in the front and two speaker outs in the back you think?
and whats that black rocker switch looking thing in the back.
and the switch on the back, is could it be a stand by switch?
I may buy it as a bedroom screamer (pun intended) or conversation starter for my livingroom.
thanks again guys.
PS and your right, hearing is believing.

smolder

from left to right, pre, pre, power, capcan, rec. No idea what the rocker or the toggle on the back is for.

Toneseeker361

from left to right, pre, pre, power, capcan, rec. No idea what the rocker or the toggle on the back is for.
I thought the 6V6 on the right side was the power tube?
you may be right, and probly know more than I do about this stuff.
and what is "rec" ..is that rectifier??(call me duffus)

smolder

Yes... The sovtek 5y3 is the rectifier. The blue can is likely the filter cap assembly. Usually several electrolytic caps stuffed into a metal can. Lots of smaller fenders use them... Larger fenders have a doghouse, marshall amps of all sizes used them.

Toneseeker361

Yes... The sovtek 5y3 is the rectifier. The blue can is likely the filter cap assembly. Usually several electrolytic caps stuffed into a metal can. Lots of smaller fenders use them... Larger fenders have a doghouse, marshall amps of all sizes used them.
Thanks

Trending Topics