• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What is your favorite digital delay pedal?

Jdawg

I've got plenty of analog delay pedals but no digital. What would you recommend? I was thinking along the lines of a Boss DD-2 or an early Japanese DD-3. I like the way Bill Frisell sounds when he uses his digital delay. I believe he uses a DD-3. I don't think I'm interested in a digital delay that tries to sound analog... How do you guys rate the DD-7?

StratsRule07

I like the DD-3 a lot. Easy to use and sounds great. The TC Nova is awesome, but it's pricey. If you are on a budget, try out the Behringer digital delay. It gets blown off by most, but you won't find a better delay for the price.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I have the DD-2 and DD-7. The digital modes on the DD-7 aren't nearly as nice sounding as the DD-2, but the analog, reverse and loop functions of the DD-7 are all great. For purely digital sounds that aren't sterile and cold and decay nicely, the DD-2 is tough to beat.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I damn well hope it's the DC Timeline because I just ordered one. I'm off to rob a bank now to facilitate the payment process. :messedup

Jdawg

Thanks for all the responses!

It doesn't have to be a Boss. I just didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars at the moment as I also have other needs.

How do the early DD-3s compared to the current crop? Do the old ones blow the new ones away or are there just subtle differences?

I'd also like to know if there are really no differences at all in the DD-2s and the early DD-3s? Everything I've read says they're the same.

I don't need anything fancy with lots of features at the moment, just something with nice, clean, clear repeats.

peridot1

Go to GC and check out the Hardwire DL-8. I did and I was pretty impressed. Not too expensive.

I use a timeline.

Jdawg

Go to GC and check out the Hardwire DL-8. I did and I was pretty impressed. Not too expensive.
it does get some nice reviews on Harmony Central. And you're right, it isn't terribly expensive. I might have to get over it to GC, as you said, and check one out. Thanks!

LowWatt

Thanks for all the responses!

It doesn't have to be a Boss. I just didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars at the moment as I also have other needs.

How do the early DD-3s compared to the current crop? Do the old ones blow the new ones away or are there just subtle differences?

I'd also like to know if there are really no differences at all in the DD-2s and the early DD-3s? Everything I've read says they're the same.

I don't need anything fancy with lots of features at the moment, just something with nice, clean, clear repeats.
IIRC The early DD-3s use the same chipset, so they have the DD-3 features but a warmer DD-3 tone. The other guitarist in my band uses a more recent DD-3 that he got for about $80 and it sounds great. Punchy (in a good way) repeats.

hacker

The early DD-3s and the DD-2s sound exactly the same. They use a huge chip that Roland used in their real expensive rack units back in the day. Essentially, the signal path is both digital and analog (think analog repeats of a digital signal). I have the DSD-2, which uses the same chip, but it flies under the radar for some reason. I picked it up for $65 used.

Jdawg

The early DD-3s and the DD-2s sound exactly the same. They use a huge chip that Roland used in their real expensive rack units back in the day. Essentially, the signal path is both digital and analog (think analog repeats of a digital signal). I have the DSD-2, which uses the same chip, but it flies under the radar for some reason. I picked it up for $65 used.
I have never heard of the DSD-2. Does it sound like a DD-2?

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I'll throw in the Akai Headrush 2. Standard delay, simulated 4-head tape delay with 4 separate outputs, treble roll-off, tap tempo, and a very useful loop function that lets a person build up whatever mix of noise they wanna.