What is value of MacBook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dayn, Mar 24, 2015.

1. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

A family member gave me their MacBook Pro 13, with no power cable and an unusable hardrive. Said that they lost their data, and that a paid tech couldn't recover it because the harddrive was kaput.

Do people use these for recording? What is it worth in its current condition? Where is the best place to sell it (or trade for guitar pedals!!!)?

2. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Not enough info. Under the Apple in the top left corner click About This Mac. Copy and paste your results.

3. Moddjobbs

Moddjobbs Member

Seeing as though it seems by your original post that the computer wont power up at this point, try looking at the bottom to get a model or serial number. That is a good start

4. MSS

MSS Member

Have a look underneath, very very small letters there should be a model #....something like A1278 or such..............that will give you a good starting point without having to boot. Then go to a site such as everymac.com and cross reference MBP with that model #.

5. slybird

slybird Member

Without a drive or power you will not get much. I would buy the power supply, put a new drive in, install the OS, then find a use for it somewhere in the house. All-in your looking at spending about $110 to get the computer up and running again.

Also be warned, you may have to purchase a tri-wing screwdriver to open and swap the drive.

6. dayn

Here are the specs based on the serial number:

MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.53 13" (SD/FW) 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo (P8700)
    Intro Date: June 8, 2009 Disc Date: April 13, 2010 Order No: MB991LL/A Model No: A1278 (EMC 2326*) Subfamily: Mid-2009 13" Model ID: MacBookPro5,5 Std RAM: 4 GB Std VRAM: 256 MB Std Storage: 250 GB (5400 RPM) Std Optical: 8X DL "SuperDrive"

7. dayn

I got $200 for it on CL, not bad!

8. soulohio

soulohio Member

I have the same model 15". very serviceable still...especially with an SSD