What is your favorite Boss Digital Delay pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I've tried other digital Delays but always seem to come back to Boss for some reason.

When they first came out in the 80s I ran down and snapped one up for a $175 which was a TON of money for the 80s. The thing is, it was noisy. There was a noise floor hum that I figured was just part of the design. It's a bummer, I should have taken it back and compared with others but I never did. If finally died on me but still have itt.

I bought an early MIJ DD3 which I still have to this day. It has the big chip on it and is different from the MIT DD3 which has the smaller chip. The MIJ is a great basic and warm sounding pedal IMO.

I missed the DD4 and DD5 but bought a DD6 pretty cheap which is ok, but the DD7 bumped the DD6 pretty quick. I really like the modulation and some of the other features on the DD7. Still that MIJ DD3 is probably my favorite for just delay tones.

Anyone else familiar with and fans of these pedals?

sanfi4u, Sean Mac and monty like this.
  2. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I still have a DD-5. Compared to some of the newer models I like the practicality of the interface. For me it’s faster and easier to switch between the modes I use compared to, say, the DD-7 I used to have. My DD-5 has the Monte Allums mod so I can cut some of the high end off to make it work better with distortion.

What I like about the Boss delays, such as the great DD-7, is that they are very dynamic and musical. They are not pedals that just replicate what you play, they react to it in a practical and musical way.

RevelBandGuitar and Sean Mac like this.
  3. Davin Kuntze

Davin Kuntze Member

I picked up a long chip DD-3 used about ten years ago. I have plenty of other delays, analog and digital but I never bothered with any of the other DD models. It’s juuuust right.

I also like the delay on the PS-2 for what it is. It’s a very different flavor of digital delay with a lot of low-end roll off, sort of the opposite of the DD-3.

stanshall and 59 Restorer like this.
  4. 0xeneye

0xeneye Member

5. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

DD-5 followed by the classic DD-3.

Goofball and Dr. Tweedbucket like this.
  6. SteveO

SteveO Member

7. Ogre

Ogre Member

None of the above

8. 59 Restorer

59 Restorer Supporting Member

I use the Boss DD-2 and PS-2 (go back and forth between Delay, variable shift and octave up).
    I had a DD-20 which had a lot of great features but sold it because I went on to bigger and I thought better things. A Korg Sdd-3000 but we won't argue on the merits or lack of with that pedal.
    When employment issues stabilize I want to pick up another DD-20.

Also honorable mention Boss RV-3 has a lot of delay and delay/reverb options. Very worthy.

Tung-Sol Tube and stanshall like this.
  9. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

The DD-3 has been my go to for years. I've tried others but that one stays on the pedalboard

10. 100JH

100JH Member

I love my DD2 and pair it with a T-Rex replica and an EP-Pre (Chase on order) before both. I try to keep my pedals simple, no Timelines etc.

11. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Supporting Member

DD 20

The 23 seconds of delay has been a lot of fun for building "ambient loops" lately.

Picked it up locally for less than 100 euro last year.

:)

12. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I’ve been using the DD6 for maybe 14 years now. I think it was the first one with the built in tap tempo. I suppose if I could find a good deal on the 7 I’d get it. But the 6 has never let me down.

13. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Member

I like all of them. My favorite is probably the DD-5 for it's clear repeats, works great with gain. Also love the mod delay on the DD-7. And the DD-20 is still a great unit that can be had pretty cheap these days.

Sean Mac and monty like this.
  14. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

The first Boss pedal I ever bought was my DD500. That made me buy 3 EV30.

I was a rack guy for a long long time though so that's the main reason I never owned Boss pedals.

It's also the reason I checked out the DD500, became mesmerized by it and run it in the loop.

It is an Exp. pedal junkies nirvana IMHO.

FracStrat and ShredSquatch like this.
  15. losrogers

losrogers Member

DD-7, which I miss. It was easy on the ears; rhythmic and musical. Perfect delay stomp box IMO with cost-balance per tones, usability, and quality.
    TE-2. While not a proper delay pedal, the echo/ambience/drone abilities superseded my other delays for washy parts. REALLY miss the Tera Echo.

Edit: DM-2w was another favorite.
    All my Boss pedals are past tense. I should have held on to a few >:[[[

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  16. john l

john l Supporting Member

RE-20 FTW

never-enough and AXXA like this.
  17. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

The only one I've owned was a DD-500, and it was excellent. I'd like to play with a DD-8.

18. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

19. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

DD-7 for me...love the analog mode, 40 sec looper and cool reverse mode.

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  20. Riffa

Riffa Member

I used to love the DD-2, which I sold to a friend years ago. I have had the DD-7 for a couple years now, and I really like it. The analog mode is great. I use a small Throne Room tap tempo box with it.