What is your Favourite Modeling Amp?

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
I want to know what "real amp" forum members think is the "best" to his/her ears. The ones that you have played all this years. I personally love the good 'ole Fender Mustang amp. I know some love the Katana etc..

What is your Favourite Modeling/ "do it all" amps/profiler etc..?

rawkguitarist

$250 on a 1x12 Katana combo... man, its hard to beat. I'd rather have one of these than a lot of tube amps. yup - I said it.

If we're talking modeling going direct for recording or live I'd have a Fractal AX8. Its the first unit that truly tempted me to get a modeling rig for some gigs. BUT, I haven't given in yet. I play with guy's that have the Fractal's and they sound amazing.

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer the Axe FX, but that may change.

I had an FX8 that wasn’t reliable and I had an issue with a return of an Axe FX. Not the best customer service. The real nail in the coffin, though, was the promised updates on the FX8 that never materialized. It was important to have these updates as the Unit had software issues. Folks over at the Fractal page were basically told to pound sand.

The Kemper stuff is intriguing, but there are a few things I don’t dig about it.

In the studio, I just use the Brainworx or Universal Audio stuff.

In terms of an amp and nothing else, the newer Fender Champion 100, which is basically an updated and revised 2x12 version of what the Mustang used to be before it reached its modern five-car-pileup incarnation.

If we can use a compact floor modeler, the Atomic Amplifire 3/6/12 into the FX return of any good combo, the aforementioned Fender included. I'm very, very happy with that as my alternate rig, and the producers I've worked with have loved it.

LaXu

Helix Floor. Best user interface by far. Could use better reverbs.

I also like the Yamaha THR100HD for its amplike simplicity but it has its quirks and could use an upgrade by now.

mdubya

My Fender Mustang I was a great low volume solution.

I have moved on to a Fractal AX8. There was a considerable learning curve to become completely happy, but it sounded great out of the box and I have since become a pretty serious user of the platform, to the point that is is my choice to use over anything else (real amps) at this point.

oneblackened

the best sounding modeler I've ever used was a Fractal Axe-FX 3. It's stunningly close to the real thing sonically and the feel's not far off either.

DRS

I've got a HD 500 and had Mustang IIIv2 and the vote goes to the Mustang
You can actually gig it as is and the interface both on the amp and using Fuse software is easy and intuitive
It sounded just as good as the HD 500 and better on Fender BF models
The HD 500 sits stored in closet and I am using a MkV25 now with pedals

Jim234

Fender Mustang iii v2. Gigged one for over 12 months. Kat 100 Mkii. New boy on the block and thinking of gigging it. Both cheap as chips and yet punch above their weight.

MickeyJi

I snagged a Mustang 3 v.2 from a friend today who needed to unload it and I really like it! It may be a bit outdated by now, but the Fender amp models in particular sound very good and it doesn't feel too digital and artificial at all. I could gig something like this, easily.

Strat335

I have a Katana 2 x 12. Killed the GAS. Ok, it didn't kill it, but I don't "need" anything else.

DeadLazy

The Kemper, hands down.

It lets me profile my amps and cabs and it works.

Profiling is important to my work now but it’s also a hobby all it’s own.

I am on the amp hunt and I bring them home and learn them and profile them and keep and preserve them.

Love my tubes and love my Kemper. They were meant to be.

**Today I’ll be working on profiling a Ceriatone Chupacabra 50 through a Marshall 1960a 4x12 and a Marshall SV20 as well.

bobcs71

Die hard tube amp guy here.

I've played Vox, Line6, Kemper and I didn't think any of those had anything on my THR for an edge of breakup amp sound.