What is up with /13 amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

For as top of the line as these things are considered, I see way more of them for sale than I ever thought I would/should. I've never played one personally but all of the clips and/or artists that I've heard using them have great tones!
    I don't get it....:NUTS ....what gives?

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Great amps. Not for everyone, just like any other breed. I love them myself and need another FTR37 in my world.Fred makes killer amps.The fact that you see them for sale is due to the fact that there are a lot more of them out there now days and some people who bought and for whatever reason are moving on. I did but don't at all dismiss how good they sound. In fact I need another!!!!

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

There's a ton of great gear that gets flipped on the Gear Page

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

+1, and a lot of them are pretty darn loud to crank. Glorious tone, pretty hefty price tag.

5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Yup, great amps.. I'll never sell my FTR, I know that. It's a modern classic in the making, like the best Deluxe Reverb you ever heard with way more power and balls.. and that's just the verb channel, then you have the click channel for added measure...

6. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I think verybody has a differnt idea of good tone.
    You try it...You don't like it.
    FOR SALE!
    Oh yeah, always "the best one in the herd." LOL!
    I do it all the time.
    I am on a quest for a Fuchs ODSSLX50 combo or head.
    Who knows???? That amp is another in tonal territory I have never been.
    Might end up for sale once I give it a run.
    Even a bit of a loss is O.K. with me on a buy that I am not 75% satisfied with it.LOL
    At least I got to try it and fond out if it was my bag or not.

7. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I would buy an FRT in a second if there was a master volume on the click channel..... anyone know if there is any chance for a MV?

8. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

As usual it's not the amps, it's the owners. And their reasons will vary for a multitude of reasons. Every time I get away from my ERT33 for awhile I wonder why I own it, and then I'll drag it out and wonder why I own the SHIVA:YinYang . Vacillation is good, the grass is always greener, and the ears can grow tired of one thing after awhile in my case. I've just got to be slow to react to my whims, thats how I got here.:AOK

9. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I (still) Have a early ERT33 head.. One of the best amps I've ever had the pleasure to plug into.. Can't see ever selling it unless I had to sell everything I have..
    Fredrics amps seem to appeal to players that like to utilize tight bottom end but still stand out in a band mix with good mids and upper mids. They also have a lot of flexibilty by reacting to different speakers and cab layouts..
    You'll always see the more expnsive amps for sale as there's always a new "flavor of the month" amp model that guys just have to try...
    I've played a couple 13s-Ftr and RSA23 but I preffer the ERT33 by far.. many would dissagree.. Lots of different amps out there to try though..
    I think that's cool.....

10. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I heard that Fred doesn't like a MV on the 37 but he did do one as a favor for "Celestion 101" here on TGP. Curehardy asked I believe and was turned down. I know Fred also did a "one off mod" on LeonC's adding a 'loop(removing the 'verb).

I blend the two channels on mine but rarely use the click by itself. It's loud. The MV on the Dr Z 6545 is great. I miss mine sometimes.

11. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I'd love to have one...but they're typcially more than I'm willing to spend.
    At least for the moment. :AOK

I just found it odd that I see them for sale seemingly more than some of the other high end amps. I suppose someones loss is someones gain.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I think it was Abe Lincoln who said it:

"You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

13. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I think you'll see used prices come down some now that Fred has dealers carrying them & you don't have to buy direct. This may take a little while for them to get out there but worth the wait. Sometimes they pop up for a good deal. You just have to be ready to jump on it. I got my head & cab for a very reasonable $2800, they've been going for about $31-3300.

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Not many dealers. Hard to try before you buy. Lots of people have lots of faith :)

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an RSA or an LDW if the finances permitted...just based on what I have heard. They might not be right for me, but I'd be willing to assume that risk, and my guess is that a lot of people fall into that category.

Just my .02

15. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

...a reasonable $2800, that's hilarious.
    Not slighting the amp, just at how we justify costs for our GAS. But then again, this is one of the primary reasons that I maintain a separate account that all of my band money goes into.

16. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

You have to keep it all in perspective. I've recently seen a couple of heads go for $2600. I paid $2800 for both, head & 2x12. A Celestion Blue speaker is like $250 new by itself. They are close to $38-3900 new last I checked. I don't think you'll see the heads drop to $1500. Believe me, it was at the very top of my limit for an amp. I bought both pieces seperate (couple of months apart) so it wasn't too bad. Considering I could have spent $500 more it was fair to me. Both were "as new" - not a mark on them.

17. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

i actually dropped by a store in atlanta the other day on tour and i've been really wanting to try out the /13 line.. being a matchless fan i figured something of that caliber would be cool.. played a jrt 9/15 and the ldw 17/39 (i forget what order the letters are in) anyway.. played a lot of cool stuff in that shop.. fuchs train 45 and ods 50, nick greer jcm 800 copy.. and some fargen stuff.. i debated on spending any money that day.. but when i played the /13 stuff i was floored.. walked out the store with the jrt 9/15.. its the string to string definition and the response that sold me on the amp.. i'll definitely be buying another one in the near future... eyeing either that 17/39 or the ftr 37..
    Jon
    www.bdpmusic.com

18. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

We are spoiled by the low prices that the big amp companies can charge. Sure, somebody could build a similar amp for less but IMO that's not the point. I've built a few homebrew amps and I'm fairly certain that if I were building/selling amps they would have a similar price.

I really, really wanted /13 amp but when I asked about an FX loop on the click channel I was told; "Not gonna happen" so I never gave them a second thought. It's 2006, we have the know-how to make things like FX loops work. I'm not buying an amp that doesn't have every feature I need...plus the tone. If they are now incorporating FX loops into their amps...I may have to give them a look again.

19. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I got a kick out of that one too. I own an FTR 37 and this is my favorite amp ever. It is a great platform for pedals too but most of the time I'm only using a wah wah and nothing else. The amp is killer all by itself.

It is loud nowadays based on what I've experienced as far as levels go inside a club. Sometimes I can open it up a little bit but even in half power it's still pretty powerful.

It also sounds great with every guitar I've thrown at it from my R9 to my son's mini-strat Squire thingy.

-Rich

20. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Boutique Guitar Exchange I assume...I've yet to go down there as I'm afraid that if I do, I'll play one, I'll like one, I'll want to buy one, etc....
    It's a sickness for sure.
    :BEER

Right now I'm still just wanting to find a nice 2x12 for my 'new' Guytron. I gotta get some enjoyment out of that before I start preying on something else.