What is up with these /13 amp names?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MBreinin, Jul 9, 2008.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I don't mean this to be a rant, but I can't get around companies that give their products names that practically require a manual to decipher. One of these companies is /13. First of all, Divided by 13 is a bizarre name for an amp company. I am sure there is a meaning there that I am not hip to. But their amp names give less than zero indication as to what they are...with the exception of listing their wattage output. I had no idea that a CJ11 was an updated Tweed Deluxe design, until I went over to their site to take a look at their products. That is an amp that really appeals to me, it sounds like the perfect Deluxe to me, actually. I realize the CJ are the initials of the person who originally requested that recipe and 11 is the wattage...but am I in left field here when I say that these amps have terrible names? Am I alone? Nothing in that amp's name would have put it remotely on my radar, it was just dumb luck that I took a look at it.

Mike

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I hear what your saying, but other than the fact that /13 amps have letter/number designations, you're not handicapped with his labeling of his product any more than most companies.

What does a Carr Vincent sound like?
    What does a Victoria Regal sound like?
    What does a Bogner Shiva sound like?
    What does a Dr. Z Maz sound like?

You're just used to the names of the other companies product. Nothing about the names of the amp gives you the information you need.

Why pick on /13?

3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I can't disagree, but take a step back:

JCM 800 2204
    Vibro-Champ
    YGM-3
    Brown Sugar
    Turbo-Pup

What do any of them "mean" or "say" or "clarify"?

It's a goofy world....../13 fits right in!

4. MBreinin

Oh, I know that there are tons of goofy names and I was going to pick on Victoria as well and a few others. But, for some reason /13 REALLY rubs me wrong. What does any amp name convey? Nothing really, unless it is a name that you already associate with a sound. Who knew what a Fender Deluxe would sound like at first? Nobody, but it built up a reputation over time for having a certain sound (by era, of course) so now when you hear "Tweed Deluxe" you have an idea.

But some companies are good at capitalizing on that recognition that we have and giving amps names that we can draw the associations easily with. Some may say this is borderline TM infringement, I say it is good marketing. I know immediately what sound a Fuchs Train45 was gunning for, for example. Or a Ceriatone Overtone Special, or a Quinn Brown Derby...Top Hat Emplexador, etc.

Mike

5. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Slow at the day job today I take it ????

:p :)

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

lol...!!!

7. MBreinin

No, this has been bubbling around in my mind for a while...I just let it out today.:BEER

I guess it was because alot of people nominated a /13 amp on my "best reverb" post. I had to go check it out on the site, because I had no clue what kind of tone that amp would have. I then started to dig around on the site and found the CJ11.

I have seen countless posts for /13 amps and since I had no clue what any of them were supposed to sound like, I pretty much ignored them.

Now, I am intrigued...bizarre names or not.

Mike

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Of all the injustices in the universe of gear, I guess this must be among the worst offenses.

Maybe he should name his amps like this?

- Two-channels-with-lots-of-gain-on-one-and-clean-to-mean-on-the-other-and-has-a-fan
    - Squeeky-cleans-found-here
    - Thunderous-nad-crusher
    - Sounds-like-this-other-one-but-looks-cooler

???

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Dude, the amps are all named after friends and family. The numbers often reflect wattage. If you ask me, it's not bad way to go about naming amps.

10. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

LMAO!!!! Thanks, Leon; I needed that.

Well, gotta' run, I just picked up an Old-School-British-Chime-Meets-Late-60s-British-Crunch-With-V-T-M-B-And-Killer-Reverb-Guaranteed-To-Nail-The-Beano-Woman-Early-EVH-Brown-Sound-But-I-Mean-VHI-Not-VHII-And-Even-Does-Made-In-Japan 1x12 combo from this new company out of Cali called We-Build-Amps-With-Vintage-Tone-But-Are-More-Reliable. Needless to say, I'm dying to play it.

peace
    -jeff

11. andyc

andyc Member

It looked to me that the /13 names were the initials of the person who inspired the amp or first requested that particular configuration, followed by the amp power.

What I wondered about were the initials inside. H.A.D.? (first I thought Howard Alexander Dumble, but I don't think /13 is subbing the work out to him).. :)

12. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

I was told that Divided by 13 had something to do with the math involved with where frets go on a guitar neck. But I don't know if it's true - where to put the frets always seemed like a lot more math than I was ever prepared to do.

13. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

This topic seems to come up every once in a while. In all seriousness, ÷13 means nothing. Fred really dug the way the "÷" looked next to the "13". And it's unique.

H.A.D. stands for Had A Dad. Fred's father was a huge influence in his life--he's the reason Fred became interesting in electronics in the first place. H.A.D. is a tribute to him.

peace
    -jeff

14. teleking36

teleking36 Member

I look at it with this analogy:

Fred's amps are the German cars of the amp world. Obviously, the tone is subjective - so I don't mean it in that light - but as far as naming the amps go, I don't think it could get any easier. Example:

BMW 335 -> 3 Series with a 3.5 liter engine
    EDT 13/29 -> Evan D. Taubenfeld's "signature" amp with 13 watt and 29 watt power modes

Now there are amp names I could compare to the names of some domestic cars that make you go "huh?":

Dodge Nitro -> nitrogen-powered? nitrous oxide boosters? no.
    Ford Fusion -> are we talking nuclear fusion? no.

Seems comparable to names like the Bruno Cowtipper and Headstrong Prima. I'm not discrediting the amps themselves, because they sound phenomenal, but you get my point. What's the difference!?!?

15. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I can certainly relate to the original poster...I've read lots about them here but have never seen a /13 in person, and I could never understand the names, and frankly, they irritated me because they were hard to remember. I wasn't aware the number is usually (or often) the wattage. It's true that most other amps names mean nothing also, but they were not as cryptic.

And I thought H.A.D. was Howard Alexander Dumble...have no idea what the amp is.

John

16. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Ditto!

I'm going to found a company Bomma (part of a nickname people call me) and call it's first amp "ditto" It'll be a dual input twin transistor oxford style amp.

17. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

Agreed.

18. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

If you're a smart manufacturer, you'll name your amp with Google in mind. I have an Overbuilt. Just try googling Overbuilt guitar amplifier - it seems that every manufacturer thinks their stuff is overbuilt.

:jo

19. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

I hear you on the Google tip. It'd be like naming your amp "best amp". It's the same for band names, Google it, don't spell it weird.

20. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

But a BMW 335 has a 3.0L engine! :crazy