• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is your be-all, end-all FRFR?

leperclown

Silver Supporting Member
Just bought a Denon DJ Axis 12 powered speaker. 12" woofer with co-axial tweeter. Compact, light and rated at 1,000 watts RMS! Sounds very good with my AA3 and GT-1000. Unfortunately, these speakers are no longer in production. There's still a few around. I intend to get another for a stereo FRFR setup.

Cheers
Paul

I have a few different sets of powered speakers but my favorites are a pair of Toa KD-3 keyboard amps that I traded an MXR block logo Phase 90 for.I'm not sure why but they just sound better than everything else I've tried.
s-l1000.jpg

Rear:
toa-kd3-music-amplification-system-audio-speaker-1_29920162134334123873.jpg
Whoa! Ground Control to Major Tom!

Cheers
TRJB

BuleriaChk

I have Roland CM-30's and Ik iloud speakers in my desktop/laptop configurations, and see no reason to change.
The CM-30's are THAT good, IMO... (but what do I know?)…

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I use the Friedman ASM-10. Love it! It is much easier to take around than the 12 and to me sounds less boomy.

Bishop5150

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting.

For discussion sake, why do you prefer the Atomics for home, and the others for live? Furthermore, which factors decide if you bring the Friedmans or Xitones live?
Mainly, because the Atomics are very expensive and I’ve heard stories about them having issues. So instead of putting them through the rigors of gigging and the banging around of load in and load out I prefer to leave them at home.
The Friedman’s are bigger than the XiTone’s so for bigger stages I bring the Friedman’s and for smaller stages I bring the XiTone’s.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up and ASC-10 a couple of weeks back and I love it as well. Using that also for live now and it is great!!!!

Dave Merrill

Silver Supporting Member
Ideally, probably 2 CLR Neo MkIIs, or maybe 2 DXR or DBR 10s, since they're lighter.

Actually, I use 2 Alesis Alpha 112s, because they were cheap. They're not wonderful, but they don't suck either.

Modeler is Helix floor.

TonyCass

I was actually going to open a thread to ask about the Headrush FRFR units. They are so much less expensive than everything out there so I was wondering why.

4 pages of comments and not one recommendation tells me all I need to know.

leperclown

Silver Supporting Member
Just bought a Denon DJ Axis 12 powered speaker. 12" woofer with co-axial tweeter. Compact, light and rated at 1,000 watts RMS! Sounds very good with my AA3 and GT-1000. Unfortunately, these speakers are no longer in production. There's still a few around. I intend to get another for a stereo FRFR setup.

Cheers
Paul

Six weeks in and I have bought a second Axis 12 to run in stereo (or compact mono 'double' stack - the Axis 12's are designed to stack). These speakers are amazing! The co-ax experience is definitely more cohesive than separately centered drivers and the heavy ply (wood) front, back and sides add 'real-world thump' and authority (The tops and bottoms are ABS).

In Australia, the CLR Neos sell for Aus $1,900, while I got the Axis 12's for Aus $700 each. (Note: I haven't tried the CLR - just too expensive, especially for a stereo setup and not keen on the floor monitor form factor).

I was thinking of starting up a separate thread with the subject "Game Changing CLR Killer!!", but I prefer a quiet life ....

https://www.musiconstage.com.au/denon-dj-axis-12/

Fantastic sound, compact, loud!!, wide & even spread (90 degrees), portable - what's not to like?

I believe they were originally marketed as a high power compact DJ solution that could be paired with a matching sub. However, they are the best FRFR solution I have tried (by a large margin - the phasing effect of separately centred drivers has always been disturbing/distracting to me). There is also an Axis 8 (8 inch) version.

Surprisingly, they do not suffer from the flubby bottom end effect reported on many 12inch FRFR units

It's a pity that they are not made anymore.

Highly Recommended!!

Cheers!
Paul

filo01

I have Roland CM-30's and Ik iloud speakers in my desktop/laptop configurations, and see no reason to change. The CM-30's are THAT good, IMO... (but what do I know?)…
Could I ask you for comparison of them? About hiss, neutral sound, "feel" when you are playing...
I already have iLoud portable monitor and looking something a little bit more punchy in low volume. Don't know if e.g. iLoud Micro Monitors will be a progress with the same 3" drivers.

Matteo11

I have a new one coming tomorrow. Mission Gemini 2. Will report back once I take it for a spin.

I had a Mssion Gemini 2 before and really liked it. They are heavy but sound great and I preferred it much more than the ASC-10 I had. ( EDIT: I had the ASM-10 NOT the ASC-10)

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom