what is this tool he is using?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Coldacre, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

what is the name of the tool this guy is using to tighten the switch nut. any ideas where I can buy one?

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

thanks for the reply!! I actually already have the second one and I found it horrible. you need three arms to use it; one to hold the switch from behind in place, another to hold the tool and another to tighten the concentric band. I ended up damaging my rather pricey Creamtone switch ring with it. needle nose pliers turned out to be much kinder, so i’m hoping this top thing will do the job the best.

thanks again!

3. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Member

I suspect you were using it wrong.

4. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

5. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Well, they all require a few hands...or really you just need to snug them up so the name plate doesn't move, and then hold the switch from behind. It's not automatic, and it CAN be frustrating, but any tool will give you the same results. Like a lot of things in luthiery, it's very simple, but it takes a bit of work to get it right. :)

AceBSpankin, frankencat and Coldacre like this.
  6. John Coloccia

BTW, I'll mention that a common cause of frustration is not having a washer. There are many reasons for washers, but in this case it really helps the nut slide snug while slipping over the washer, instead of moving the switch plate. And it does NOT have to be super tight. Just snug it up.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  7. Timtam

Timtam Member

A few bucks on ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-Origin...r-Tightening-Pots-Switches-Jacks/401386376433

BTW with any tool that is flat on the top surface of your guitar, be very careful of scratching your finish. The tool should be sanded to smooth any burrs, and then something should probably be placed between it and the surface as well.

I like the simple wrench, but the adjustable wrench does have the advantage of not touching the surface ... but the disadvantage that it may not fit over some switches / knobs.

8. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

I have the ESP tool and it's been very handy.

Like TimTam said have something between the tool and the surface of your guitar.

9. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Simply take a biz card and cut out the appropriate circle in the middle...put that between the guitar and the tool.

Jack Daniels likes this.
  10. John Coloccia

Giving away all the secrets in your old age, Terry?

Yah guys, these are just tools. They're not idiot proof. If you feel like something might get scratched, just put something under it for heaven's sake.

Honestly, it seems obvious to me at this point, but I'll say that there are very few resources out there that go into excruciating detail and show all of this minutia, and I know for a fact that a lot of this stuff isn't obvious at first glance.

Terry is an awesome teacher and has a great feel for saying the not-so-obvious obvious stuff the rest of us forget.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Terry McInturff likes this.
  11. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

You are very kind sir!