What is with these $2,000+ Braz boards on historic LP's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by soldano16, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

This has to be the silliest thing I've ever seen. Just saw an ad on another forum for a used 58 plaintop RI, usually a $2,000 or less guitar but the asking is $4,400 cause it's Braz fretboard. From what I've seen, market premium for a certified Braz board is minimum $2,000.

So the fretboard upgrade is worth as much or more than the whole guitar for a 57/58 RI?

I understand market makes the price but this seems really nuts.

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

A Braz board is part of the 50's LP equation for looks and tone.

For players dreaming of a real 50's LP, they don't have very many options:

Historic: 2000-4000 used

Braz Board Version - add $$$$

Pro Aged - add $$$

Real 50's Conversion - much bigger $$$$

Real burst or goldtop with mods - even more $$$$

Real unmodded burst or goldtop - don't even think about it...

While the details such as braz board or long tenon may seem silly to some, they get one step closer to the holy grail. Is it worth $2k for a braz board? Not to me, but it's not my money they are spending.

3. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

As much as I would love to have a braz board historic, its just too much of a premium to pay to me...ymmv...

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

It's just another thing that blows some people's skirts up. You can put me in the skeptical camp as far as tone goes.

6. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I think for the person looking for something as close to the original as possible, having a Brazilian board puts them that much closer.

7. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

If it's all about the tone and getting closer to the 50s specs (and NOT about Gibson rarity and collectability), wouldn't it be cheaper to have a luthier put a brazilian board on a nonbrazilian Les Paul? Probably end up with a better fret job out of the swap, too. It's not as if brazilian fretboard wood is THAT scarce.

I think much of the extra bucks guys pay for those 03s has to do with collectability. I'm in the camp that would never pay that kind of premium for brazilian.

If I really wanted brazilian, I'd either find a luthier that had some or find a cheap 50s or 60s guitar with the right dimensions and steam the brazilian board off of it.

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Yup, did a gig last night with my plain jane R4.

Was thinking the whole night how much better I'd sound if only it had a Brazillion board. I was driven to distraction, couldn't focus on playing, screwed up tunes and ultimately quit the band while onstage because I was consumed with authentic LP tone desire.

9. amigo30

amigo30 Member

Man, that is ALWAYS happening to me. Just like that. Glad I'm not the only one.
    :dude

10. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

as with anything over valued, it is about authenticity and production numbers.

The 03 Historics w/ Brazillians are the closest reissue to date and were made in limited numbers. Simple supply and demand.

11. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

look how fast it sold too. ;)

12. phretbored

phretbored Member

A friend of mine just sold a 2003 '59 Brazilian with an amazing top...it sold for close to $10,000.

About a year and half ago I had a 2003 '58 Brazilian that was just spectacular playing and sounding.
    Traded it straight up for a super rare PRS Artist Series I Semi-Hollow Burst...or $5000 - $6000 in value.

The prices on any of these guitars, 2003 Les Paul Brazilian or any other guitar, is what somebody is willing to pay.
    It is not the guide price, list price, store price, or any other price than what somebody is willing to pay.

People are willing to pay a lot for the 2003 Les Paul Brazilians.:AOK

13. JMG

JMG Member

What's with $2,000+ Brazilian fretboards? Well, I attribute that to marketing. 60%+ marketing!

14. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I think you just forgot your red cord. Everyone knows they have better tone (depending on which way you plug them in of course).

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

Any competent luthier could replace the fingerboard on a Les Paul with a real Brazilian one for a few hundred bucks.

16. rusmurf

rusmurf Member

I've had a few, sure is easy to sell a braz lp, if you need to get your cash out of it:)

17. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

To me everything about Gibsons are ridiculous as far as pricing. Any cosmetic upgrade on a gibson in general cost a fortune. The difference for a bound body vs an unbound (studio vs standard) is around 1K difference. I know there are a few other subtle differences but lets get real. I just looked at musicians friends website and looks like all the Gibson line went up a few hundred $$$ for guitars that were already overpriced. Good luck to them. Buy used and play for free!

18. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

It's the more money than brains syndrome :Spank

19. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

The cost of the Brazilian board adds, what, about $70 (AT MOST) to the manufactured cost of the guitar...?

20. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

P.T. Barnum had it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.