What is your "no amp" guitar recording set-up?

sixty4tw

Hey,

Looking for some feedback and experiences from those of us who record guitar directly into a DAW with no amp or cabinet miking. I'm not really talking about re-amping here, just wondering what you are using for preamp/buffer, cabinet simulator, etc.

For many years I've used an old (Version 1) POD or my little Joemeek VC3Q preamp with decent results. But I want to try some better alternatives.

I use a lot of pedals, and at the end of my chain is the Earthquaker Devices Tone Job EQ which does a great job of tweaking the sound and has loads of boost if I need it.

I've found a lot of "guitar" style DI boxes such as the Hughes & Kettner Redbox 5, but these seem like they are really designed to be placed between the head and cabinet of an amp (dummy load, etc.). I'm looking for something to go between the OUTPUT of my pedalboard and the Hi-Z INPUT or XLR Lo-Z INPUT of my interface.

So far, some products that look promising are:

Lehle Sunday Driver

Palmer PDI09 (passive)

A/DA GCS-2 or GCS-3

Also, the new A/DA Definition Preamp looks like it might fit the bill but I can't seem to find these for sale anywhere just yet.

Tell us waht you're using and what you like about it.

Many thanks!

batsbrew

the palmer requires an amp.
it CAN work on the output of the pedalboard....
but does not sound very good that way.

i've used several amp modelers or software packages over the years,
pods,
rockmans,
tonelab,
amplitube,
sansamp,
yamaha dg stomp,

but gave up after discovering that NONE of them sounded better than a good ole amp.

i think the Kemper Profiling Amp is probably the best thing out there now.

sixty4tw

the palmer requires an amp.
it CAN work on the output of the pedalboard....
but does not sound very good that way.
Thanks batsbrew, I know what you mean about the Palmer, but I might try it since the Tone Job EQ can provide up to 5X (500%) boost of the original signal.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Those Palmers seem to be pretty popular, and you rarely see them being sold as used on eBay (which means they are not often bought and quickly turned around).

My personal best luck has been with the Avid 11-Rack, but in the old days I used a pedal board all summed up in a Rockman - that seemed to work pretty well, also.

Endr_rpm

I was going for a Townshend-ian KERRANG, and it works great for that :) But it does let each guitar (Singles, P90s, Mini Hums and full size HBs) shine through. I use it in the loop on a Line 6 M13, into a Focusrite Sarlett 2i4, monitored on ATH50s or Equator D5s.

bgood

Silver Supporting Member
Tech21 Blonde plus pedals. very good for direct live and recording. I have the Blonde Deluxe for more options live since it has 6 presets.

pattste

Silver Supporting Member
My pedalboard into a Carl Martin Rock Bug. Also excellent for headphone practice. It is analog and has an XLR out.

Rock Johnson

RP1000 plugged into a PreSonus Audiobox via the XLR.

Otherwise, I plug the guitar directly into the Audiobox and use Ampire in Studio One for teh toanz.

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Axe FX direct outs into a Presonus Firebox into Logic

Often I still use a guitar cab via output 2 (FXL block sans cab and mic sims into a Matrix power amp driving a Port City OS wave cab) so I can turn it up and feel it, and also in case I need feedback. But just as often I just go totally direct and listen in the cans.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Amp Sims might not be quite there in some ways for some people, but where digital seems to really excel, is in cab sims. Why not go from your board right into your DAW and use some Cab emulation in the DAW? Either with a dedicated program or some convolution in your DAW.

There's also this in pedal format..http://www.logidy.com/

Have you tried using just the cab section of the POD?

Analog is great, but most cab sims aren't much more than an EQ. Digital gives you a lot of options and maybe sound just as good or better to you.

I don't think it's an issue to run right from a pedals output to the interface's input?

sysexguy

There is no problem running most pedals straight into most DAW audio interfaces. The only caveat is any pedal who really is driving a downstream stage will not give the desired results used alone direct to DAW.

For example a Rangemaster style treble booster or a TS-808 (or clone) direct. To use these you'd need a second stage that gets overdriven by these pedals and then the result is then sent to DAW.

There are many ways to process this signal so it sounds like an amp. You may want to check out the Two Notes Torpedo WOSIII which can be demoed for free. There are lots of fine demos in the soundclips and digital modeling sections on TGP.

I'd also mention that for super clean sounds, going direct/flat is amazing...with an exceptional preamp. In many cases, going direct into a prosumer interface is underwhelming and then plugging into a high dollar pre-amp is a game changer...it's hard to describe but the result feels like listening to records we all know (we're talking super clean sounds)

Andy

Che_Guitarra

POD HD Pro. Once a sound hits the POD it becomes a digital signal and stays that way. From there it's sent to my interface via AES connection.

I only revert back to analog once tracking is done - only if the signal needs a tickle through analog outboard gear at mixing stage. But I try as hard as possible to get it right with my tracking pass.

SteveO

I have a Rivera Rockcrusher Recording, which allows me to use any of my amps direct. It's not exactly plug-n-play simple at first, but once you get a feel for the EQ it is pretty easy to work with.

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
Avid 11 Rack. It's not like playing through an amp, but there are definitely some nice sounds in there. I just run that direct into my Mac Mini via USB, and then into Logic. I'd prefer to slap a mic on an amp, but its not always (or often) an option.

Multicellular

Hey,

Looking for some feedback and experiences from those of us who record guitar directly into a DAW with no amp or cabinet miking. I'm not really talking about re-amping here, just wondering what you are using for preamp/buffer, cabinet simulator, etc.
I don't always run direct. When I am pretty settled on the tone for the song, I will mic up, but when I'm still not totally sure about the mix (other possible overdubs for example)...

I run
pedalboard>
Focusrite 8i8>
Amplitube or S-Gear

Sometimes, I am not happy with the cabs in the above amp sims. I will use Recabinet.

The other things that took me a while to solve were
-that even the tiny bit of latency, which doesn't seem to bother anyone else doing overdubs, drives me up the wall. I think I overcompensate for it. and
-I have trouble getting my dynamics right direct without hearing the live amp so...
I don't monitor thru the DAW. I run a parallel out from the pedalboard to an amp. Keeps my tempo and dynamics right, even though I'm using an amp sim. I just have to get the input level right afterward.