What is your current gigging amp solution? Why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by buzzmo, May 24, 2019.

What are you using to amplify your guitar for live shows?

1. Silent solution (modeler, cab sim, or other DI method)

22 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Reasonably-sized combo amp or single-speaker cab

159 vote(s)
    67.1%
  3. Stack, baby (i.e., 2x12", 4x10", or 4x12" or big iron combos like a Twin)

56 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Do you go direct? I use my THR10 for practice & home recording. Isn’t loud enough for gigs or rehearsals with a drum kit.

2. Digidog

Digidog Member

Sometimes I go direct, but if you place the amp properly you can produce sufficient volume for not overly loud band rehearsals - smaller jazz band with drummer, song-book playing quartet with percussion et al. I've used it even with a Big Band, but then you aren't supposed to be heard the same way as in a rock or pop band and the guitar should never even try competing with the horns.

bobcs71 likes this.
  3. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

For hometown local gigs o matter the size venue I use a Goodsell Super 17 loaded with a Black & Blue Warehouse alnico speaker. On the road with my other band I use two Vox AC30s loaded with Celestion blues in small to medium clubs to outdoor festivals.

4. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I thought about adding a Marshall Origin 20 combo. How is it vs the Boss/Roland stuff? Loud enough? Watts in the SS amps?

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

100 watt evil twin 2x12 combo. Because I like it

6. Tom Fontaine

Tom Fontaine Member

It’s currently a modified 5e2 with 18w or so and a 12”. It’s going to be a bandmaster or low power twin I plan to build.

Why? The 5e2 sounds great. And I’ll move up when I build an amp to something louder that I built. That way I can theoretically fix it if need be, and I can always bring the 5e2 if needed and still be able to get my sound nice.

7. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

I run a somewhat hybrid set up. 18w valve amp 1x12 cab, split to a Torpedo CAB to FOH, and run a stereo delay between my amp an FOH.
    I can turn my amp up or down on stage which does not effect FOH.
    Doesn’t matter what size stage or venue, the amp is loud enough for anywhere. I also run IEM with my own personal mixer, if I need more of any thing I can just turn it up there.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  8. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I use either a Mini Jubilee head or a Mesa Mark V:25 into a variety of 1x12 or 2x12 cabs. I don’t play metal so I don’t need the big iron and any larger stages I play generally come with a decent sound engineer.

For church, it’s a Fender Princeton ‘65 RI with a 12” Cannabis Rex speaker.

9. buzzmo

buzzmo Member

Interesting to see the dominant answer be single speakers with around 20 watts. Also, I was expecting to see way more “modeler to FOH” votes; it’s in distant third.

Do folks just prefer having an amp, or are most venues just not using fancy enough PAs to go purely direct?

10. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

For more than 10 years, I gigged a 1972 Fender Pro Reverb. Big, heavy, loud, and wonderful. Gigged a Blues Deluxe Reissue for a few years, modded by Hudson Valley amp guru Chris Davis. Also a marvelous 1966 Ampeg Gemini II G-15, also modded by Chris Davis (to take 6L6s) that was the best gigging amp I ever owned. Heavy and bulky, but it sounded better in any room I played it in than any other amp I've ever owned. Sold it b/c I was having back problems (multiple herniated discs, which are now fortunately a thing of the past). Since then, I've had good luck gigging with a '70s Sano G15 (15w, 1x12"), a '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, and now a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15.

I want more than anything to get another Ampeg Gemini II. Just found a nice one in pristine condition for $750. If I actually *had* $750 to spend on an amp right now, it'd already be mine. Having a child in college is GREAT, lemme tell ya.

11. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Hard to speak to the combo, since I use the head. I haven't even tried the combo but I suspect the rather small cab and 10 inch speaker would tend to hold the amp's potential back quite a bit.

I've gone back and forth with the Marshall Origin and the Boss/Roland amps. The first thing you notice is how well the SS amps hang with the tube Marshall. In a direct A/B comparison, the Marshall might have a touch more presence and immediacy. You'd think that would translate to punching through better in a band mix, but in reality, the Roland/Boss amps just get better at stage volumes, and actually sound plenty present, punching through very well.

As for the volume, the Origin 20, through a big cab, gets plenty loud for what I do. That said, I always maintain a reasonable stage volume. I prefer to be able to hear everything clearly and all my drummers are excellent at playing at the right level.
    I haven't tested the Nextone in a live setting yet (was supposed to do that Saturday then the gig was cancelled due to storm warnings). But I did try the Katana in a medium sized room and the little 50 did just fine. I didn't even get close to cranking it. It had way, way more on tap. The Katana is up for sale, but that's really a matter of it just not being especially good at producing the kinds of tones I enjoy. The Nextone does that way better and seems easily as loud, despite the 40 watt rating. Now the Blues Cube Artist is a brutally loud amp. It has settings for .5, 15, 45, and 80 watts. I almost always used the 15 watt setting, and still the master never got beyond about halfway. It's loud! I'd be willing to bet any of the Blues Cube models, including the baby 30 watter, will be more than loud enough unless you're in a very loud rock band.

I bought the Origin 20 because I knew the 50 would likely have too much headroom for the majority of venues. I live at edge-of-breakup, preferring the amp to sing without being overly distorted. When I want more gain, I have a Klone that works well just to kick it up a bit. OTOH, with the Boss/Roland amps, I can dial in exactly what I want at virtually any volume! Clean with just a slight edge? No problem. Tweed-like mild drive? Just turn a knob and the amp doesn't care whether it's blasting loud or whisper quiet. Plus, they're super light weight and so reliable there's no need to haul a backup.

I went back to a tube amp just to see if I felt a significant difference. Even though there is a difference playing alone in my studio, on stage with a full band, I don't miss a thing. The "Tube Logic" amps feel great, sound great, and are more consistent venue to venue. By which I mean they're super easy to dial in for the room.

All that said, after all these years, I still have a big soft spot for old school, single channel tube amps. So these days the amp I use is dependent on the gig. But if I don't know the room, I'll take the Boss/Roland amps every time.

bobcs71 and BuckshotJenkins like this.
  12. john weires

john weires Member

-As many will say amp choice depends on the size and type of the venue and the physical size of the stage.
    -Also what mood I am in to lift extra iron or what sound I am hearing in my head for that specific gig.
    -Besides volume knobs; pedals, Mitchell foam donuts over the speakers and cabinet placement are what I use to control volume rather than the size of the amplifier or cabinet per se. I currently do not rely on amplifier clipping for my stock sound although it's cool when one can turn things up to the point where that starts to happen.
    -More directional cabinets work best for me on deep stages where I can stand out in front of the cabinet 10 feet or more. My 2x12 Mather convertible back cabinet with Celestion Cream's and RJS 100 watt Marshall style head work great under these conditions. Once I have tuned my pedals and amp the way I want it, the audience is hearing something pretty close to what I am. A win win.
    -Outdoors usually closed back Mather cabinet with RJS or JB Fender Tweed Twin for open back. Indoors usually open back.
    -Though I own three different 22-44 watt 1x12 combo's (Suhr Bella, Fender DRRI, Fender 68 Custom Reverb), I usually don't work with anything less than my Super Reverb RI unless I have to stand right on top of it. Then a 1x12 comes with me. Even in small clubs where not much volume is tolerated I prefer the wider bandwidth and larger sized presentation of the Super Reverb.