What is your motivation for new gear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Eric Porter, May 1, 2016.

1. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

I am currently amp shopping, and having a blast. I've been researching for a few months, so now it is time to get out and really play some amps. So far I have played:
    Mesa : Express series, Mark V 25, TA-30
    Blackstar : HT40
    Marshall : DSL40
    Fender : Deluxe Reverb Reissue (68)
    Dr Z : Maz 18 NR & Therapy

Motivation : To own my first tube amp. Yep, never had a tube amp. Played a Roland JC-120 for many years. Stopped gigging and got rid of the JC, and have used a Marshall Valvestate. Mostly home playing, recording, and an occasional gig.

Why do you buy new gear? Inspiration, bored or grew to dislike what you own? Gig often and need different amps for different situations?

Just interested in hearing your stories. The last two days I've played the TA-30, really loving it. What has been cool was just plugging in straight to the amp and playing, no pedals, and loving the tone without much tweaking. I think the Maz sounded best to my ears, but not as versatile.

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Tone, and feel... That's the inspiration for me... That's everything....but it can run a wide Gamet from speakers you use to tube types, Strat, Teles, LP's running different pickups. And don't forget about all the great pedal builders these days...... It can be quite a science.. But when you figure it all out, it's all worth the effort..

3. MantraSky

MantraSky Silver Supporting Member

As a Tool, as I'm in the studio about everyday.

dsmc80 and lowpaygigs like this.
  4. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

Most of the time, it's just fun to buy new gear...let's not kid ourselves!!

lgehrig4, ducmike, BADHAK and 2 others like this.
  5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I want something that plays and sounds good. And it's easy to maintain.

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

I buy new gear if my current band has a new sound they are into, or I'm joining a new band with a different sound.

7. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Because of this place I've developed an obsessive addiction to always think there must be something better than what I currently have.

joeprs, Geeze, Geetarman74 and 4 others like this.
  8. XSinner13X

XSinner13X Member

for me recently? mostly just because I have been fortunate enough to be able to as of late.
    Good times come good time go, So make hay while the sun shines!

Eric Porter likes this.
  9. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I sometimes buy something to reignite my excitement about playing--a purchase can give you that "zap" of motivation. I'm fascinated by the tonal differences in my gear, so I like to rotate a little. So, I might play for a while and feel a loss of energy--or I get frustrated by my limitations--and I'll think, "Well, I wonder how THAT guitar would sound by comparison?" And that other guitar can make you play for another hour. So it's a big help for me to have alternatives.

10. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

I stopped the GAS stupidity; instead, exploit the GAS of others. My rule is to clearly have a reason or goal before wandering into a store or shopping online. I mix my purchases based my interests, gigs, versatility, reliablity and resale. Big rule of thimb is to avoid purchasing something new, because I refuse to pay a premium. Wait and someone will buy and flip a piece of gear I like at a reduced price -- just watch the used pedal market, for example. Also, never let price drive my purchase. It is not a deal if I do not have a real need.

I use mesa amps for the great sounds on tap, reliability and could easily sell it unlike some boutique today gone tomorrow rig. I have torpedo cab for other sonic options. I scored my rectoverb and two notes used. For guitars, I buy mostly used American made: I have an LP, strat, charvel with floyd, precision bass, classical guitar and martin steel string. For pedals: boss, mxr, tc electronic, maxon, tech 21. All my pedals, well nearly all, were bought used or with a deep discount. I learned basic maintenance for guitars and amps, which helps to take good care of things, as I use my gear often. All have good name brands and could be sold or traded easily. I can cover nearly an gig or session with these tools.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Phletch, MrLahey and la noise like this.
  11. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

Good tones and wanting to own classic great sounding amps.

Next up, a Mark I Mesa Boogie, Mesa King Snake, and a KT66 loaded Marshall.

BADHAK likes this.
  12. la noise

la noise Member

Reasons? Who needs reasons?? :huh

:D

Phletch, MrLahey and ducmike like this.
  13. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Badges? We don't need no stickin' badges.

Phletch, ducmike and la noise like this.
  14. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Member

I write and record music for a living (video games, TV, film trailers) so I have the perfect excuse to buy new toys! I love buying and selling gear but for me it's always about filing a specific need for the gig. As I go I continue to refine the "keepers" and sell of anything that's redundant. Right now I've got a Bogner Shiva 20th Anniversary 1x12 combo for sale here and on Reverb, but only so I can buy one of the heads. It will save space and fill a need. They're all tools, but they're really fun tools!

lowpaygigs likes this.
  15. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

This really.

I tend to completely dive deep into my hobbies. For me the fun is in the research, acquisition, and honestly teaching.

ducmike and BADHAK like this.
  16. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

To have everything in my music room something that makes me smile when I play it and can be used as part of my live rig.
    But also, the whole research and aquisition is a fun hobby in itself.
    Also, as has been posted, to own and play classic gear that was used by your hero's is a big motivation for me. Especially amps.

17. How

How Supporting Member

Girls! I feel I'll get hotter girls if I sound better?

18. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

Psychosis.

Or at least that's what I try to convince the wife when a new piece of gear arrives.

Wife: "what happened?!"

Me: "dissociative fugue?" :dunno

Phletch and ducmike like this.
  19. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Certainly not any fascination for new gear, a la everyone here.

It was the only way to get the basic tone I needed in a new situation where I had only one amp, which didn't work for that. I wanted to not suck.

20. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

Because...

"my name is ________ and I'm a gearaholic"

...others in the room (forum) clap and pat me on the back.