What Is Your All Time Favorite Mesa Boogie Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

2. DonP

DonP Member

I've only owned the Studio .22 w/ EQ and the Studio Preamp (twice - still have one). The .22 was nice back in 1990. Don't know why the hell I ever sold it.

3. Dolphineus

Dolphineus "The game of ball is glorious." -Walt Whitman Silver Supporting Member

4. WayneM

WayneM Member

I have not played the newest Mesa amps...but I still love my Maverick head and 4x10" cab.

[​IMG]

5. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Tremoverb and Kingsnake
    MK1 RI very close second

Blue-moon and VooDooClown like this.
  6. 1GoldTop

1GoldTop Supporting Member

The only Mesa I've owned was a LSS.
    So yep a LSS. :)

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  7. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Haha.. when I was looking for a Maverick this pic showed up in an online ad. I couldn't reach the seller and concluded it may have been an online scam.

8. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

For me it’s the TC100. I still own a Mark V25 that I like too. I wish I still had the Lone Star Special combo I unloaded, but I don’t miss my Mark V 90 watt at all. I wouldn’t mind picking up a dual rec at some point, but I gravitate more towards British tones.

9. Class5

Class5 Member

I have a Lonestar Special which I like and I'm looking for a Blue Angel as well. However, the new California Tweed sounds like it's more my thing, but I haven't seen one in Australia yet.

plan-x likes this.
  10. WayneM

WayneM Member

Damn...I never even thought of selling this amp.
    Definitely a scam and a stolen picture (mine).

Tommy_G likes this.
  11. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Definitely my Quad mated with Stero-Simul 2:90. A fearsome beast without a doubt! :bow And can still get sparkling cleans without compromise, which isn't possible with the MkIII. The MkIII Lead channel and MkIII section of the Quad are undoubtedly more aggressive and more chill inducing than the MKIV to me, although I love it also. I actually prefer to use my MKIV in Class A/Triode with the Harmonics for a nice older style hot rod lead as opposed to the '80s state of the art searing lead that the III produces.

My MKIV Combo with Thiele 1x12 extension is my favorite portable Boogie.

blackba likes this.
  12. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

Maverick.
    Heart breaker is a very close second.

13. Coopster

Coopster Member

I've only ever had (still have) the Mark V:25 head and my recently acquired RA100. I love them both for different reasons. But my favorite piece of Mesa gear is my Thiele 1x12. It makes both of them sound amazing at apartment volume. That little ported beast just makes everything sound massive without killing my pets. I picked up a 2x12 compact Rectifier cab to go with the giant RA head and it really needs volume to knock back the boxiness, not so with the Thiele. That's the secret weapon right there.

14. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for the Mk V 35-had it since they came out, and have Gigged with it ever since-:)

Dexter.Sinister likes this.
  15. scienceguy

scienceguy Silver Supporting Member

Since 2005, Lone Star Special.

CaliCaveMan, Class5 and plan-x like this.
  16. jacklickson

jacklickson Silver Supporting Member

Whichever one is switched off :D

Feely6 likes this.
  17. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

I've really loved all of them I've played. When I bought one I chose a Tremoverb. I would happily do so again, though the Stiletto, Dyne, and TC all look interesting. A Mk III is the only Boogie I may have liked a hair more tone wise than my Tremo, but two independent EQ sections is important to me.

18. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

19. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

Well, since you said favorite, not necessarily the best...

I currently own a bunch of Mesa amps, including a Road King II and a Mark V and, yes, the two 'holy grail' amps of their respective lines, a 'pre-500' Rev C Dual Rectifier and a Mark IIc+.

But my favorite is none of the above.

That would be...my Rev G Dual Rectifier.

You know, I believed I was a 'Mark' guy (since the 1980s) and deliberately resisted Rectos for a long time because I associated them with the 1990s' 'grunge' and 'nu-metal' styles, which I resented.

Then I came across this two-channel wonder for a very agreeable price. I thought what the heck, and pulled the trigger.

To my surprise, it was not what I expected. Yes, it could do that trademark huge bassy wall-of-distortion sound it was famous for. But it could do so many other things, too! Back off the bass and gain and I could find awesome AC/DC, Hendrix and ZZ Top sounds in the amp. Perhaps not 'dead on' but certainly close enough, all that and more, in one amp, without any pedals. I was utterly shocked. And after many great-sounding but somewhat sterile modern amps, I simply fell in love with its warm and organic sound.

Theoretically, my RK II can do everything the Rev G can do (and tons more). But it just can't cop the Rev G's warm, organic sound. Out of the box, and without any pedals, the pre-500 Rev C is the ultimate thrash riffing and shred soloing machine - but it is a very finicky amp in the band mix, and much less usable for the softer styles of music (although I know Allan Holdsworth would probably have disagreed with me here). And the IIc+...well, it is a IIc+. Simply gorgeus. And an amp I simply wouldn't gig. Not (just) because of its value but mainly because of its very limited channel separation. Not a problem at home or in the studio, where you can spend time dialing it between the songs, but playing live, one sound just isn't going to cut it for me, not even if it is the most gorgeous sound ever.

blackba and Steviecaster like this.
  20. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Member

Same here, My MarkIII red stripe. I bought it new in 1987. Others have come and gone, this one they can bury with me...

Other than that a Lonestar would do me just fine

gasman7 and Fishyfishfish like this.