What is your greatest ergonomic issue with electric guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGrig, Jul 13, 2019.

1. DGrig

DGrig Member

Sorry to be so negative but I thought this might be an interesting topic. Here we go: I have always disliked resting my forearm on a tele or a les paul. The sharp edge bothers me and I have never been able to get comfortable with either. You?

2. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Neck dive, even a little bugs me bad. It is just not hard to design a guitar that does not neck dive.(No, a wide sticky strap pulling on my shoulder does not fix it for me).
    I do like forearm and belly bevels too.

3. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

Not any guitar parts at all, but in practice/learning stuff, shoulders and neck. I’ve been to physiotherapists, massage therapy and even a doctor of rehabilitational medicine about it. Turns out my trapezious muscles are just built funny... fortunately there’s beer at places I play long sets and the wife is my DD

amstrtatnut likes this.
  4. EON371

EON371 Member

Cool thread idea. I'm with you on the sharp edges, for me on the tele more so than the LP, where weight is the bigger factor. I primarily play a tele and I'd say that getting my picking hand to contour to the saddles just right is my biggest ergo gripe, but that's my fault. Somebody on here put it perfectly; a tele works with you, not for you.

5. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Certain neck carves cause major pain in my hands and wrists. Tingling, burning, then pain. I've purchased three PRS guitars over the years, did not keep any of them past GC's exchange period because I could not play them for extended amounts of time. Traded a really nice Ric 360 for the same reason. It sucks, because all of them were very nice guitars that sounded great, and all of them were properly set up. The neck shape just didn't work for me.

I have not had a problem with any Hamer necks and I've owned a LOT of Hamers. I have an ES-339 and ES-390 that feel great. My Forshage has a gigantic neck and it feels great, too!

6. DGrig

DGrig Member

We were separated at birth. I have a tele you would love/haste. It's ultra lightweight swamp ash with a forearm and belly cut and a fender player's series neck. And.... The body is so light the neck dives like crazy. It's so good I can live with it.

7. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I don’t like dramatic neck thickness/width tapers. I like a consistent shape/feel up and down the neck.

I’ve also gotten used to a certain amount of space under the strings in between 2 pickup guitars. I fingerpick quite a bit and that’s my grab spot. Too flat or too close and I’m uncomfortable. That’s why most strats and PRS don’t work for me.

I like the space of about a vintage spec m69 or a telecaster bridge plate.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    rusty likes this.
  8. El Vee

El Vee Member

Switch and knob placement on a few of mine aren't ideal. There is a fine line between reachable and in the way. I don't even do windmills.

9. Marris Otter

Marris Otter Member

Every guitar I've ever played had too many notes on it.

spikeRI, ckyrost, rickt and 21 others like this.
  10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Agreed.

Having found a neck carve that fits my hands well (.96" at the nut Gibson baseball bat) and finding a builder in Chris who can faithfully replicate that shape and radius is invaluable. My Orion is sitting next to me with a fresh set of TI flats as I type this. Working on a chord melody arrangement of Pure Imagination.

mwhy, Johnny Ninefingers and archey like this.
  11. archey

archey Supporting Member

It's been my experience that some of the most ergonomic designs are also not very visually appealing. It seems with the guitar what looks good and what feels good can be hard to find in the same instrument.

EL 34 X2, Badtone and derekd like this.
  12. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Chris is working on a headless guitar for me right now. Looking forward to it immensely!

I know what you mean, but I think some of them are really cool. This is what my guitar will look like, except I'll have a different control configuration and different fretboard inlays. It's not for everybody, I'm sure... but I really like it! (You won't hurt my feelings if you think it's homely!)

[​IMG]

13. saltbird

saltbird Member

Guitars are easier for me to play when I'm standing up. Even offsets are more difficult for me to play when sitting down versus standing. Both my fretting and picking hands feel at a slight disadvantage. It's not a debilitating difference, but it is noticeable.

g-mane likes this.
  14. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Weight. And bad setups

Mpcoluv, G34RSLU7, GtrGeorge! and 3 others like this.
  15. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

An archtop Orion with an upper bout cutaway?

Color me intrigued. I don't have any trouble reaching the upper frets on mine but I have rather large hands. Explain the various switches and knobs, please. There appears to be a small hole next to the large knob. Is that to allow the mojo another method of escape?

I do like the archtop, especially. The tailpiece is further back for easier access to the tuners. I appreciate that detail after changing strings last night. Mine was built in 2008/2009 as Hurricane Ike kept Chris from being able to shoot lacquer.

16. nashsed

nashsed Member

Agree 100% on the neck dive. I'm amazed that manufacturers don't even check for neck dive when prototyping a guitar. It's one the most evident and obvious flaws in a guitar.

My biggest issue is that the SG's larger/wider bottom forces my strumming arm to be raised an inch or so and this throws my shoulder completely out of whack and causes an immense amount of discomfort.

Badtone likes this.
  17. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Neck or butt dive in equal measure. The latter is one of the things i hate about sitting w an LP.

18. archey

archey Supporting Member

I know what you mean, but I think some of them are really cool. This is what my guitar will look like, except I'll have a different control configuration and different fretboard inlays. It's not for everybody, I'm sure... but I really like it! (You won't hurt my feelings if you think it's homely!)

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Not homely at all! Beautiful looking guitar.

19. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

Weight. I get lower back pain and I find it exhausting to play a heavy guitar for more than an hour.

GtrGeorge! and diego like this.
  20. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

Thin necks and heavy bodies are my enemy :mad: