• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What is your main overdrive pedal? (2020 Edition)

Fu Schnickens

Xotic SL for light OD, or with amp distortion to get heavier sounds.
Earthquaker Monarch for grittier OD

I use them every which way to get the sounds of the songs we play.

Robert Libutti

Silver Supporting Member
Horizon Devices Precision Drive. Lately I've been digging various settings on the Angry Driver. You've got a classic Blues Driver, but low gain Angry Charlie settings make for a nice OD.

Jimmydeez

Silver Supporting Member
I'm using a Walrus Voyager and Benson Preamp together... which pretty much the same exact idea as what you're using (Voyager is very Klon-like).

Broadcast is an absolutely incredible pedal. I had one but sold it so I could get the Benson, simply because the Benson has a treble control... but they are so similar. Broadcast has a certain "wildness" when cranked that I kinda miss.
That’s funny I went from a Benson to the broadcast. I loved the benson but I really love that wildness your talking about.

billbfoot

Barber Gain Changer into
Kingsley Minstrel
I’ve had a severe case of overdrive GAS during the last year, and although I’ve slowed down a bit, I now have a bad case of decision paralysis. ;)

My fav new (to me) OD at the moment is the Vemuram Shanks ODS-1. Full of richness and sheen, yet it somehow manages to keep string and note clarity even when playing chords with the gain set pretty high. The ODS-1 has a sonic smoothness and luster across a really wide range of EQ.

Not far behind it are my Barber GCX and Kingsley Minstrel v2. Never thought about stacking them, though. @inheritsfrom, would love to hear your thoughts and experience related to running your Gain Changer into your Minstrel, where you set the toggles on both, etc. I’ll be looking into that combo tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
I play a Gibson into a dimed Marshall 18 watt 1974X. For that application I like my Klon. Just a bit of volume and overdrive bump.

If I have to turn the Marshall down, something like a Rat.
I’m assuming that’s not home use. I have that amp and it’s loud as hell.

inheritsfrom

I’ve had a severe case of overdrive GAS during the last year, and although I’ve slowed down a bit, I now have a bad case of decision paralysis. ;)

My fav new (to me) OD at the moment is the Vemuram Shanks ODS-1. Full of richness and sheen, yet it somehow manages to keep string and note clarity even when playing chords with the gain set pretty high. The ODS-1 has a sonic smoothness and luster across a really wide range of EQ.

Not far behind it are my Barber GCX and Kingsley Minstrel v2. Never thought about stacking them, though. @inheritsfrom, would love to hear your thoughts and experience related to running your Gain Changer into your Minstrel, where you set the toggles on both, etc. I’ll be looking into that combo tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!
I've only had the Minstrel v.3 for about a month, and not a lot of opportunities to play it. So far I've only played with Suhr Classic Pro S SSH. I am reserving my judgment until I have spent more time playing. One thing that became really obvious to me, though, is how good the Barber Gain Changer sounds. I just can't find a bad sound on it. The Minstrel seems both more subtle and maybe also not as easy to find a great sound... I'm going to give it more time before I decide whether to keep it or move it on.

looper309

Silver Supporting Member
Diamond J-Drive into a Big Muff Pi on one board, Japan SD-1 into Rat on the other board. Not the most glamorous but sounds great to me. Looking into upgrades though.

Trending Topics