• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is your oldest amp? Use it much?

Jonny D

My oldest amp is my 1967 Fender Bassman head. I use it quite often and it is working very well. It just had a checkup and is back on the road.

OlAndrew

Mid 50s Magnetone branded "MyPal" 6V6 single-ender. I use it all the time. It's heavily modded, though. Just getting an Eminence 820H for it, now.

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
Platinum Supporting Member
There are a few guys here with amps from the 30s and 40s. My oldest is a 56 National Professional. I've gigged with it numerous times; it sounds utterly glorious...but it's a bit loud for most of my gigging situations (4x6V6, cathode-biased in to a big old Jensen P15N) so I tend to use amps that are little lower in volume.

keithb7

1964 Bandmaster. Weekly use at band rehearsal. About 10 -12 live gigs year with it. Never misses a beat and sounds awesome.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Late '30s Vega Deluxe. I don't use it too often, but sometimes it's the only amp I have that can really nail the smoky pre-War archtop tone.

Edit: Forgot that my National Model D is a few years older, from about 1935. I use it occasionally as a practice amp for lap steels or other 1930s electrics.

Last edited:

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Late 30s Gibson KEH (single 8" speaker, converted from field coil, weird bunch of preamp tubes, spray painted silver by some idiot and now covered in Fender style tweed). It doesn't get much use, doesn't like to be pushed too hard but doesn't have much of a clean sound either.

naveed211

My last few amps have been vintage. I had a '79 JMP, a mid-to-late 70's silverface Bassman 50, an early-to-mid 60's Gibson Discoverer and most recently now a '65 Gretsch 6150T. The first three I used for gigs and rehearsals, the Gretsch will most likely be a studio amp since that's where I'm at in my life right now musically.

Last edited:

angusfan

1957 fender tweed vibrolux. I take it to open jams now and then, but it's my main amp I play at home.

Two runners up. Pair of 1974 Marshall JMP 50 watts. Use them for most of my gigs.

Silent Sound

1964(ish. I've forgotten now) Ampeg Reverberocket II. I still use it almost every day. It's had some work done on it over the years, but I gig with it and it still sounds amazing! Which reminds me, the covering is coming separated from the wood again. I need to glue it back down.

I've got another amp I made last fall from various parts that date back to the fifties. I don't know if that counts or not.

BCJek

1965 Traynor Bassmaster YBA-1. I had a 1962 Standel XV Artist, but sold it.

I rarely play the Bassmaster as I have a later YRM-1 that I prefer as it has reverb.

NotWesYet

'67 fender Pro Reverb...bought new in '71. Other than few minor attempts at other amps, a class A 20 watt, ADA, it has been my only amp all these years. Use it at least three times a week.

Tripower455

'69 Traynor YBA-1 is my oldest. I rarely even plug it in, but it's a great amp. No MV makes it way too loud and I have other amps I prefer.

27sauce

'62 Princeton. I use it all the time at home. A few years back I used it for a weekly gig. The '74 VR was my main amp for years, and now it's the '66 Bassman. 225 3 set nights a year.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom