what is your favorite Bass amp speaker size?

favorite bass amp speaker size

• 8 in

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 in

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • 12 in

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • 15 in

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • 18 in

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

flip-flops

1648961373773.png

Bunther

Silver Supporting Member
The best bass sounds I have heard were played through Acoustic 360 amps with 18” speakers in folded horn cabs. The sound seemed to slither across the floor like a snake until it reached your toes and hips, causing our bodies to dance.

bigtone23

12". They are what I started on, went to 10"s for a couple decades, had a couple short runs with 15", and back to 12".
They work great as singles for smaller, easy to carry cabs.
They sound huge in multiples.
They get great low end and the top end isn't too bright.
Still quick and punchy like a 10", but not as slow and old school like a 15".

Strummerfan

12". Tight response, good overall spectrum of tone, not too bright, not too flubby. And they won't give you a hernia.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I have a pair of JBL 15s more for a PA but they sound fantastic. For bass guitar, I'd probably go with 12s... something like a 200 watt EVM 12 or some SROs. :knitting

E2942

With modern speaker design, size doesn't matter that much, if at all.

Revsound makes a little 2x8" that sounds fantastic & Phil Jones is making tiny little cabinets with a lot of tiny little speakers that are impressive.

Jon Moody

Of the choices available, I picked 12s. I've used 10s and 15s and personally like how the 12s retain the punch and clarity of the 10s but more warmth and low end.

However, my current rig is a 2x6" setup which is amazing.

chris_b

Depends on the cab and amp. I've had them all but for the last 5 years been using Barefaced 112 cabs.

Liko

I'm a 10 guy. My studio amp is a 1x12, but I gig with a 2x10. Love the punch and growl. And the portability of the smaller cab is a definite plus.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
10" for me. I like the punchiness and response.

2x10 with neos is my cab of choice.

Snakum

12s are def my fav for bass. I've used them in closed back, open back, and various port configurations in cabs and in combos, and I like how they seem to respnd. I'm currently using a single 15 but am becoming aware that they're not my thing. I know all about size supposedly not mattering, wrt response and frequency range, and specs on various speakers seem to confirm that. But I know what I hear, across various brands and configurations of 12s.

So I'm putting a 2x10 on top of the 15 to even it out. I know .... I know ... "two by tens can have a lower response than even an eighteen and the physics says ... blah blah blah ... "

But I know what I hear.

15. With out a doubt.

When I was a kid, my main rig was an SWR Goliath II and a Triad I. If it were up to me, I stacked the cabs like everyone always did- 4x10 on top. Some nights my rig sounded awesome... I don't know how long it was before I figured out it was when someone stacked my cabs for me that my Triad was on top- so I was hearing the 15 more than the 10s- and I liked the sound of the 15 better than the 10.

If I had it my way- I'd have 2 of those new-fangled, lightweight single 15 cabs and take what I needed for a show. If I were a rockstar- a freakin' wall of 2x15 cabs...

Last edited:

Lullaby

Oh what you do to me! no one knows
Silver Supporting Member
I have recorded many many Bass Players. I always Mic the Amp, and have found that single 12" Bass Speaker gives a perfectly full sound ideal for Recording.
I've been doing more recording lately and have been frustrated by miccing my 10s, with various "studio" mics. I don't current have any 12s other than in a combo amp I detest. But I think I'll try the 15" as soon as the wife leaves for work Monday :) Currently going DI but that sounds very sterile, most of the warmth is gone.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom