What is your favorite neck profile and shape?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lysergik, Sep 3, 2019.

1. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

A proper Baja 50s neck, very soft V, narrow shoulders, full. Unfortunately, I've also had two which were not proper.

The other is a medium C John Page 12" radius carve.

2. Andrew VonWinge

Andrew VonWinge Member

I like the old U shape although I just got an Ibanez RG550 with a crazy sweet neck that may have belonged to Harry K Cody from an 80s band Shotgun Messiah. That guy is Bitchin Wicked! Check them out..

3. twotone

twotone Member

Modern C or flatter radius D profile.

4. Kostas

Kostas Member

No one in the world makes the dimensions I want unless I custom order it. So far from all the necks I have played I believe these dimensions would be ideal for me: .860" - .920" with 1 11/16" nut width. Asymmetric shape (rounder on the thumb side and slimmer on the finger side) with C shape as a second option. I'm curious for 1.650" nut width and really curious for a neck that starts thicker and ends up thinner. For me it makes sense to have more mass up when I play more chords and as I go closer to the neck heel to feel less wood to make playing easier.

5. Frank67

Frank67 Member

Definitely fat. My Warmoth guitars are fatneck or boatneck and I love it.

Lysergik likes this.
  6. Starshine

Starshine Member

I have two Gibsons with the 50s Rounded profile. One feels pretty good but is hard to tell apart from a slim taper. The other on my 2018 Classic though is amazing. Chunky but comfy in a way a 50s baseball bat never is to me. Add that the satin finish feels amazing and it’s my favorite neck of all time.

7. bonga

bonga Member

Got a Warmoth strat replacement neck that had the Boatneck profile. Love it, especially with the 1 5/8 radius and 6100 frets.

I have found that more than the thickness of the neck, it is the nut width that makes the biggest difference to me. I love necks with 1 5/8 width and some amount of reasonable girth.

8. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

Yes, yes I do. My guitars are all different with respect to the neck shape. I've had the hard V's and liked those to the skinny, flat necks which I can play but don't particularly "wow" me. As far as radius, I like the 9.5 to 10 radius. I am comfortable with 7.5 but don't like the necks too flat.

9. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

860U with a 10" radius, 1.650 nut width and 6125 fret wire. Maple harvested from a east facing hillside, rosewood that has been hand burnished by tiny hands. The first part of this is true.

Lysergik and earthmud like this.
  10. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

7.25-9.5 compound radius, u profile at .85 @ first fret. 6125 or 6105. 1.65 nut.
    I have three of these and they all feel great. The neck you made for me with these specs is the most comfortable off the three so it must be the tiny hand treatment.

K-Line likes this.
  11. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

C shape, about .810 or .820 to .880 or .900, 1.687 nut width, 10 or 12 straight radius.

Those Ibanez wizard necks are the complete opposite of what I like in a neck.

I still want to try out one of those strandberg necks.

12. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

The PRS Pattern neck fits my hand better than just about anything I’ve ever played before. That said, I’m rapidly falling “in like” with the angled neck on my Strandberg, it’s both super unique and easy to play.

https://strandbergguitars.com/strandberg-endurneck/

13. biter

biter Member

The neck profile on the Peavey Tracer, Nitro and Vandenberg are like they were made for my hand.. followed by the Ibanez Wizard

14. Lysergik

Lysergik Member

Did it help you with using your thumb? I heard the V is great for guys that wanna do the Hendrix thing and use your thumb.

15. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

Schecter has one they're calling "Ultra Thin-C" that is my favorite neck and they have it on several models now. Schecter, if you're reading, put it on the PT next year. Thanks.
    EDIT: Also rerelease the normal Hellcat with that neck and I will buy it. There you go. One guaranteed sale on the books!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  16. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

Clapton strat, best neck ever!

17. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

The current compound radius necks on Fender American Elites are currently my favorites available. My very favorite is the soft V of my '81 Dean Z (Explorer).

For Gibsons I like the '60s slim taper but I've noted that there's a great variation among them. The one on my '01 ES-335 Memphis Dot Reissue is exceptional.

18. burner

burner Member

HARD "V".
    Everything else is NOT a hard V.

19. WoodenDuckMaker

WoodenDuckMaker Member

Big fat 50’s baseball neck. That chunkiness makes it feel substantial. Probably helps a bit with sustain and tone.

20. Gclef

Gclef Member

I am a fickle S.O.B.

I can play anything but hard v type necks.

I prefer 1 11/16 nut.
    24 3/4 scale
    Big frets
    Cream binding
    A fatter c shape or an elliptical profile

The actual shape preference changes pretty much daily.