What is your greatest ergonomic issue with electric guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGrig, Jul 13, 2019.

1. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

2. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

The simple answer to the extra mojo hole is that Josh has had Chris reconfigure his electronics a few times. In this pic, I believe it's:

1) Empty hole
    2) Master volume
    3) Master Tone
    4) Series/parallel for each pickup
    5) Red button is a kill switch

Mine will have:

1) Master volume (push/push for series parallel on the neck pickup)
    2) Master tone (push/push for series parallel on the bridge pickup)
    3) 3-way switch

My fretboard inlays will be hollow ovals just like my first Forshage.

[​IMG]

The upper cutaway is something Chris did for Josh because he likes to throw his thumb over the top. I decided to keep it because I really like the tone of Josh's guitar and I think it looks cool. (I call it the Klingon Cutaway) and . It's a full hollow body, BTW.

mwhy, Johnny Ninefingers and derekd like this.
  3. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

My upper back burns sometimes. Other times my lower back aches.

I do PT exercises and they help, but my back still aches and burns.

4. Valtyr

Valtyr Member

You nailed it. Number one issue for me is lack of contouring. I sold my Gibsons and moved on to other designs. The runner up issue for me is neck dive.

5. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

As age has advanced what with left arm tendinitis, neck and shoulder problems over the years, principal thing for me is well balanced lighter weight guitar when on the strap, a belly cut together with a forearm curve.

That said, a lower rear body bout contour/cut, (although not experienced) like what are on some Michael Stevens models seems a good option for when seated.

Kurt L likes this.
  6. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I play seated, and they have to be right-knee friendly, but pretty much any trad waisted design would work from an ergonomic POV. Neck dive can be a minor annoyance, and I don't like heavy.

Daren Anderson likes this.
  7. Gclef

Gclef Member

Too narrow of a nut it the most egregious offender for me.

Playing the guitar too low. Looks cool. Kills my wrist. My wrist is quite happy with me looking average/like a dork:D

8. stutter chugg

stutter chugg Member

I haven't played a strat style guitar in forever because I would hit the switch. Not sure if it may still be a problem - I feel like I'm a different guitarist now - but back then it was such an annoyance that I gave Hamer all my money for a gold top because i was having a mind meld with their switch placement ethos.

johnnylighton and Badtone like this.
  9. mschafft

mschafft Member

guitar weight

derekd and diego like this.
  10. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

This. I hate neck dive. Playing guitar is challenging enough without having to hold up the guitar lest the headstock hit your shins.

11. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

Neck dive is my biggest dislike, by a large margin. Narrow nut width necks are not fave, but I can deal with it. I could never bond with Teles because of the slab body, but when I played my 2014 Tele Deluxe with the belly cut I was able to join the club. Oddly, Les Paul bodies don’t bother me, in fact I’m an LP guy, but this is probably because that’s what I started on.

Interesting thread :aok

12. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

20 years ago I was having real bad wrist pain, that’s when I built my first ergonomic guitar-Klein style- I just like how they fit my body- haven’t had any wrist problems since

mwhy and diego like this.
  13. PorkChop

PorkChop Member

Neck angle. And where the hips line up relative to where the neck meets the body. I play sitting a lot. SGs and Jazz Masters feel like they have two extra frets out there.

diego likes this.
  14. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

15. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

All the fiddly screws on standard Tele bridges. It's idiotic to have them sticking out right where your hand goes. Neck dive on anything, notably SGs. My left hand is for fretting, not balancing my guitar.

Badtone likes this.
  16. OldHootOwl

OldHootOwl Member

It's funny you mention forearm placement. I absolutely cannot play an Explorer sitting down because it's so big, it feels like a tabletop sitting on my right thigh and, secondly, the back of the guitar juts UPWARD at a strange angle which makes it hard for me to find a resting place for my forearm. I usually wind up with my elbow crooked up awkwardly and that just doesn't work. No Explorers for me for just this reason.

No other ergonomic issues, I get along with most any other guitar (especially V's.... V's are the world's most comfortable guitar).

17. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

I definitely understand the frustration with hard edges- especially on acoustics. I recently stopped into a shop that has the new Taylors with beveled edges, and they are a much-needed improvement in the world of acoustic guitars!

[​IMG]

Daren Anderson likes this.
  18. torn&frayed

torn&frayed Member

You said it.....weight!

19. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I don't like the "Classical" position when playing a V sitting down and it's really the only thing that works. :(

lowyaw likes this.
  20. Davis Dodds

Davis Dodds Supporting Member

I've always wanted to own a full 335 or a CB White Falcon, but I can't get over the discomfort for me of larger semi-hollows, especially for long sets. Which is why I've landed on a 339. :confused: