What is this phenomenon called?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Stratonator, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Is there a specific term for this?

A bit annoying or funny (depending on the day) when somebody does this. This happens especially on social occasions when people want to be funny. You say something and by the end of your sentence, they have an idea they want to share. I notice the eyes glazing and just KNOW they didn't actually listen.

As a joke with myself, I kindly call them out on it and ask them to repeat the one thing I just said to them 5 secs ago. They can't do it. As if their brain can't handle having a thought and listening attentively until they can reply. The moment the idea pops into their head, their hearing is disengaged and they only wait for the end of the sentence to utter what they thought of.

It's strange to me because I'm able to put my ideas in standby and let the person finish and pay attention to what is being said.

Another one is the person who repeats a jokey line that wasn't funny multiple times, as if people didn't laugh because they did not hear it the first time. Usually done while speaking over somebody.

Alcohol isn't particularly involved since this happens at the beginning of these events and even in the middle of the work day.

Turi likes this.
  2. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Many talk right over each other, it's annoying! it says to me, what your saying is not interesting.

Turi likes this.
  3. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

My wife does this. I usually start talking about the affair I'm having with a woman at work and proceed to get weirder and weirder until she catches on.

4. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

I think that phenomenon is called being rude

5. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

If somebody "calls me out" by asking me to repeat what they just said in a conversation I will probably tell them to f*(k off and walk away.

6. Probos

Probos Supporting Member

I always wanted open a gourmet hot dog stand on the beach at Hanalei Bay in Kauai. Maybe even sell hand crafted hacky sacks.

Wait,.....you said something?

7. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Huh? Sorry, I wasn't listening.

friend33, 65DuoSonic and Madsen like this.
  8. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Interesting. And I do mean that sincerely. Why would it make you this angry? That's a rather extreme hypothetical reaction to something so innocent.

Why would you be in a discussion with somebody and not pay attention? That is not rude to you? It's not a conversation as much as it's a monologue if the only party that is willing to listen is the other one, no?

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  9. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

A boring speaker may not be able to hold an audience.

Barnzy, crambone, Probos and 2 others like this.
  10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

It's called "When you're boring, people stop listening."

Kidding, just text them next time if you want their attention.

11. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

If only one person out of a handful addressed does this, wouldn't it stand to reason it's a lack of attention or an issue with processing thought that might be at play? Ears and brain can function but only one at a time.

12. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

And now, we're experiencing the common phenomenon of "TGP Thread Goes Awry On The OP"

13. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

No big deal. Was just asking. If there isn't a specific term for this, it's all good. :)

Jamalot likes this.
  14. stratovarius

I don't know if there's a word for it, but the lack of presence is definitely one of the symptoms of modern living.

Stratonator likes this.
  15. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

People with ADD often have poor eye contact--darting eyes, which can convey disinterest, distrust, or a lack of caring. They tend to listen selectively to the parts of a conversation that interest them, and tune out the rest. They tend to spend a lot of time in their head forming a reply. An idea may come to them when someone is speaking, yet they can't hold onto that idea and listen at the same time, so they have a need to interrupt and blurt their thought out.

http://education.jhu.edu/PD/newhori...ircles Applied to Attention Deficit Disorder/

Probos, Turi, Scrapperz and 1 other person like this.
  16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Everyone does this from time to time.

It just goes to show you there is no such thing as multitasking when it comes to cognitive activities. You can't actively listen to someone while thinking of what you are going to say next. :dunno

I would call it human nature. You say something that triggers a memory or thought, I can either let it go because I'm focused on you, or I entertain it. Sometimes this happens almost unconsciously.

65DuoSonic and jjohannes like this.
  17. stratovarius

That's interesting. It sounds like ADD is simply a deficit in working memory.

18. Mystix

Mystix Silver Supporting Member

Poor listening skills.

Not really a phenomenon. I have caught myself doing this and remembered to continue to improve my listening skills.

19. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

I've never noticed this.

I'd like think it's because I'm super interesting, but it's possible that I speak for the sake of speaking and have little care of how intently anyone is listening, or listening at all.
    Most likely though, I'm just fascinating.
    I know the tell tale signs of someone not listening, because I present them pretty much all day. I evoke a different reaction with my words.

Turi and AaeCee like this.
  20. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

It's similar to what happens here with regularity. People often open a thread and respond to the title. And it's clear they didn't even read the OP and what it was actually referring to.

Peteyvee, Turi and Stratonator like this.