What is your Gear:Skill ratio?

As in, how good do you consider yourself at playing guitar, even after investing in all of these spaceship boards? Not that theres anything wrong with that, but I'm sure there are some amazing players who have but one pedal, while there are some other amazing players with about twenty. So, where do you fit in?
For me, I'd say that my skill much exceeds my equipment, but only for my skill on the classical.
Shoot!

David-R

Silver Supporting Member
I have a modest board by Gear Page standards (Direct Drive, PowerScreamer, TB Loop (TU-2, CE-2, Boost RVB), Nova Delay, Super Chile Picoso, Boss FVL500). Unfortunately it exceeds my skill level.

woude

Hmm. Hard to say, but I'll give it a try from my own point of view. I'm technically not so good at all. I 'allow' myself to buy or to save up for something better if I hear a noticable difference in soundquality between my current gear and other gear, or when my own gear limits my creative flow. For instance; my overdrives don't limit my creative flow and I haven't heard pedals that are really that much better... so I don't gas for overdrives at the moment and those pedals exceed my 'skill' so to say. On the other hand, my amp lacked a few things, so I bought other speakers. Now those new speakers don't limit me, nor do I hear something that bothers me; those speakers exceed my skill... at the moment. :)

Rock72

I will admit that my gear exceeds my skills. That is not to say that I don't enjoy good high quality sound when I work on improving my playing abilities. Knowing that I have access to quality gear makes me want to play. That is not to say that I strictly speaking need all that.....:rolleyes:

Macaroni

There are different gear mindsets manifested here on TGP. Some people like to collect because it's fun and they love all the toys. That's perfectly legitimate, IMHO. Some people just want the essentials for their particular purposes. There's no right or wrong, and it doesn't really depend on your skills as a guitar player, IMHO.

We are in a Golden Age of Gear, and if you play guitar at any level, and have the money, why not get exactly what you want to inspire you to play more and get better? It's all good.

I'm not a collector per se, and I try my best to limit my gear to things that I actually use regularly - if I'm not using it, I sell it. I only have 1 amp, several speaker cabinets and a nice med-large pedal board. I think of all my pedals as different 'voices' I can speak with via my guitar, for various musical 'conversations' that I have in my life as a musician.

i have a very full pedal collection...a pedaltrain pr 2 and a pedaltrain jr stuffed

and my playing explores new levels of suckiness, slop, and tedium

KBN

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting question. Complicated one to answer. I think you also need to factor in what you are going for. For some blues purists, one pedal is too many. For some other styles huge boards are commonplace. It would also depend on if you are the only guitar player in a group. All that being said, I have a large pedal board, but only one amp and cab and four guitars. The amp is expensive, the pedal board is full of midrange priced pedals ($100-$250), and my guitars are cheap (two Epi dots, Washburn HB35, Mexi Tele... I found good ones and replace the electronics.) I think my rig quality is equal to my playing. It is what I need to do what I want to do. I think that is how it has always been for me though. Gear upgrades have always been preceded by growth as a player.

Hm. The point about having good gear that makes you want to play is quite interesting. I have heard the the buying of pedals and achievement of tone is a hobby, a completely different of guitar-related activities. So, another question, who here buys gear because they want new gear for whatever reason, or because they are trying to improve their playing, or because they have a certain sound in their head they want or are trying to find. For me it would definetely be the latter, because I'm still trying to find my voice as a musician and a player.

rul8agn

Silver Supporting Member
My gear = Allman Brothers like skill
My skill = Dude sitting in his guitar room for 3 hours trying to figure out the lead to ABB's Melissa only to still not get it. Though I have to remind myself that I've only been playing for 4 years and to be thankful for the killer gear that I have and just keep practicing and having fun.

gtrshow

Gear >>> Skill, but the gear does inspire my playing which, in turn, greatly aids in developing my skill.

anxiousmofo

Custom Title Holder
Silver Supporting Member
My skills don't exist but I am on the waiting list and expect my day to come at some point.

Bantha

I try to make my gear complement my skill. However, could I sound the same without my Landgraffs, Divided by 13, etc. gear...probably not!

Birddog

Knowing that I have access to quality gear makes me want to play

Best post I've read all day, and very true.

My skill and gear are about equal I guess. My second LP will be coming home next week. At that point, the scale tips in favor of the gear, lol.

yellowecho

If we're going off skill ratios, I should be playing this:
SquierStratPack_Full.jpg

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Hmm, my wah I'd say I have half the skill needed. My DMM I'm pretty happy being a 1-1 ratio. My fuzz and OD I'm just hacking at. So ill say the ratio is a third skill for my whole pedalboard and leave it at that. Hey, room for improvement!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom