• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is this "Gibson USA" pickup?

jondanger

Silver Supporting Member
I just made a trade for an SG Special that had new pickups installed. The guy said they were Burstbuckers. Sounded good so what do I care right?

Well he had put on a horrible pearlized pick guard, but had included the regular black one. So I pulled the strings and am changing the guard and this doesn't look like a burstbucker to me. Any idea what I'm working with here?

Incidentally, the neck pickup was actually a 57 Classic +, which is cool and sounds good, but has me wondering who was in charge of this bizarre choice of a pickup combo.

So what is this mystery pickup?

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
That pickup's been messed with. The covers have been on and off and the bobbin screws are missing. It's definitely not a burstbucker

jondanger

Silver Supporting Member
I see a faint '498T' on that baseplate so I would assume it's one of these:

http://store.gibson.com/498t-hot-alnico-bridge/

Man how did you spy that? Totally missed it and I had it under a lamp in person.

Really surprised that this thing is that high output - the tone of the 57 classic + totally overpowers it in the middle position.

In any case, the guitar sounds great. I may eventually get a regular 57 classic, put that in the neck, and move the + to the bridge. But no rush on that.

Thanks awallace, totally missed that faded sharpie mark. And yeah, I saw that the bobbin screws are out. Wonder what the deal is with that. I've heard so much bad talk about those 498Ts. Almost wonder if it hasn't been rewound. I guess only an ohmmeter will tell.

colinesquire

498t is not a bad pickup! A5 magnet with nice thick sound. They are wound hotter than pafs but soung great in sg bridge with the extra mids.

jondanger

Silver Supporting Member
498t is not a bad pickup! A5 magnet with nice thick sound. They are wound hotter than pafs but soung great in sg bridge with the extra mids.

Yeah I'm digging it right now. They just seem to be maligned on the forums. Sounds great through my Vibro Champ especially.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom