What is your Achilles' Heel?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by metropolis_4, May 25, 2020.

1. StevenA

StevenA Member

Seriously, I have an iron ear for tone. I’m good with steel and nylon strings, but I can’t manage overdrives, delays, buffers or anything else. Everything sounds just fine.

2. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Lately my Achilles' Heel has been back pain. I did over 200 hundred gigs last year with relatively no pain. Right before the shut down I hurt my back really badly (right before a gig on March 14-last before shutdown). I played a 3-hour neighborhood social distancing party on Saturday and was in a LOT of pain still!
    Playing wise sure I have deficiencies, I wish I played better jazz, knew every Latin feel that existed, and wish my nylon string classical chops stayed a 100% while I'm busy gigging other styles. I always feel like I'm re-acquainting myself with my classical guitar if I haven't practiced daily!

3. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

I don’t suffer fools. So band mates.

4. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

It all starts when I pick up a guitar......

5. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

Getting out of my head and focusing on playing. When I do, it's magic. Sometimes it's hard won.

Could be some ADD or something.

vernplum likes this.
  6. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Lack of "musicality". I'm reasonably happy with my technical competence, but I couldn't compose an interesting solo to save my life.

J Factor likes this.
  7. just-1-more

just-1-more Member

I struggle getting things up to speed. Even with economy picking I often can’t get things as fast as I want. I know, keep practicing and speed will take care of itself. Maybe I just lose interest too early.

Mark Knopfler is one example of someone who plays this way. He reckons having the dominant hand on the fretboard makes mending and vibrato easier. Pros and cons either way.

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Have felt incomplete as a player because l've been cursed with smaller hands ...
    Thus no matter how hard I've tried, been unable to use my fretting hand for forming thumb over chords or pivot tones, just couldn't pull it off ...

9. PaulHudgins

PaulHudgins Member

Overly self conscious and nervous when playing live, those two things feed off each other as well and have kept me from enjoying some gigs because sometimes I can't get out of my own head. When it's bad I'm on stage trying to block out the conversations in my mind so I can focus on the music. While that doesn't always end up in mistakes it does shut down my playing so I am unable to play as freely as I would otherwise and if there are mistakes that just gets amplified mentally. I have some other purely technical deficiencies but nothing that has a real impact on my playing or that I can't work around. It also stinks because when I was younger(teens and twenties) I had no such issues on stage and I always loved playing live.

10. macrossgeorge

macrossgeorge Member

Mine is my memory also. I even forget how to play riffs and guitar parts that I wrote even ones that I have written many years ago. Realizing this I have begun video recording myself playing my own songs so that when I forget them I can see how I played them.

11. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Lack of patience - I get bored practicing stuff and start jumping around - slows me down a lot

BenoA and Babaroo like this.
  12. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

you are beautiful, man...just be

13. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

laziness, for lack of a better word...my son is a successful pro guitarist, and if i had half his drive - well, i don't, so i have to be content with my musicality and creativity

14. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Too many to list.

15. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Maintaining enough focus to really think through changes (keys, notes, harmonic context) without slacking off.

I tend to get lazy and mentally slack off and cheat by ear and with patterns and then I eventually go off the rails.

-bEn r.

BenoA likes this.
  16. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

In terms of technique, I feel like I could stand to pick softer more often...just generally lowering my right hand pick attack about 20%, especially at the beginning of longer solo breaks. When I do that...I find I play better solos if I leave myself room to build it up. Shorter solos...I don’t mind coming in loud n proud.

I’d like to learn to do hybrid picking better. I can finger and Travis pick just fine, I just don’t have the legato, hybrid chops thing together yet.

Philosophically? I can get into the habit of playing what I know will work in favor of really searching for something new every time. I’m most excited by my playing when I play something I’ve never done before.

I need to learn how to read music...It’s shameful that after all the years I’ve been at this, I still haven’t gotten that discipline together.

I should also really dig into melodic minor more. It sounds great...but I don’t really tend to bust it out too often.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  17. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

don't practice enough.

18. Babaroo

Babaroo Member

Dropping or adding a beat here and there..... probably from playing a lot by myself .

19. Babaroo

Babaroo Member

20. rizla

rizla Member

desire and motivation