What is your greatest ergonomic issue with electric guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGrig, Jul 13, 2019.

1. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

When I first started playing back in the 60's I hated Strats...ergonomically, everything got in my way. But it had the tones I liked, so it was worth it to stick with them and learn how to play around it's layout. So, after a year or so of improving on my foul language vocabulary trying to adjust to them, a Strat ultimately became my go-to guitar...and it still is my #1 some 50 years later;)!

Emigre, epauley and macatt like this.
  2. shane8

shane8 Member

anything that's not close to S shaped …… forget it

VooDooClown and Coalface1971 like this.
  3. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Neck shape is the only thing that is a deal breaker for me.

Everything else I can work around.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  4. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

You know what you like, or don’t like. Despite appearances, you can get some pretty traditional hollowbody tones, does not sound as radical as it looks!

5. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Member

A while back I took to occasionally wearing a archery arm-guard like this to keep my LPs from sawing away at the tendons of my right forearm! Then about a year and a half ago I discovered Firebirds which I find to be extremely comfortable in this regard. :)
    [​IMG]

6. macatt

macatt Supporting Member

Put a Van Zandt Blues pickup in there and you might change your mind. Sounds great to me.

S Mac

7. buzzp

buzzp Member

Definitely neck carve. I can figure out how to deal with anything else on the guitar.

8. s2y

s2y Member

Short top horns, heavy weight, v carves are the big ones. While I'm at it, not being able to throw The Authentic guitars in gig bags. ;)

The Strat shape needs minimal modification, IMO. I don't know how Leo came up with the design, but it's killer. Maybe scoop the lower horn a little for better upper register access. Up top, remove that pick guard and/or move the volume knob out of the way. Otherwise, very comfortable. For my needs, the neck could stand to have a flatter fingerboard radius.

I have a Tele-shaped guitar and do NOT like the top horn design. I only ordered that shape so I could use a Hipshot B-Bender.

Emigre likes this.
  9. megatrav

megatrav Supporting Member

I think my issue is that most guitar necks are too thin.
    Which is funny, because I have small hands, but still prefer for a neck to fill most of my hand.
    I am not a shredder though, I play rhythm and my hand cramps a lot if the neck is too thin.
    So, I either deal with it or search for those chunky necks!

10. s2y

s2y Member

How do you grab the neck? Most guys who hate thin necks like to wrap their thumb over the top and grip it like a baseball bat. Switch to something more along the lines of classical and this issue is usually fixed unless you have gigantic hands.

Emigre likes this.
  11. epauley

epauley Member

My PRS custom is out of balanced in the sitting position. The weight of the body forces the neck upward which is somewhat annoying. On the other hand, my SG has the typical neck dive issue. Overtime, I come to accept that the Strat is the perfect guitar for me...wouldn’t change a thing.

12. phoghat

phoghat Member

My ergo gripes usually involve switch location. For, me a Strat has a great switch location. Tele is okay. Most others are less than ideal.

Don't even get me started on the Gretsch mud switch location. Good lord I hate where they put that thing.

epauley likes this.
  13. AxeVictim52

AxeVictim52 Member

tremolo arms that obstruct the controls on the guitar... It seems to vary depending on the design of the tremolo system, the shape of the arm, and the positioning of the controls. I can't stand having a tremolo arm that flops around, but also, I don't want it to get in the way of the volume and tone controls because I use them. on some guitars you just can't have it both ways, though...

Mark Robinson and eigentone like this.
  14. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

If I recall my reading correctly, he told players themselves to give him feedback on how the Telecaster could be improved ergonomically. He wasn't a player himself, but like all great engineers, he listened to those doing the job. Strat was born.

15. megatrav

megatrav Supporting Member

Actually, I keep by thumb behind the neck. I have shorter fingers and thumb so I can't really stretch over the top. I find it easier to play if the neck fills most of my hand.

s2y likes this.
  16. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Not the guitar's fault, but I tend to pull the neck back towards my body which, obviously, pulls the guitar out of tune. Not sure why I do it, but I have to remain conscious of it continually when I am playing - especially live.
    Neck dive drives me nuts as do guitars (mostly Gibson style) with the strap button back of the guitar (versus on the horn like Fenders). I feel like I have to hold the guitar to keep it from flipping over when I'm not playing.

17. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

I'm all but certain that the reason is simple - tradition.

For better or for worse.:rolleyes:

...and I agree that this is indeed a great topic...certainly a welcome respite from all the Gibson-based threads of late. :cool:

18. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

I have a tendency to slice skin from one of my hand right fingers on the leading unbeveled edge of single-layer Strat scratchplates at times when I find myself vigorously strumming funk patterns. Last time it was covered in blood which escaped my attention but not the audience’s.

19. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

That raised slanted pick guard on a Les Paul is something I can’t get along with.
    I take them off, then I’m fine with it.

20. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

I hate that bloody patch cable, it's like a ball and chain. Doesn't matter what guitar. I wish there was an easier way.

Jdstrat likes this.