What is your favorite 100 Watt amp? Superlead, JCM800, DR103, Soldano, Orange?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
..... or are they a dying breed? :confused:

I whipped out my old 100W JCM800 reissue the other day and forgot how ballsy that amp sounds !! Even at a lower volume, that amp has some thump! How soon we forget. :drink

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
I have two 100 watt amps....71 Super Tremolo (Super Lead) and ODS100 SLX, they are both excelent but the Marshall has those Classic tones in spades!!!

The Captain

Who has forgotten ?
It's all I have. As you said, they sound great at low volumes, when they have a good PPIMV.
It's either a Triamp or a IIC+ for me, through a quad, though I am looking at getting a CA Revo.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
I have played tons of low watt amps and they always sound "small" to me. I just love the way big iron 100 watt amps sound and feel. OD2-100, Revo 100. This coming summer, after I move, I plan on getting some sort of 100 Plexi variant.....

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
I'm kinda weird in that I can't really commit to a "favorite" anything, except for my R8 being my favorite guitar ever.

I have a group of favorite 100-watters, but can't single one out.

VHT Ultra-Lead
Landry LS100
Soldano SLO
Marshall DSL
Mojave Peacemaker

This CAA OD100 SE+ is very quickly making the list too.

stump

Marshall for me, all of them. Although I have JMP and JCM 50 watters, the only 100 I have is a 100 watt TSL.

Deaj

The Mesa Mark V is 90 watts (close enough to apply, yes?) and this contributes to clean headroom in a significant way. It also provides for great low end response. I don't personally have any real world application for the amp's full output but I love what it brings to the table!

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
The best experience I've ever had gigging a big iron amp was at an outdoor gig where we could really crank it up! I brought my Hiwatt DR103 out and let it rip! It was amazing how good that thing sounded opened up a bit. Of course I was playing a P90 Gibson SG ... that helped a bit!

i play a 120watt Sunn Model T and I love it, but I generally prefer 50watters aside from that. I really dig the JCM800 100 watts, though. And I WISH I could get my hands on a Hiwatt!

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Right now it's the VHT/Fryette Sig:X, but I definitely want to check out a CAA PT100.

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
Any Jcm800 or older. And believe it or not i love the jcm2000 dsl's too. I think they are Monster sounding Marshalls. But at the moment my favorite 100 watter is the mesa deuce stilletos II. I was so blown away after having one for a couple hours i went right back to the store to get another one. The most incredible hotrodded marshall tones i have ever heard.

sosomething

The best experience I've ever had gigging a big iron amp was at an outdoor gig where we could really crank it up! I brought my Hiwatt DR103 out and let it rip! It was amazing how good that thing sounded opened up a bit. Of course I was playing a P90 Gibson SG ... that helped a bit!
I had this exact experience last fall at an outdoor 'fest gig and you're right - it was great.

100 Watt Orange through a 6x12 cabinet, wide open with a P90 SG (Classic). Tons of fun and a GREAT sound.

Trending Topics