What Is Your All Time Favorite Mesa Boogie Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Jun 3, 2019.

1. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

Son Of Boogie & Blue Angel.

2. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

3. AVWIII

AVWIII Member

Definitely the TA-15 for me. Sold mine as it was way too loud for my uses, but not a day goes by where I don't try to justify buying another one.

Neff and Dr. Tweedbucket like this.
  4. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

I’ve owned multiple Mark IIB’s, Mark I RI’s, and a Mark III. All combos, and liked them all a lot but I never totally bonded with any of these Mesa’s.

I’ve always wanted own a vintage Mark I or a Kingsnake. Never played either amp, but I’m confident that a vintage Mark I or a Kingsnake, would be my favorite Mesa.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  5. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

Hm. Tough question. I’ve owned (* indicates still have)

Tremoverb
    Mark IV combo
    Mark 5:25 head
    TC-50 head
    TC-100 head*
    Mark IV combo (again)
    California Tweed combo*

ALL of them sounded great. As for favorites it would be the CT, Tremoverb, or TC-100. If pressed, it would probably be that order.

6. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

out of the ones i've played? my revision F dual rectifier

honorable mention to the blue angel

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

the kingsnake, from clips ive heard, always sounds great.

Dr. Tweedbucket and Gridlock like this.
  8. flognoth

flognoth Member

Same here, rev g
    [​IMG]

9. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

Another Blue Angel here

10. jujube

jujube Member

Boogie Mark I. I have all three iterations of the Mark I and hope to acquire a couple of pre-75 models some day. Although, I think that I would be fine with the any of the older Mark II series amps, Lonestar or the new Fillmore 100.

11. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

I've owned Mark I, Dual Recto, Blue Angel, TA-15, Mini-Recto. My favorite was the Dual Recto. That thing had a boatload of killer vintage tones in there.

12. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

Tie between Mark V & Triaxis.

13. Al Rose

Al Rose Gold Supporting Member

MKIIC+ 60 watt with GEQ, Reverb and an EV.

Al

14. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

Love this thread. I feel like sometimes Mesa gets lost when we talk Boutique amps, but they basically invented Boutique amps and it’s awesome to see all the other Mesa fanatics come out of the wood work!

I’ve had:
    • 98 Dual Rectifier bought new
    • Mesa Studio Preamp
    • Mesa VTwin preamp
    • Mesa Triaxis/2:90
    • Mesa Mark III blue stripe (recently plus modded)
    The recto was gigged hard. Several hours, several times a week for 8 years. It never even broke a sweat, and sounded awesome.

The Triaxis wins for flexibility, but rack gear sucks. A Triaxis Head would be REALLY cool.

Is that a full size Marshall 1960 cab? The Fillmore looks gigantic!

Mods or Maintenance? Love my III as well.

Sexy.

15. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

16. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I’ve owned a gajillion of them since the early 80’s.

For which one I’d actually choose to use....

On a big stage with no volume concerns playing a broad variety of music... Triaxis. Gigged one for 15 years and loved the hell out of it so I voted with my wallet and my gigs.

More limited range of tones needed? The Mark series was always my go-to. I’d probably say a Mark V. The whole “90 watts is too much” thing confuses me. Mark series boogies get so much of their goodness at the front end, I never have a problem adapting to different sized venues with a simul-class one. Yeah, I like them better louder but they work better at low volume than most other high gain amps, (My back on the other hand likes the studio .22 LOL).

Actual “favorite” in terms of ****-eating grin...toss up between a Randall-modified Princeton “pre-boogie” I played in the 70’s (just blown away, nothing had ever sounded like that up to that point) and the first “real” boogie I played, a Mark IIC+.

17. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

For me it was my old MKIII black dot Colosseum head. It was a beast of an amp. Best MESA I ever played. I sold it to fund a Quad preamp and Strategy 400 power amp setup that was more versatile, but not as great sounding....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  18. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Yeah!!!
    It’s a beast. It’s not my favorite amp, but it does what it does the best of all my amps. And with all the new OD pedals, I can really dial in that sledgehammer tone.

19. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

I've had a DC-2 that was great, then I traded it for a Dual Rectifier. The DR was massive, but too much for the sort of music I did. I did really like its clean which surprised me, and naturally the crushing metal distortion was awesome. I had a Lonestar Special for bit, and boy did that bring the tone - probably the best sounding Mesa I've ever played, especially clean and low gain breakup. Unfortunately as a combo it was too big and heavy to move around and ended up going to a very deserving home.

Now I rock a Mark V:25, and that thing is fantastic, it has great cleans, great low gain, and great high gain modes. I use it at home and take it out. Super portable and gets the most play out of all my amps (probably because I can just grab it along with a pine 1x12 with a Neo speaker and be out the door). And it definitely sounds great. Maybe not quite as great as LSS for what the LSS did best, and not like the DR for what that did best. But, it does both clean and gain really well. Surprised me for such a little amp with dual EL-84s.

funkbuero and Dr. Tweedbucket like this.
  20. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

My stock answer to questions like this is "my favorite Mesa is the one I am playing through at the moment".

In all honesty though, it's a hard question ... simply because of overlap (as others have said) and different applications. For cleans, jazz tones, and slick lead ... I love my Mark IV. But, my TA-30 is right up there with it. There are applications where the TA-30 is more versatile and of more use to me than the Mark IV.

If I had to go with only one, I would pick the TA-30. Wait. No. Make it the Mark IV. Yes. Mark IV. Definitely ... well, the TA-30 is ... Oh, rats. It's gotta be the TA-30 ...

Okay. It's the Mesa Mark 30, or the TA-IV. Your call.