What Is Your Favorite Fender Piggyback Amplifier?

stratotonedude

I am thinking about maybe getting one. I am most curious about the blonde Bandmaster, Showman, and Tremolux. Though I probably won't know what I am actually going to get until I plug into it. There is a place not too far from me that has a selection to try out.

How about y'all?

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
I've had a brown T'lux 2x10 rig for over 20yrs now. It'll do, you know?

You're talking about a big range of wattage and two different trem circuits (which I assume is part of the attraction since you didn't mention the Bassman). How important is power tube clipping to you, and how important is the multi-tube "harmonic vibrato" circuit? They're all good amps assuming the speakers, filter caps and transformers are in good shape, but they serve different purposes, esp. at a time when turning up an 80w amp is increasingly impossible in most clubs and theaters.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
I am thinking about maybe getting one. I am most curious about the blonde Bandmaster, Showman, and Tremolux. Though I probably won't know what I am actually going to get until I plug into it. There is a place not too far from me that has a selection to try out.

How about y'all?
I prefer the Bassman to all three you listed, especially the Blonde Bassman w/ presence knob. I like Showmans too - in fact there's one for sale at Jensen Music in Santa Barbara, w/ 2x15" cab, for $1200.

I dig Tremoluxes, but you can run out of headroom in a hurry with those. For a mod platform, the Showman, Dual Showman, and Dual Showman w/ reverb are great.

They're all good amps assuming the speakers, filter caps and transformers are in good shape, but they serve different purposes, esp. at a time when turning up an 80w amp is increasingly impossible in most clubs and theaters.
True dat. The landscape sure has changed in 30 years - in '77 I could use a 50w Marshall half stack in many clubs I played - it was somewhat expected. Not true nowadays - I'm regularly asked to turn down my Tone King Meteor II now, when running it at 20w, and turned up to like 4. Different times (GRIN).

Have fun, Dana O.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned a white Bassman and a Silver-faced Showman Reverb. Both were cool, but I'd have to go with the Bassman.

mrbungel

My 64 blonde Bassman, better tone than a Showman, breaks up sooner, and Showmans have too much power, unless you play loud surf music.

boltino

I don't have much experience with other piggyback Fenders, but I love my 1964 Blonde/Blackface Tremolux. I usually jumper the channels with a TS-808 in between. It sounds soooooo goooooooood!

mwc2112

Gold Supporting Member
My '66 Bassman... which I sold... which makes me an idiot.

I want that amp back. :(

kanderson

Tremolux for me. I used to own a '65 Tremolux that sounded sweet. Sold it years ago for what I paid for it... $300... :jo

<sigh> .... what do one of those things go for now?

bluestarbass

What makes it a piggyback? Is that just a nice way of saying fender heads arent the same size as the cabs, like marshalls, so you just stick them on top?

I think mine is, fender prosonic on a matching cab. HAWT!

JES1680

Gold Supporting Member
I can't decide.....There's a 64 Bassman that I can't seem to find a pic for as well.

stratotonedude

I'm just going to try some out. The only reason I thought about trying some out and possibly buying one or two is that I have never had that kind of amplifier before. All things considered I don't have a particular sound I am looking for. I just think they look cool. And if I find one I really like I'm going to get it.

magnusb

What makes the difference between the Bandmaster and the Tremolux and what kind of cabinet did the '64 Tremolux come out with?

Custom50

for me, personally, the blond bassman leaves them all in the dust. I'm just especially fond of the bassman, and that particular circuit of bassman. The rest of the amps are, quite frankly, spectacular as well.

Trending Topics